Start by marking “Mistress to the Beast (Urban Fairytales #1)” as Want to Read:
Mistress to the Beast (Urban Fairytales #1)

Mistress to the Beast

(Urban Fairytales #1)

Can this beauty tame the beast?

Her father's shop is more than just a family business. It's the place they lovingly call home. When a powerful property development company stoops to barely legal tactics to force them to sell, Lila's outrage spurs her straight to the source to fight the injustice.

A serious accident left Hunter Jamison's body scarred. A bitter split from

Published June 17th 2008 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Mistress to the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress to the Beast

Start your review of Mistress to the Beast (Urban Fairytales #1)
AvidReader
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5
So many things that offended me.
Kristy Mills
This just didn't capture me like I expected it to. I liked the idea of modern day beauty and the beast, but I just couldn't get into it. I think part of it was that the girl was black and I thought she was latin American. On my kindle the cover model looked lighter skinned and so I started the book with the image of her having a more mediterranean look, italian or spanish. So every time she was described I was thrown for a loop. Throughout the book I kept fighting the original image in my head, ...more
Charisma Knight
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was hot, and sexy as hell. Hunter Jamison, a property developer. He was also deemed The Beast because of his business tactics. Hunter used to be a player, that is until he had a horrible car accident that left him scarred for life. I'm no good at book reviews, so I'm just writing this straight from the heart.

Lila's father, James Saunders was in danger of losing his business to Hunter, and was hell bent on saving her father's business. After sending letters and calling the company in
Nile Princess
My guilty pleasure....

Ok, so I know the premise was slightly ridiculous. And I know that Lila pretty much prostituted herself out to Hunter to save her father's business but, surprisingly, I really enjoyed this book. It was just a well written story. Parts that would normally make me roll my eyes somehow didn't. Even though Hunter is demanding and seemingly merciless to Lila in the beginning, the author does a good job of getting us inside his head so we know he's not just being a jerk for being
Dee's Reading Zone
Eve Vaughn's original story entitled "Mistress to the Beast." An all-time favorite with a modern-day 'Beauty and the Beast' theme.

New book just reissued in July 2017!
Kelly
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
I didn't really care for this book. I don't know if it was because I was expecting something a little more historical (the word "mistress" makes me think of flouncy dresses, demure ladies who are caught in the web of a scandalous life and rakish men who undoubtedly hold a title and own a large house with plenty of land and horses) or what, but I never really connected to the characters.

For starters, Lila spends the first half of the book angry and ashamed that she's basically whoring herself out
Paige
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own, nook, 2012-books
Since Hunter Jamison’s accident that scarred half his face, he’s turned his back on the social life he once lived and has hardened his heart. His women can’t look at him in the face and only want his money.

When Lila Saunders barges into his office, furious over his company using force to buy her father’s store, she claims she’ll do anything to get him to stop. Her father’s fragile health is connected to the stress of potentially losing his livelihood.

With his most recent woman leaving him, he
Meaganr
Jul 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
When I picked this book up, I was expecting kind of a real life beauty and the beast, but instead I got this.
Honestly, I hated this book. I can't think of a single thing that I enjoyed.
There was the semi-abusive main male character who had major anger management problems and who seems to have no problem with basically raping a girl who he has brought in as basically a prostitute.
He was annoying. She was annoying. Their relationship came out of nowhere...I'm stopping there because I could go on
Lady Raven RAVE!
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
LOVEDDDDDDD IT couldn't put this book down from start to finish had to get up early the next morning and finish reading 1:30am thats how good it was for ME. this book for me was a surprise didnt think it would be this good great read must have for a collection.
Zandra
Way too predictable

Okay, the story itself isn't bad, but this is so formulaic and predictable that it's kinda annoying. I actually thought I was reading "Run" for a minute. If you're looking for a generic love story, then this is it. The H is not truly an alpha but is just an asshole. The h on the other hand, is not a wilting violet. She's strong. Unfortunately the transition from hate to love was handled very clumsily and did not make much sense. I suggest grabbing "Run" instead. It may be me,
Bluecreek
Jun 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ir-bw
I know a number of people seem to like this book, but it didn't work for me at all. Lila effectively does prostitute herself for her father, and Hunter blackmails her into it and is forceful and demeaning to her the first few times he does take her. Not to mention I found it utterly ridiculous that Hunter changes around from being a complete a-hole about everything in life to a tender loving partner in one quick moment of revelation. People don't work that way.
Deloris
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What can I say the beast was really a beast and the beauty was just that . When you treat people with love and respect wonderful things happen, In this story a man deemed the beast turned into a prince and his beauty became his princess this erotic fairytale is a wonderful story.
Zoe Readerbee
Apr 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is a prime example of why editors are so important. Would of been 3 stars but there were just so many typos which was very distracting to the story.
Shelbi
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Ok so I had to knock this down a star because of the many typos. I’m not an editor by any means, but the mistakes were glaringly obvious. It almost has me thinking that the author wrote this book with voice to text dictation.

So for a romance, it’s good. The sex scenes are hot and heavy. The plot centers around Beauty and the Beast type bargain so yeah, it’s automatically going to have rapey vibes. Rape is not ok, ok? But you can’t really have a beauty and beast sex book without the sex. And the
Kylie Agarand
A little too rapey for me. And the massive amount of spelling errors and use of obscure words took me out of the story a lot.
Alexis *Reality Bites*
I say this gets 3 1/2 stars!
This was a quick read for me with just a little over 200pgs. It has the Classic Beauty and the Beast theme where two unlikely people find love in an unlikely situation!

