Start by marking “Return to Groosham Grange: The Unholy Grail” as Want to Read:
Return to Groosham Grange: The Unholy Grail

Return to Groosham Grange: The Unholy Grail (Groosham Grange #2)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,307 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Someone is trying to destroy David Eliot?s school. A year ago, he?d have given anything to see the end of Groosham Grange and its ghastly, monstrous teachers. Now, he?s on track to win the Unholy Grail, a cup of magical power rewarded to the star pupil. But a series of suspicious mishaps has the space between David and the new boy, Vincent King, narrowing at an alarming ra ...more
Published August 20th 2009 by Philomel Books (first published 1990)

Chris Horsefield
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Horowitz is an accomplished and versatile writer who writes perfect books for older children and the young adult age group.

Return to Groosham Grange is typical of his work, if a little bit more off beat than usual. This hilarious adventure is the sequel to Groosham Grange, and follows David - now enjoying his life as a student at the extremely unorthodox school, and battling to win the school's highest (and only) honour, presented to the most outstanding student - the Unholy Grail.

But al
Jake Manu
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very well written book, like most Anthony Horowitz books. it had so many twists it was impossible what was going to happen next!! This was about a boy called David Eliot who was just a boy trying to win the school cup, but without realising it had to actually save the whole of London from complete destruction to earn it!
I decided to read this because i thought it would be a good book that would fit into a hard category.
This fits into the category 'A boom with themes related to those w
BAYA Librarian
In his second year at Groosham Grange, we find David competing for the coveted Unholy Grail. At first a reluctant student, David is ranked first in his class and sure to win until a series of mysterious mishaps jeopardize his standing in the competition. David discovers that the outcome of the contest will determine the future survival of his school.

The prequel to this book, Groosham Grange, came out in 1988, almost 10 years before the first Harry Potter book. David and his schoolmates all have
Samuel E.
I don't think I really want to return to this incredibly predictable plot given book...
Rogerio
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rodolfo
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-mayo
Hace más de 10 años que leí "La Granja Groosham", el predecesor y primer libro de esta bilogía, el cual en su momento ame y me pareció espectacular, pero hasta hace poco me entere que existía una segunda parte e inmediatamente pensé que tenía que leerlo, saber que le pasaba a David y sus amigos.

Ahora, habiendo terminado este libro puedo decir que fue regresar a mi niñez totalmente al reencontrarme con estos personajes y que seguramente a pesar de que me gusto, estoy completamente seguro que si l
Chiara
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome. There is a lot of mystery and challenges.
Mariana
Estimado Anthony Horowitz...¡¿qué carajo le hiciste a esta historia?!
Como muchos de ustedes sabrán, la primera parte de esta bilogía llamada "La Granja Groosham" se publicó en 1988. Habrían de pasar 11 años para que Horowitz se decidiera a escribir una continuación de este librito que fue tan amado por mí en la primaria. Para no hacerles el cuento largo, yo no tenía idea de que había una secuela y cuando me enteré (hace unos meses) casi me muero de emoción y naturalmente corrí a comprarlo.

Algo q
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A school of magic. The main character is friends with a female student and male student. The school has strange teachers that teach the students many forms of magic. Does this sounds like any series you might know? No, I am not talking about the Harry Potter books that we all know an love. I am talking about the Groosham Grange books. These two books were originally published in England in 1988, way before J.K. Rowling created the character Harry Potter. There are an awful lot of similarities, s ...more
Sarah Potter
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this sequel to 'Groosham Grange' more than the first. Both books were lent to me by a 13-year-old, who said they were better than the Alex Rider teenage spy novels by the same author. Personally I preferred the latter, although the 'Groosham Grange' duet did get more laughs out of me.

It says in the forward,that they were Anthony Horowitz's personal favourite of the children's novels he has written. I couldn't help wondering if he wrote both novels with the intention of publishing them
Cathrine Bonham
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
Much better than the first one. The story was much more focused and had a much better sense of impending doom. The mystery element was also very well thought out and it kept me guessing right up to the end.

Potter fans will find much to love in the Character of David Elliot and his school of witchcraft.
Cara
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book, and it is the sequel to Groosham Grange. If you are a fan of Harry Potter, you should read these two books because you will find that Rowling took a lot of her ideas from these two books by Anthony Horowitz, which were written a decade before her series.
Mdg2810
Toujours aussi déjanté! Ça se lit vite et encore une fois on voit ce qui a inspiré J.K Rowling. Seul hic: c’est un court récit donc l’action va très vite, j’aurai préféré qu’elle soit parfois un peu plus développée.
Jesus Cabrera
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gusto. (:
Terry
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I thought it was better than the first one. It was very fast paced towards the end. Really good !! I wish there were more in this series.
Lorna Redmond
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to return to Groosham Grange and find out how everything finishes glad I did, sad to have finished the book
Melissa
David Eliot returns to Groosham Grange to further master his magical skills. Groosham Grange is a school for the seventh children of the seventh children born with magical powers, teaching them how to use these powers in the outside world. David in his second year at Groosham is a candidate to win the Unholy Grail, awarded only to the highest achiever of the school. New Student Vincent King is following closely behind David, but a series of events has suspiciously caused Vincent to win the Unhol ...more
Chalese
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book "Return to Groosham Grange: The Unholy Grail" is a sequel to the book "Groosham Grange" both these books are by Anthony Horowitz. Anthony Horowitz is my favorite author of all time. This book so far is my favorite book by him. so far I have read four of his book and hope to read more. Anthony Horowitz is my favorite author because he works very hard on his books and puts lots of effort into them. Every time I read an Anthony Horowitz book i change that to my favorite because i just love ...more
Richard
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced. Plenty of plot twists. It's like a Harry Potter adventure (minus Hermoine, Ron, Hagrid, Dumbledore and Lord Thingy.) David Elliot has learned to love (or not hate) his school which is run by a two-headed man and whose teachers are vampire, werewolf, ghost and similar. David is the best student in the school and wants above all to win the Unholy Grail cup. That starts his adventure and there's a mystery involved.

