Start by marking “The Territory of Men: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Territory of Men: A Memoir

The Territory of Men: A Memoir

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Born into the turmoil of mid-sixties San Francisco, the daughter of a flower child and a surfer, Joelle Fraser grew up with no bedtime, no boundaries, and no father. But “dads” she had in abundance, as her mother worked her way through boyfriends and husbands, caught between the traditional rules of her upbringing and the new freedoms of the “me generation” and women’s lib ...more
Published July 8th 2003 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published July 16th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Territory of Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Territory of Men

Mary Hades by Sarah DaltonThe Frenzy by Francesca Lia BlockThe Yearning by Kate BelleBlindsided by Priscilla CummingsUprising by Jessica Therrien
Hair in Face
60 books — 13 voters
The Lipstick Laws by Amy HolderMemoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisBad Taste in Boys by Carrie HarrisLolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Lips and Lipstick
303 books — 158 voters

More lists with this book...

Traci Wheeler
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hard not to love this book as my personal friend wrote it and i'm actually mentioned in it! Fascinating and troubling that a woman as young as Joelle could already write a memoir but when your life has been as charged as hers has been, it is possible. She has lived more lifetimes in her short 40 years than most of us and reading about her ability to live and cope is interesting.
Stephan
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children of the 60s
I read this memoir of growing up the child of the sixties and alcoholism while taking a Greyhound going north from Mendocino County to Prince Rupert, British Columbia. Along the way, I could look out the window and see many of the locations in northern California and Oregon that Fraser wrote about. It was one of those magical readings, when the author's talents are so prodigious you simply cannot remove yourself from her world. This is a great, great book, deserving of a wide readership.

Shannon
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
The main character grew up the daughter of a freeloading mother with no bedtime, rules, or father. Joelle grew up with various father figures and learned very quickly that her mother relied on men to survive. The story shows how this kind of life style affects a person later on in life.
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
I enjoyed this book as I am fascinated with childhood stories that are so different than my normal, middle class upbringing.
Indra
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really fine writing...I related to a lot of her experiences. I agree with other reviewers--writing this good deserves more readers. I would love to hear her read and/or take a class from her, and her book has stayed with me--it made me think about the memoir I've been trying to write for way too long. I love that she put a note at the end saying it was the hardest thing she'd ever done; I certainly believe it. It takes a great deal of courage to put your truth out there, and kudos to her.
Jenna
Sep 22, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: memoirs
I really loved this book, but it's been so long since I've read it, I believe I'm due to re-read it to give a proper analysis on it! It's one of my favs and I usually recommend it! One of the first memoirs I've read and got me hooked on them!
Barbara
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
Memoir of growing up in a fractured family in the 60's and 70's California and Hawaii. Well written and thought provoking.
Melissa
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 2002 because the author is a good friend and was also my college roommate at UH, Manoa. I think the writing is excellent and I could see so clearly how Joelle put herself "out there" with a lot of humility. It was a courageous book to write and for that I admire her. There is so much truth and vulnerability that she exposed and I don't believe this is an easy thing for any author to undertake. She wrote about an interesting time, when children were raised by what I will call ...more
Kelly Goldthorpe
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Picked this book up in Susanville, CA, which is in the middle-of-nowhere in norcal, because the bookseller said it was written by a local author. I lugged it around for 9 months and finally read it! Glad I waited - she mentions a number of other cities on the West Coast that I have memories at over the last 12 months, specifically San Fran and Sausalito, CA. Easy read and interesting life. I want to know how her professional/education success stemmed from the personal chaos that speckled her lif ...more
Cari
Nov 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about her experiences in locations that I've been - San Francisco, Lincoln City, Hawaii. Reminded me in a way of Glass Castle.
Jeannie
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. Excellent read~
Todd
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this is sad book of a girl's childhood through her 20's.
Really well-written.
Mandy
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. I enjoyed reading about Joelle's childhood. I have a few unanswered questions,but over all it was a fast read that I enjoyed!
Colette
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Story of my life.. in a way. Read in Portland during Christmas.
Sheila
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for me, not for everyone. No, it's not a must-read, but memoirs with such honesty and glistening language create an empathy for others and their situations that I do think we all need.

The appeal for me was reading about what attracted both the author and her mother into various relationships and what drove them away. I also am intrigued by how family relationships with her mom, father, and extended family impacted the author.

I'm also not sure how Joelle Fraser wrote so openly about
Hannah
Jan 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I always feel bad giving memoirs bad reviews because I'm sure it's hard to share such personal events in a book. I commend the author for doing so. But honestly, this book is awful. I don't mind memoirs jumping around to different time periods or events, but this one does so in a way that's so incoherent it's hard to understand. Nothing particularly interesting even happens in the book. I definitely think that some people with ordinary lives can pull off writing compelling memoirs, but this auth ...more
Dana
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some iffy points to me. The beginning started off appealing, but somewhere around the middle I felt like it got a bit "off" in the style. I had a hard time following things. By the end, however, it was back to the original style and seemed to finish strong. I enjoyed reading about Joelle's experiences, both positive and painful. It was very real, and very easy to imagine. Her life is unique, for sure. The insight she had about her experiences was admirable. Though she endured a lot ...more
Maureen
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I felt this book and enjoyed it. I know Joelle, and read it while we were in a book club together. In her early life she was a beach waif in SF, and I think I remember seeing and talking to her. I was a young adult hippie and she was a flower child's child.
Glenda
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure what I was expecting but for me this book was only ok. While it was well written I just found it kind of boring. I hate saying that about a memoir because that is someone's life but it was drawn out and lacked excitement.
Chris
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: human-drama
Got at the Writer's conference. Was a disappointment.
Jamie
Nov 12, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was.... OK. It was a long winded. I was expecting a lot more than what I got.
Chelsea
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This memoir was very sad yet insightful and well written. My heart truly goes out to the author and pray she finds peace and is able to settle down and be happy in her life.
Naomi
  • Girl Boy Girl: How I Became JT Leroy
  • Seeking Rapture: Scenes from a Woman's Life
  • Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
  • West of Then: A Mother, a Daughter, and a Journey Past Paradise
  • Harley Loco: A Memoir of Hard Living, Hair, and Post-Punk, from the Middle East to the Lower East Side
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • 8: a Memoir