Start by marking “The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education” as Want to Read:
The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education

The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education

In this book W. Edwards Deming details the system of transformation that underlies the 14 Points for Management presented in Out of the Crisis.

... competition, we see now, is destructive. It would be better if everyone would work together as a system, with the aim for everybody to win. What we need is cooperation and transformation to a new style of management.

In this book
Paperback, Second Edition, 266 pages
Published July 31st 2000 by MIT Press (first published November 30th 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education

Start your review of The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education
Ash Moran
I didn't know what to expect from this - and it turned out to be one of the strangest reads I've had for a long time. The tone of the whole book reads like the translation I have of The Art of War.

Despite being brief, Deming covers a huge amount here. The key topics are:
* systems - treating organisations as wholes rather than bags of parts
* variation - understanding why the output of a system is not perfectly uniform, and the impact this has on correct management
* knowledge - building theories t
Michael Burnam-Fink
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, non-fiction
The New Economics is a series of flashcards, carrying telegraphic versions of Deming's Big Ideas. Deming, of course, was an American economist who helped trained the Japanese in a new style of quality management that arguably lead to decades of Japanese dominance in high technology. His ideas lay behind the Toyota Production System, and the maligned TPS reports of Office Space. He also passed away in 1993, just as Japan entered its lost decade. The New Economics was his last book.

The center of h
John
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Last book of a knowledgeable senior citizen. Much wisdom. More of an introduction (admittedly) to whet your appetite. It did. Jump in. Read what you can. Join the Deming Institute when they discuss the book. (Very helpful to fill in the gaps and get over obstacles!) https://deming.org/events/21-the-new-... ...more
Zachary
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay
Deming’s body of work represents the path not taken by economic policy makers in the United States. If policy makers had listened to the advice of Edwards Deming, it is quite possible that America’s economic standing would have been much different. The message still make sense but the target audience has changed. There was a time when management teams needed to hear it now. Now, it’s the owner/operators.
Jens Comiotto-Mayer
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
What strucks me every time I read Deming is how valuable his ideas are still today, and how few of the transformations in government, industry and education he longed for only have happened until now. Deming was a (systems) thinker way ahead of his times, and one can only imagine what the working world would look like if his thoughts and insights had been taken into account on a broad basis from earlier on. (While he was already an influence to the Japanese economy and especially the Toyota Prod ...more
Reza Ghoorkhanian
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many references to "Out of Crisis" that I feel I should have just read that book instead. Despite this, New economics is still and enlightening book, but perhaps it should be the second of Deming's books that one should read.
Sophie Smithburg
A surprisingly insightful book, if a little light on the technical details. Will have to read another book or two to get the real depth, but I suspect there is some applicability to SRE in here.
Cliff Hazell
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This wisdom stands the test of time. Sadly few are following it yet.

Shay
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25
Phil Eaton
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very subtle points. Worth a reread and comparison with both Peter Drucker and more modern thought.
John Rogers
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Utopians vision of the world.
Bob Wallner
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leaders, Managers
The source for Dr. Deming’s System of Profound Knowledge; The New Economics, has become one of my favorite books and I regret not reading it sooner in my career. It combines a deep understanding of what a system is and how to manage within the system. The first time I read the book was in 2017 and now, in 2019, I can listen to the audiobook on a frequent basis.

The New Economics is more than a book about quality and statistical control, it’s a book about leadership. Dr. Deming goes into depth abo
Aaron
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: qa
I'm a fan of Deming's ideas, and I think they are better conveyed it other sources - even Wikipedia. I read Out of the Crisis some years ago and I've read bits and pieces of his writing as I came across them since then. Generally his writing is clear and concise, and his examples are relevant and illustrative. I don't know what happened here. I can recognize the usual themes and ideas that characterize all his work, but only because I'm already familiar. If this were my first exposure, I'd proba ...more
Dan Gunter
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
First book by Deming I've read. In broad and somewhat wandering strokes, he provides a vision for industry, education and beyond. It is part philosophy and part call to action. I find much of what he says about the responsibility of the system, and not the individual, for the quality of a collaborative product to ring true even in the remote tropical islands of scientific software. However, this book reads more like a conclusion than an initial statement of purpose and I think it might be good t ...more
Evan Leybourn
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While this book is about 30 years old, it is as relevant today as it was in the 80's. Too many managers and business leaders do not correctly understand the impact of waste and how to manage it. Although written in the context of American manufacturing, this is a call to action for all companies to address systemic problems in the way that western management operates.

