Start by marking “The Department of Lost & Found” as Want to Read:
The Department of Lost & Found

The Department of Lost & Found

“Allison Winn Scotch is the real deal and The Department of Lost and Found is one you absolutely won’t want to miss.”
—Johanna Edwards, author of The Next Big Thing

“Funny, touching, tender, true….I loved it.”
—Pamela Redmond Satran, author of Suburbanistas

A Redbook Magazine Editor’s Choice, Allison Winn Scotch’s sparkling debut novel, The Department of Lost and Found, is a
Published May 8th 2007 by William Morrow (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Department of Lost & Found, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Department of Lost & Found

Jodi
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: other-novels
This book really upset me, but not at all in the way most of those who wrote reviews here were upset by the book.

What upset me was the attitude of 'entitlement' that permeates the entire book. The idea that someone who has an almost perfect life for 30 years, but who then has it a little bit tough for a short period of time is hard done by... just left me really shocked.

It made me wonder if the author has any idea that for a huge percentage of the world's population...well, they would give anyth
Erin
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Molly
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I might have liked this book better if I had read it when it was new, but now it feels pretty dated, both in specific mentions (everyone has a BlackBerry and nobody texts--they email) and in attitude. Very readable, although I really didn't care much for the protagonist. Then again, she's pretty standard for this era of chick lit (and more likable than a lot of them), and I can definitely see how the author has grown such a devoted community over the years.
J&B Reviews
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book.

When I first began this book I found it very hard to read. I'm a breast cancer survivor myself and although it's been a little over twenty years it still hit very close to home. In fact I had to remind myself that it wasn't happening to me all over again, it was happening to Natalie.

I also didn't really like Natalie all that much in the beginning but I suspect I wasn't supposed to. Cancer is a life changing journey and I found Natalie's evolution to be realistic. It wasn't long be
Keris
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Ever since I heard about Allison Winn Scotch's debut novel, The Department of Lost and Found, I've been looking forward to reading it. It's about Natalie Miller, political assistant to the senator of New York (shades of Hillary Clinton!) who's a total workaholic. Then one day her boyfriend Ned discovers a lump in her breast and... I'm trying not to use a cliche like 'her whole world turns upside down' but honestly, her whole world does go A over T.

Not only does Ned pick the time immediately post
Camie
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Natalie Miller an ambitious thirty year old NewYorker is ruthlessly moving up the political career ladder as a senator's primary aide when she is diagnosed with breast cancer. I side with the reviewers who didn't care much for this book which tries to combine Chick Lit with personal tragedy. The main character is difficult to like, even as she is soul searching and trying to reconnect with past failed relationships. I think the author was going for a character with an upbeat attitude even though ...more
Jessica
May 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
While I appreciate the author's attempt at melding a chick lit scenario with the harsh realities of coping with cancer, I wasn't charmed enough by the heroine to invest her recovery or indeed her journey. I felt that the author had stretched my sympathies too far asking me to care about her recovery, her relationship with her mother, her devotion to her career, as well as the men she found her self drawn back to. I abhor that all female writers of a certain age are classified as chick lit, and w ...more
Denise
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I put this book on reserve at the library many weeks ago. Last week I received word from a friend and former co-worker that she has stage 3 breast cancer. The protagonist in this book has stage 3 breast cancer. From the fresh wound of knowing that my 44 year old friend is facing the greatest battle of her life--this book hit me hard. What a "timely" read for me. I felt that the story was very realistic as to what a person goes through when facing the diagnosis of cancer. It is very well written ...more
Cyndi
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book on my shelf for a while now and finally picked it up. Just after starting it, I had a friend die from cancer. I wasn't sure I would be able to finish the book since it also deals with cancer.

I can say that reading this book came at a perfect time for me. It really helped me put my friend's life and death into perspective. The story was wonderfully written. I loved every word of this book!!
Kerry
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book - easy, quick read, and I could relate on many levels with the main character. A solid chick lit/overcoming odds story.
Regina Durst
As much as I wanted this book not to be chick lit, I think I do have to classify it as exactly that. Which is very disappointing, really. (Not to say that chick lit is bad, it's just that this would've been so much better if it wasn't.)
What makes this chick lit, you ask? Well, Natalie is battling with cancer, so we've already got a major page-turning plot here. But then, Scotch throws more elements into the mix! Which is great! But not when she throws in too many elements such as - Natalie's st
Becky
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I knew of the author Allison Winn Scotch, but I'd never read anything by her. The subject of the book is heavier for sure, but the story pulls you in, and you feel the highs with Natalie, and the lows.