Book Summary below from Goodreads
Her father-s shop is more than just a family business. It-s the place they lovingly call home. When a powerful property development company stoops to barely legal tactics to force them to sell, Lila-s outrage spurs her straight to the source to fight the injustice.

A
Limecello
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
D+/C-- read

I liked how ... whatever Lila was about her looks, and how Hunter fell in love - but it just seemed to rely on the romance tropes/genre itself - you believe/know the hero and heroine will fall in love so you're just going to go with it. There were a lot of holes for me.

I did appreciate how Lila was still her own person and fought with Hunter; I just don't believe someone who disgusts you, that you hate and/or fear leads to the best mind blowing sex you've ever had - so I guess it was
SaturNalia
I can't begin to express how much I disliked this book. The main couple was juvenile, plot predictable. Lila is physically perfect and Hunter has facial scars. A lot of emphasis is placed on physical appearances in the story, it's all they talk about. I knew this book was in trouble when Lilia fainted at the sight of Hunter's scars. They enter into a strange contract, which is actually Hunter paying to have sex with Lila. The first night they are together he practically rapes her, but it's ok ...more
Leah
Nov 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: do-not-read
*ehem* Allow me to read an short excerpt from Mistress to the Beast

“Her mouth fell open. His dick was huge!”

I believe that says all that needs to be said. How this got published, I will never know. Why I decided to try to read it—-an even bigger mystery (bigger, even, than his dick).

Protagonist Couple: 0/5
Romance: 0/5
Chemistry: 0/5
Story: 0/5
Side-cast: 1/5
-0.5 for sh*t writing

Genney Blass
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
4. stars. This book was very interesting. How harsh Hunter was but it was understandable he have been going with his trauma of faced scarred and didn't want pity. But Lila looked the inside of this man, and brought him so much happiness in those days with him, than in his lifetimes.

Two Mottos on this book for me are:
(1) Don't judge the book by is cover
(2) Enjoy life to the fullest.
Nisha
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica, alpha-heros
I had my misgivings about this. Obviously, its a turn at Beauty and the Beast. And a pretty good one. Hunter, aka. The Beast, is scarred physically and emotionally, and is unable to trust women. Lila, starts off to save her father, by signing for 3 months as the Mistress of the Beast, but then she is compelled to heal the Beast.

Its a sweet story. Short and emotional, with only one nasty rejection part. Worth a read.
Eloivene Blake
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
DNF

I tired but nope - it was just not for me. The hero is a shallow horndog and the heroine a misguided ornament with pretend backbone - didn't like them and their relationship is just tons of sex - hot sex mind you but I read for more than a few steamy sex scenes
Ragatnia Clara
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice reading for a quick read.
Sam Crescent
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica-i-love
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It was hot and sweet and everything in between.

It was nice to have the hero turn sweet and for the one woman.

An excellent read.
Charmer
I really enjoyed this book.
raeneysa
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
it is a interracial modern day of beauty and the best, very good read i though it was a wolf shifting book.
Monica
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
disregarding the preposterous plot, their were so many errors in this book, no character development and a rushed storyline. I would not recommend this book.
Jackie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Had to DNF. It sounded promising but the way Hunter describes Lila was all sorts of weird and problematic. Also, the way he treats women because of the way his mother and his first girlfriend treated him is so... boring. It just wasn't something I could use to justify his actions and it just made it really tough to root for a man who acted the way Hunter did. Usually I am all for Beauty and the Beast retellings but this one was just bad. It wasn't sexy, there wasn't a swoon-worthy male lead. Who ...more
Celestial
A 3.5 stars
Would have loved it if it had an epilogue
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• His For Keeps: 50 Loving States, Tennessee
  • His Forbidden Bride: 50 Loving States, West Virginia
  • His to Own: 50 Loving States, Arkansas
  • Rashid: Her Ruthless Boss: 50 Loving States, Hawaii
  • Monster (Monster, #1)
  • Carter's Flame: A Rescue Four Novel #2 ; (Townsend Series #1)
  • Twisted Secrets (Twisted Minds #3)
  • His to Keep: A Sci-Fi Alien Romance
  • Taken By Moonlight (Moonlight, #1)
  • STONE: Her Ruthless Enforcer: 50 Loving States, North Carolina
  • ZAHIR - Her Ruthless Sheikh: 50 Loving States, New Jersey (Ruthless Tycoons, #2)
  • Her Dragon Everlasting: 50 Loving States, Arizona
  • His To Steal (Alien Overlords, #2)
  • Juicy
  • Beast (Estill County Mountain Man #1)
  • Redemption (AmBw Romantic Suspense)
  • Twisted Hearts (Twisted Minds #2)
  • Her Russian Beast: 50 Loving States, New Mexico (Ruthless Russians Book 3)
NYT and USA Today Bestselling Author Eve Vaughn has enjoyed creating characters and making up stories from an early age. As a child she was always getting into mischief, so when she lost her television privileges (which was often), writing was her outlet. Her stories have gotten quite a bit spicier since then! Eve likes to read, bake, make crafts, travel, and spend time with her family. She lives ...more

Urban Fairytales (2 books)
  • Laid Bear (Urban Fairytales, #2)
“Finally, the damn meeting was over and Hunter couldn’t wait to get the hell out there. If he left now, he could make it home in under an hour. Home to Lila.” 1 likes
“He finally knew the meaning of the word love—letting someone go, even though it was killing you inside.” 1 likes