This book pre-dates the Harry Potter books and I wonder if J.K. Rowling
Selenita
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Una buena continuación del primero. En lugar de ser terror este es de aventuras con un poco de investigación, pero mantiene las virtudes de su predecesor: historia ágil, divertida y muy corta; con un protagonista, David, con el que a les peques les será sencillo empatizar. Y, además, con un humor ácido muy disfrutable si le pillas el punto, críticas sociales que hacen que también pueda ser leído por personas adultas y una reflexión final interesante.

Además, la evolución de David será típica, pe
Sara Kamjou
دو جلد کتاب گروشام گرینویج رو خوندم. جالب بود تو جلد اول مدرسه رو بد معرفی میکنه و قهرمان داستان مقابل مدرسه مبارزه میکنه و تو جلد دوم به دفاع از مدرسه میپردازه. این تغییر جبهه توی دو جلد به نحوی هست که شما مقابلش ایستادگی نمیکنی و دقیقا هرکس خودش رو توی هر دو جبهه احساس میکنه، که به نظر من این، هنر هوروویتس رو نشون میده.
تاکید کتاب فانتزی گروشام گرینویج بیشتر بر این هست که خوبی و بدی یه اصل غیرمطلقه. اون چیزی که بد میدونیم و باهاش مبارزه میکنیم میتونه تبدیل بشه به بهترین چیز تو زندگی ما!
اگر هورو
Gabby
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Horowitz always does an amazing job writing books. So far out of all the books I have read this is probably my favorite one. In this book he uses longer chapters, but the chapters that he writes you will really get into. I enjoy how he uses great detail in this book. As I read his books they just keep getting better and better.

Through this book he uses an amazing job with detail. Anthony had used the right kind of words to make you get into the book. When ever I would stop to take a bre
Nancy
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fiction
A sequel to Groosham Grange, this story finds young wizard David acclimated to this school that bears a strong resemblance to Hogwarts. Even the competition for the Unholy Grail will strike Harry Potter fans as a familiar storyline. But David has more than one reason for wanting to win the academic prize. If anyone takes the grail into the shadows at Canterbury Cathedral, Groosham Grange, along with its inhabitants, will disappear forever. David suspects Vincent, a new and bright student, of hav ...more
Kathy
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Groosham Grange has been infiltrated by someone who is working towards its destruction. If you have not read the first book in this series, Groosham Grange is a school for the seventh son of seventh sons or seventh daughter of seventh daughters. Here the children are taught magic (including dark magic) by a menagerie of teachers composed of such creatures as a vampire, a ghost, a witch, a werewolf, a two headed head master, etc. One might pick this series up hoping for a scary book but they are ...more
Sara Davies
WARNING: NO SPOILERS

I have been reading this book for 2 days and I am up to chapter 3 page 36. In this book their is a boy named David Eliot. In the first book his parents put him to a school and while he was their he found out who the students there really are... In this book he finds out why he was put in the school. I'll stop here so I don't spoil the rest of the book for you.

I definitely recommend this book but I think you should read the first book first for a better understanding.
Raymond
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book is really interesting to read because the book gives the basic story of hero and adventure. The story follows the protagonist David Eliot, a student at the Groosham Grange trying to find the Holy Grail. But he is alway hinder by something. This is definitely something that of Anthony Horowitz's work. It is like his other book with many adventure and twist and turn with every page.
Drake Vanmeter
HORRIBLE BOOK! Was not even fun to read is was extremely boring, not even realistic, and just strait up bad. I did not even have a favorite part. Now I don't have much to say about this book and I'm not saying that Anthony Horowitz is a horrible writer it's just that this book isn't a good one I think he could do a better job on the next book.
Matt Scott
Though the book Return to Groosham Grange was full of wizards and magic I found it to be a bad choice. It isn't that it is a bad book but I found it to be for a reading group a few years below us ours. Though easy language and almost lack of real action caused my mind to wander as I read it. I would recommend it to children of 8-10 years of age.
Havanna
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the second book of Groosham Grange is great, even though it is the second book it still makes me want to keep reading until I finish it. The plot is again great and the book is well thought through
Erin Pallott
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Horowitz was one of my favourite authors a few years ago. I found him really funny and that quality was also present in this book. I haven't yet got on with witches and magic but I do remember enjoying this one.
Harry Potter inspiration? 1 2 Jan 10, 2016 05:47PM
none 1 3 Mar 05, 2015 05:47PM
  • De Griezelbus 2
  • Bulging Brains (Horrible Science)
  • The Gobsmacking Galaxy (The Knowledge)
  • De katten van Kruisem
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • Losing the Plot (Angels Unlimited, #2)
  • Otje
  • Attica
  • School of Wizardry (Circle of Magic # 1)
Anthony Horowitz, OBE is ranked alongside Enid Blyton and Mark A. Cooper as "The most original and best spy-kids authors of the century." (New York Times). Anthony has been writing since the age of eight, and professionally since the age of twenty. In addition to the highly successful Alex Rider books, he is also the writer and creator of award winning detective series Foyle’s War, and more recent ...more
More about Anthony Horowitz...

Groosham Grange (2 books)
  • Groosham Grange (Groosham Grange, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)