Though, make sure you read Out of the Crisis first.
Settebaci
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This is for a group I am in that focuses on Systems Thinking--the idea of managing and making decisions collaboratively and based on what is good for the entire system, vs. each unit going off and doing their own thing without consulting with other areas. Not that I work anywhere that actually follows this philosophy! But it is interesting to see how a truly functioning system works together for full productivity and high worker morale.
Christian Blunden
Nov 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
A brutally simple view and description of what is wrong with management thinking. Deming introduces his profound system of knowledge which, I would consider, is to systems thinking what the communist manifesto was to communism.
Alsohn
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the depth and knowledge in this book, the main point I walked away with is that you don't have to screw or stab someone else to get ahead. Works with Asian cultures. Perhaps, not so much with Western culture.
Mike Wilson
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

Started this and had some real issues with some of the authors philosophies. My expectations were not high. I happened to listen to an audio book regarding Scrum and suddenly I had a much better understanding of the authors point of view. There is a lot to take away.
Dan
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Deming knew what he was talking about. Don't get me wrong, what he's advocating is idealist socialism, but it would really work if human greed and all other vices stayed out of the equation. He uses Scripture a lot to back up his ideas or to make a point, a not so well-known fact of Deming.
Brittany
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this as part of a graduate project management course, Deming is set in his ways but it provides a good introduction into his opinions. I wish he would refer to Out of The Crisis less in the narrative, its distracting at best.
Bob Schatz
Anything Dr. Deming wrote should be required reading for any manager. Great piece! Quote "This book is for people who are living under the tyranny of the prevailing style of management"....sadly he said this almost 20 years ago and we're still at battle stations!
Rebecca
Oct 03, 2008 is currently reading it
I've been wanting to read this for a while and now that school is over they have started a discussion series at Canoga Park and I can't wait!!
Mauro Botelho
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ben Fisher
Interesting book. It excited me to research more about statistics and validating Kanban's assumption of requirements as throughput measurement.
Rafael
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Challenging a lot of my previous studied theories.
Dave
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Required reading!
Paul
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book on system thinking.
Trisasi Lestari
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
currently learning a system of profound knowledge.
Easy to read, good practical examples.
David Tumblin
Jan 06, 2020
Michael Haight
Sep 05, 2012

• Critical Chain
  • The REXX Language: A Practical Approach to Programing
  • TCP/IP Illustrated Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set
  • An Early Resurrection: Life in Christ before You Die
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • The Plague (La Peste)
  • Landmarks of Tomorrow: A Report on the New "Post-Modern" World
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • Leading Change
  • Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading (Spiritual Theology #2)
  • An American Childhood
  • Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes: Removing Cultural Blinders to Better Understand the Bible
  • In Europe's Shadow: Two Cold Wars and a Thirty-Year Journey Through Romania and Beyond
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • Simple Predictive Analytics: Using Excel to Solve Business Problems

News & Interviews

“Experience by itself teaches nothing... Without theory, experience has no meaning. Without theory, one has no questions to ask. Hence, without theory, there is no learning.” 22 likes
“Thought Leadership
“The new economics for industry, government, education” Book by W. Edwards Deming
“In God we trust. All others must bring data.”
William Edwards Deming,
Statistician, Professor and Author
#smitanairjain #leadership #womenintech #thoughtleaders #tedxspeaker #technology #tech #success #strategy #startuplife #startupbusiness #startup #mentor #leaders #itmanagement #itleaders #innovation #informationtechnology #influencers #Influencer #hightech #fintechinfluencer #fintech #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurs #economy #economics #development #businessintelligence #business”
0 likes