Start by marking “The Art of Community: Building the New Age of Participation” as Want to Read:
The Art of Community: Building the New Age of Participation

The Art of Community: Building the New Age of Participation

Online communities offer a wide range of opportunities today, whether you're supporting a cause, marketing a product or service, or developing open source software. The Art of Community will help you develop the broad range of talents you need to recruit members to your community, motivate and manage them, and help them become active participants.

Author Jono Bacon offers
Published August 24th 2009 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Community, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Community

Start your review of The Art of Community: Building the New Age of Participation
Angela Randall
I think Jono needs to be a little more clear on who his audience is exactly. He gives many examples from an opensource community with a focus on writing software together (which leaves the examples with enough technical jargon that I wouldn't recommend the book to be read by really non-technical people) and then he details specifics of how Twitter works (which I'm sure wasn't really relevant to people who are technical enough to understand his examples).

I think the book is well balanced in term
Tee Jay
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it
The Art of Community is a good read, although it may be slightly too technical for those looking to start a community that is not software-based. At times I found myself thinking, “what would grandmothers, church groups, or any other non-technical crowd make of this?” I understand that Jono has tremendous experience as a community manager for Ubuntu, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I just think that the book is slightly out of focus when it attempts to simultaneously address both the techni ...more
Yves Hanoulle
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book.
It's a few years ago I bought this book. Recently I read it again and I noticed I used so many of these ideas in the communities I am building.
I build communities during my whole life, yet it was only after I had read this book, that my communities started to thrive.

I see some remarks that this is only about opensource projects I disagree. yes the examples are comming from the open source communities. I think that is normal as that is Jono's world.

For me they work both in the co
Melissa
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I think this book is fairly outdated to the point that some parts may not even be useful for new community managers (explaining what blogs and Skype are, oof). Also, all of the examples are from open-source, highly technical communities. I understand that these communities are some of the best early examples of communities...but he couldn't have come up with a few other examples to help illustrate his points and make his book more inclusive?

My biggest frustration with this book was the unspoken
Rob Delwo
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
The author clearly knows his stuff and there are some good bits of information. While most of the content is good the book could use an update. A lot has changed in technology since this book was written: Github, Stack Overflow, Twitter and more. This new social tech that has become commonplace changes the platforms used for community adoption. However, the main messages about transparency, honesty, leadership and finding a voice are relevant irrespective of the platform chosen.
Lena
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: community
I like the book in general, but I think that it's focus is primarily communities writing software. I think that this book will be primarily helpful for open source community managers. Although Jono has examples from music community, they are not as detailed as his software examples. Some of the things mentioned are heavily outraged by now, such as google+
Ryan
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good info, but tedious reading

The book is really about community management, IE. Managing people from around the world who may not be under your direct authority.

It started off well, but it is hard to get through.
Michal
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: unfinished
First 100 or so pages are a great introduction into building communities. The next 500 pages, though, are mostly devoted to practicalities of open source software communities or other communities focused on developing a product online.
Justin Melloni
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has a bunch of great advice for running a community. It is an invaluable tool for any community managers. However, it is a bit long and it is definitely focused around building an Open Source community.
Max Yekaterynenko
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tremendous work being done by Jono to create the book. It covers all aspects of community management, sometimes event too many details. Overall great book.
Grace
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Bacon, Jono. The Art of Community: Building the New Age of Participation. O’Reilly, 2009.

Bacon became fascinated with Ubuntu, Linux, and the open source world, learned as much as he could about it (largely self-taught), and started teaching others, through articles, podcasts, blogs, discussion forums, and now this book. Bacon’s concern in the book is the power of community. Given that so many pundits are heralding a new age of collaboration, unlimited by geographical boundaries, how does one
Franco
Jono Bacon's book makes a very interesting reading despite the misleading title.
I manage a few online communities and I was interested in learning from an experienced professional (Jono) how to improve my communities and my management style. The title of the book, as well many of the reviews I read were very positive. Only after reading a few dozen pages I recognized that this was not the book I was expecting. “The Art of community” is not about all online communities, it’s only about online co
Eva Amsen
Most examples come from the tech community, and not everything translates to other fields: For example, he talks a lot about situations where the community works together on a project. That isn't as common outside of tech, where often a community just gets together (online or elsewhere) to discuss things - not create things.
Some chapters in the book I just skipped through because they either weren't relevant to me, or just long lists of tips that are good to have as a reference, but not so grea
Luciano Palma
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good book, clarifying a lot about the work of a Community Manager and showing the value that companies can get by understanding the dynamic of Communities and investing on it.
Unfortunately, the author focus so much on describing his job, transforming the book in a guide for dealing with open source software development Communities. The tools and technologies involved sometimes are really specific, as well as some processes that are more of a picture of what the author's company already do than
Steven
Dec 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Not bad.

Very in-depth and very practical. Not a lot of theory. But the examples are pretty nice.

This felt like a textbook, with all of the good and the bad that implies. But if you want to manage some kind of community, this is probably essential.
William
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Jono is great but he really doesn't know how to write about what he does.
Trella
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fresh out of college, I was determined to find a textbook for my brand new field. The Art of Community filled that need beautifully.
Efe Misirli
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The only book on the market on community building right now. Well written though kinda longer than it has to be.
Amy
Mar 30, 2010 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Open source fans, community leaders.
Recommended to Amy by: Jono (I follow him on twitter etc)
I've started this book twice; once on the computer, and once on my ereader. I'm in the middle of something else right now, but I think this is the next book I'm reading.
Nick
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant discussion of building communities on line. Everything is here. All you need to do is get started!
Linda Small
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Gmastalli
Textbook like resource that is also highly readable.
Justin Andrusk
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Opensource folks
Recommended to Justin by: Nobody
Not bad and much of what Bacon said amounts to adapting solid organization skills to a community.
Jo
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended for anyone wanting to learn how to better "herd cats".
Scott
Apr 25, 2020
Sven
Dec 19, 2010
Community Building 1 4 Sep 13, 2015 09:40PM
Interested in this book? Join the O'Reilly Media Fan Page 1 12 Oct 28, 2009 09:19AM

• Walkable City Rules: 101 Steps to Making Better Places
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
  • Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges, and Leaderboards
  • 4-Week Bodyweight Home Workout (Workout Series)
  • The Transhumanist Wager
  • Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much: Alan Turing and the Invention of the Computer
  • Escravidão – Vol. 1 – Do primeiro leilão de cativos em Portugal até a morte de Zumbi dos Palmares
  • The Business Value of Developer Relations: How and Why Technical Communities Are Key to Your Success
  • TED Talks: The Official TED Guide to Public Speaking
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • The Good Son
  • The Experience Of Landscape
  • Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us
  • The Remains of the Day
  • A Very Large Expanse of Sea

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jono Bacon (full name Jonathan Edward James Bacon) is a writer and software developer based in the United Kingdom. Bacon started his work with the Linux community when he created the UK Linux website, Linux UK. When he left this project he moved on to join the KDE team, where he created the KDE::Enterprise website and KDE Usability Study. He has also been involved with helping charities using free ...more

News & Interviews