I'm learning to appreciate more and more as a reader, especially the perspective it provides. For awhile you get to be an observer of another life - you can sometimes anticipate things they cannot. This is what I found during this story. I could see where there the story
Karen
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Catherine McKenzie
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This potential difficult subject is treated gently and with grace. Allison always finds a way to take a situation you think you know and give it enough of a twist to keep you interested. This book is no exception.
Alissa
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: friendship, 2017
Natalie has cancer at age 30. As she casts about she figures out what's really important. Natalie feels the loss of her job/inability to work the most and I appreciated that. This was a slow stater for me but I enjoyed seeing Natalie's life evolve.
Dianna Shimizu
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! It's about a 30 year old woman diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer, and how her life changes during the year that the story takes place. You really get involved with the main character and root for her to overcome all of her problems.
Fauziyyah Arimi
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow, I just can relate with breast cancer setting.
Brandie
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, read-2009
I really enjoyed this book. Inspiring and uplifting.
Allison
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The Department of Lost and Found just came out in paperback! Yay!
(a)lyss(a)
"I finally caught my breath and asked him why he thought that, why he thought that anyone would possibly choose not to be loved, because certainly, that wasn't my intention."

I really wanted to like this book because I'd heard such good things, but it didn't hit the mark for me. It's not exactly a "feel-good" story, and not really an underdog story, and sort of veers into the romantic.

I think my biggest problem with this book is it's so ambitious. There seem to be three different plots happening
Audrey
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
All in all this book did not move me much. It was kind of life Lifetime movie meets Sex in the City. That is not to say I did not empathize with Natalie and her shock at finding out she had stage 3 breast cancer. But are we supposed to care what brand of shoes she wears ? It seems that Nat and her friends can not function away from the world of the Upper West Side and the Upper East Side of Manhattan. I w ould call this book vapid. I think I would call Nat and her friends pretty self absorbed ab ...more
April
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this debut novel from Allison Winn Scotch. I thought it had a lot of heart and courage.

Natalie Miller has always been a mover and a shaker. At the age of 30, the aspiring future president has already completed law school and worked her way up to be the chief aide to a prominent New York senator. Recently, though, Natalie has found something she can neither move nor shake. Her boyfriend found a lump in her breast and the doctor says it's cancer. Stage 4 with a 50/50 survival rat
Katherine Nally
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Valerie
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liked the first part of the book especially ; sometimes funny
About a young woman running a successful career who gets breast cancer and how she lives through it ;
Insightful about what one is worth, finding/discovering oneself, overcoming terrible times and finding out what helps you carry on

Second part gets more boring, as too centered on "am I in love ?" and broken trust with best friend is dealt with at very superficial level - then becomes too predictable
Lyndsay
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I truly love Allison Winn Scotch’s writing and how she expertly crafts her characters. As with her other books, I finished this one with a feeling of gratitude for getting to spend time with these characters and their stories. Although this book covers the serious topic of cancer, it does so with in a way that makes the reader more positive and uplifted by the end of the book.
Rose Nisbet
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Forgettable, i.e. I had to pick up the book to remember what it was about a week later. Still, enjoyable for a holiday read.
Lawrence Cohen
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start

But a wow factor finish!! A little slow in beginning, about

ha!f way through it it picked up and finally made sense. Another winner!!!!!
Cathy
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who knew "The Price is Right" could be a key to a life. Well done, Bob Barker!
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway.
Renee Jensen
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Made me cry, made me swoon, made me envious of the main character’s strength. I wish that every young single woman was required to read this.
Amanda Green
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Almost gave up on this book, there were times I was just done and didn't care how it finished. But persevered and ended up loving it
  • Crossing Washington Square
  • Easy on the Eyes
  • Lauren Yanofsky Hates the Holocaust
  • Nice to Come Home To
  • London is the Best City in America
I'm the author of a bunch of novels, including BETWEEN ME AND YOU, IN TWENTY YEARS, THE THEORY OF OPPOSITES and TIME OF MY LIFE.

As an author, I know how brutal reviews can be, so I'll only post about books I've enjoyed. (Just in case you're wondering why all of my reviews are positive!)
“There's no time to hold grudges when you've seen how fragile things can really be.” 22 likes
“There is a moment in every relationship when one of the parties senses its imminent demise. There's a moment of incredible clarity when your stomach drops with a heavy sense of dread, and you feel like control is slipping through your fingertips even as you try to hold on. ” 10 likes