Start by marking “Things Worth Remembering” as Want to Read:
Things Worth Remembering

Things Worth Remembering

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Published October 1st 2009 by Bethany House

To ask other readers questions about Things Worth Remembering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things Worth Remembering

Megan
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Things Worth Remembering was an touching story about redemption. It stresses the importance of forgiveness in both the offender and the offended's lives. Written in alternating mother and daughter points of view, you learn of a relationship gone astray nine years ago. The story covers the week prior to daughter Maisey's wedding. The tension is high between the two women, and as the week progresses they each remember moments before and after their relationship changed. Thus we learn how they have ...more
Janna
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Forgiveness. Is it really important? "Things Worth Remembering" is a beautiful example of how important forgiveness is. Kendy loves her only daughter Maisey more than life itself and until Maisey was 13 they had the perfect mother / daughter relationship. Then Kendy entered a very dark period in her life and the relationship they had was destroyed beyond repair and Kendy doesn't know what to do to fix it. The problem is that Kendy doesn't have all the information, or rather Maisey has more infor ...more
Carly
Feb 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-favorites
Kendy Laswell’s daughter Maisey is coming home to get married. This should be a joyous time for a mother and daughter who used to have a very strong bond, but for the past nine years, Maisey has been pushing her mother away. Kendy is unsure why their bond was is so broken, but she wants nothing more than to have her daughter back. Maisey’s childhood was a happy one filled with memories of her loving parents, but the summer she was thirteen, it all changed for her and she has not been able to for ...more
Valerie
Oct 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-book-reviews
Things Worth Remembering was my first book by Jackina Stark. It was emotionally laden with regret and pain, but redeemed by forgiveness and a new start.

Kendy is Maisey's mother and Kendy loves Maisey more than life itself. Over the years she's been shut out of Maisey's life more and more. Now Maisey is planning her wedding and it's becoming evident to all that Maisey is hostile toward her mother. Finally the dam burst and with raging anger it's revealed why Maisey hates her mother.

When Maisey w
Angela
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book intrigued me because it's different from other Christian fiction. 1. The action switches between mother and daughter POV written in first person. 2. The majority of the story is flashbacks. 3. It covers forgiveness in a major way.
I found the flashbacks a little jarring at times. I would have to read over a section to remember what time this was happening. And it got a little confusing as more dates were added. Even the current action shifted between what happened 5 minutes ago and what
Lori
Dec 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christian fiction fans, contemporary fiction fans
Things Worth Remembering is a touching story of a mother and daughter who have a very detached relationship, due to a horrible secret that has been kept for the past nine years. The story takes place during the week before Maisey and Marcus' upcoming wedding. They have come home, to Maisey's parents house, to get things in order before the big day. After a few days spent with the Laswell's, Marcus begins to notice that Maisey either completely ignores her mother, Kendy, or treats her very insole ...more
Christy Lockstein
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Things Worth Remembering by Jackina Stark is another beautifully written, poignant novel by the author. For the first thirteen years of Maisy Laswell's life, she and her mother, Kendy, were connected at the heart, with a relationship most mothers and daughters would love to have. After witnessing something the summer she turned thirteen, their bond is shattered and now nine years later as Maisy prepares for her wedding, their distance is only accentuated. Stark has a unusual talent for creating ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
A wonderful read - Christian fiction with a real twist and story. I used to read Christian fiction more often in my younger years, but had veered away when I kept running into very "preachy" fiction. It was a random pick up at the library and I was hesitant to continue after I read the back of the book.

I am glad I decided to go ahead and read this great little book. A Christian fiction with a story that felt real and not to goody too shoes. There were a few verses and lifestyle moments that wa
Ashlyn
Sep 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Christian fiction
Shelves: chicklit, christian, own
It was a slow start for me but it did get better! I think the book had some great messages for its readers. Forgiveness being the main one. It is a touching story about a mother and daughter who have a not so perfect relationship. Maisey, the daughter, is getting married in a week and comes home to her parents house to prepare for the big day. Tensions rise as Maisey keeps a secret she has told no one, not even her best friend, that involves her mom (for nine years). It's more of a Christian fic ...more
Claudia Lee
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jackina was a faculty member back in the '70's when I attended Ozark Bible College in Joplin, Missouri. I remember Jackina as intelligent, hilarious, and one who obviously loved the Lord. I thoroughly enjoyed her book. She uses the technique of shifting back and forth between the minds and actions of the two primary characters and through their perceptions weaves the tale of how a long-ago indiscretion and a deeply held secret impact today's relationships. In the midst of the hardships this past ...more
Dena
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I started this book in the morning around 11 and finished by early evening. It was such a good read and very hard to put down. (And I did have to put it down to make lunch and take care of my family.)

The glimpse into the complicated mother/dauhter relationships of two generations broke my heart and left me hopeful. It made me want to call my mother just to chat and then take my teenage daughter out shopping.
Ruby halliburton
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyong who enjoys Christian books.
Recommended to Ruby by: Early Reviewer (Library Thing)
I enjoyed this book immensely. It covered the fractured relationship between a mother and daughter caused by the daughter witnessing an indiscretion between the mother and the daughter's uncle. The daughter kept this to herself for years. It was only revealed on the eve of the daughter's wedding. It was very believable. The book showed the way to forgiveness through the way God forgives us. The father and mother handled the situation in a Christian manner.
Tina at Mommynificent
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a powerful story of forgiveness and redemption, and one that I highly recommend. The only reason I'm giving it four rather than five stars is that I found the first half of it quite hard to read because of the rift and the hard feelings between the characters. It was actually a little depressing. The first half is totally necessary to achieve the beauty of the forgiveness and reconciliation, but it was still hard to read.
Patty LeBlanc
This was a really hard book for me to get into. I almost put it down because it took so long to get to the good part of the book that made me want to continue reading. Once I finally did get to that part, I did like the book, though it still bounced around the storyline a little too much for my liking. I think the ending was very good though and the idea of the story was good. If you like stories about family, secrets, forgiveness, and renewal then this book would be along those lines.
Lindsey
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
as the back cover reads: Kendy Laswell and her daughter, Maisey, used to do everything together--until one fateful summer when Maisey witnessed something she shouldn't have, and their relationship fractured. Now, Maisey is back home to get married and Kendy realizes this is her last chance to reconnect with her daughter. Will Kendy and Maisey be able to reclaim the bond they once shared?
Lauren
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: c-library
Reading this, Maizey's side drove me crazy, what a spoiled jerk! BUT. She was spoiled and like 21 years old, which can be more prone to seeing things in black and white with no room for grey.

(view spoiler)
Alyssa Alena
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story follows up with Maisey returning home with her husband-to-be on the week of their wedding. With a secret that she kept for the last 9 years, her relationship with her mum, Kendy has deteriorated since then. With the beautiful story of the strong love between parents and their child, the author touched beautifully as well on the need for forgiveness to those who've hurt us.
M
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, 2013-books
The characters in this 3-generation family and their friends are carefully drawn. The main plot is the reconciliation of a daughter to her mother on the eve of the young woman's wedding. Christian values are woven into the narrative as warp to woof. It might be nice to read other stories of this group of people facing modern trials.
Donna
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by Jackina I have read and it was a very good book. There were a few issues that Maizie should have confronted early on and not let it fester in her heart for nine years. She treated her mother very badly, but in the end it was all well and forgiven. I will look for more book by this author..............
Beverly Bailey
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome book

This book was an amazing book. It was about a bond destroyed between a mother and daughter and the effect on each until the daughter finally let her feelings known. The end result will bring you to tears! Very good Christian novel.
Loraine
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although the writing was a little juvenile, this was a good read. It had a lot of appeal for family relationships, particularly the mother/daughter one. I liked how it ended, because although it ended up happy, the characters still had some things to deal with.
Esther mundih
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
ugh couldnt even finish this one...characters are too hard to understand. Too many characters for me to keep up with. very little romance and the story isnt really clear. Made it to page 105 and backed out.NOt for me. Am a romance addict.
Gretchen
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
I just finished this one for my book club. It took me a little while to get into it at first, but once I did, I really enjoyed it.
It has a wonderful message about how God can heal us.
Hazel Price
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding story of love and forgiveness

I don't know anything that could have made this story any better. It points how important family and friends are. Fine Christian reading!!
Debbie
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read! She captured family relationships and forgiveness. Believable characters.
Kayla Bloomfield
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love the was this book was written. It gave you the background information that you need while continuing this the story as if you already knew it!
Jacinda
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Great book about a mother/daughter relationship. Made me tear up a little at the end. Thanks Mom for the book and I miss you lots!
Shawna Britton
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tower2reads
very good mother daughter book
Amy
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
About a mother daughter relationship.
Sarah Billing
This book was a gift from the Women of Epiphany Christmas party 2011 from Nancy Fevold. It was a easy and enjoyable book to read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Falls Like Lightning
  • Sitting Practice: A Novel
  • Snow Angel
  • Hurricanes in Paradise
  • How Sweet It Is (Heart of Carolina #2)
  • In Every Heartbeat
  • Daylight Comes (Freedom's Path #3)
  • Priced to Move (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #1)
  • Wings of Refuge
  • Chaos - Graphic Novel (The Lost Books, #4)
  • The Healing Quilt
  • Leaves of Hope
  • Masked by Moonlight
  • Impractical Jokes
“Being “seen,” being so obviously cared for, being appreciated so thoroughly, these things are exhilarating, and they are addictive.” 0 likes
“I never gave a thought about what or who was ultimately and necessarily being neglected when my thoughts were consumed with Clay, never thought about what I was missing and would never retrieve because of the time I devoted to him. I” 0 likes