Start by marking “Love is a Four-Legged Word” as Want to Read:
Love is a Four-Legged Word

Love is a Four-Legged Word

For readers who loved Pug Hill-a charming romantic comedy debut novel about matchmaking and a millionaire mutt.

Romance is for the dogs...

Tom O'Brien is close to making partner at the hottest law firm in San Francisco, provided his newest client doesn't foul things up. Brutus Stoddard is rich and spoiled, craves attention, and drools. The fact that he's a dog do
Published July 7th 2009 by Berkley (first published May 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Love is a Four-Legged Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love is a Four-Legged Word

Start your review of Love is a Four-Legged Word
Tasha
May 16, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a very light, funny read. So if something deep is what you're looking for, then this isn't it. But it is a very cute story. I'll definitely be reading Kandy's next book, Home is Where the Bark Is. Although Maddy sometimes came across as a little flighty, I did enjoy the dynamic between her and Tom. The attraction between the two of them was instant, but they didn't act on it immediately. Upon first meeting, Tom believed Maddy to be the mistress of Walter, the millionaire who left his fo ...more
Jessica
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love is a Four-Legged Word is the first book I have read by Kandy Shepherd and found it was a cute and funny read. Usually I'm not a fan of books like this about a dog but this one has made me change my opinion and hope to put more books like this in my library at home.
Lizzy Chandler
A charming, mad-cap story by a talented Aussie author.

Love is a Four-Legged Word is a light, fun-filled read. Its quirky characters, an aspiring celebrity chef and an uptight lawyer, are brought together when the chef's elderly neighbour dies, leaving her the guardian of an ugly pug who inherits a fortune.

Set on the west coast of the USA, this zany romance reminds me of an old Cary Grant movie - it has the same, light-hearted, feel-good factor. In this story's world, nothing is too serious, de
Ariel Noble
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love is a Four-Legged Word by Kandy Shepherd follows the tale of girl-next-door, baker Madeline "Maddy" Cartwright and hot, determined lawyer Tom O'Brien. Maddy is an old soul just begging to get her own cooking show, after all she has worked her butt off to get to where she is now. She comes across a small problem when a dog has inherited a multimillion-dollar estate from his late owner. Maddy must take care of him. As if that isn't enough on her plate, fit and extremely attractive Tom has simi ...more
Lyssa
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading "Love is a Four-Legged Word" by Kandy Shepherd...LOVED this book! Maybe I'm just into the easy read, fun, romantic books these days but I just loved it.

Summary: Maddy's landlord passes away and Maddy had promised to take care of his dog, Brutus. Tom, big shot lawyer, comes in to tell Maddy that Walter has left his millions of dollars to Brutus (AKA Maddy since she's the legal owner). Of course, Walter's greedy little nephew comes in to threaten Maddy and Brutu
Rose
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
A very "sweet" novel.
Cute.
Funny.
Light/Easy read.
The death of a Multimillionaire landlord who will's his estate to Brutus (his "Heinz 57" dog) and Maddy (his Granddaughter-like/tenant).
A serious/stuffy lawyer that delivers and follows through with the will's details, while trying to stick to his "five-year-plan" that did not include the loveable, soon-to-be-famous-chef Maddy. Will the Matchmaker(s) succeed in playing cupid?
Sonali
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love is a Four Legged Word is the first book i have read by Kandy Sheperd and it was definitely worth the read. A fun, lighthearted read filled with humor, sass, romance and an adorable mutt. A book that has found space on my keeper shelf.
Shallowreader VaVeros
Apr 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
I love the cover but I just couldn't get past the first chapter - I must have been in a bad headspace when I tried to read this. On the plus side - both my sisters loved the book.
Ldlimes
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
To have a dog, money and find love in 21 days makes for a good book.
Cyndi Delia
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I had quite a few issues with this book, I still enjoyed it. It was an easy to read fun book.
Kristin Deason
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought it was entertaining...I wish you could give half stars...i would give it 3.5
Colletta Miller
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute, light, read with adult situations.
Pamela
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it

A cute love story.
An amusing contemporary romance where the dog, Brutus, steals the show,
Jen Jones
Nov 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF. Not written well, in my opinion. If you pick it up, you will have figured out why I say this by page 8. He is more focused on her body than the job he is there to do. It's creepy. Let the reader get to know the characters first before starting this line of thinking or we will think he is a lech.
Kay
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun little short read!
Virginia Campbell
Tom O'Brien is an orderly man with a five-year plan to keep his life on the right track. His stellar work as an attorney at a prestigious law firm has him in line for a partnership and a coveted corner office. Into every perfectly aligned life plan, chaos and spontaneity must enter. The delightful disorder in Tom's life comes in the form of a little mixed-breed dog named Brutus who is the heir to a fortune. Along with Brutus comes his undeniably appealing guardian, Maddy Cartwright. Brutus' late ...more
Megan
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Maddy Cartwright inherits her landlord, Walter's dog. No one knew that Walter was a millionaire and he bequeathes everything to his dog, Brutus and his guardian. Everyone, including, their lawyer, tom O'Brien assumes the worst about Maddy and Walter's relationship, but he was like a grandfather to her, and she a granddaughter. There is a 21 day clause in the will that forces Tom and Maddy to work together; and of course the will is contested by a distant, money hungry relative. Through this proc ...more
x0unerthanlater

** Disclaimer ** This book was a gift, part of a giveaway. All opinions are of my own. Thank you.

I thought this was a nice read. It wasn't dramatic at all. For the most part it was enjoyable to read. I just didn't like the fact that the two leads kept dancing around their attraction for each other. It got sort of annoying. Overall it's quite a cheerful story that includes one cute little mutt.
Renee
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
The best character in the whole story was Brutus, the loveable mutt. I was a little put off by the swearing in the book, it seemed to have more than most of the mainstream romances that I've read. The best part of the book was the last scene with Brutus and Coco and their doggie family creating chaos in Maddy's apartment. Other than that one scene this wasn't a book that I would read again. However I love the idea of people meeting through their pets. Are there any good ones out there?
Holly
Jul 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Pretty good for first novel. I found the characters to be charming for the most part, though toward the end the heroine bugged me some.

The mystery wasn't as well done. The actions of the villain and the h/h didn't make much sense in that respect. Overall the romance was good but the mystery left quite a bit to be desired.
Peggy
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
An easy read - good for vacation or sitting by poolside or beach. Plot is simple and predictable, but it fit the bill for me as something easy to pick up and read a chapter or two every day while on vacation.
Kim
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This would have been better served if it had been turned into a work of fiction with romantic elements instead of a straight forward contemporary romance. The idea is very good and really could have been something if the author could have developed it.
Danielle
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a very fast and easy read. I love a good fluffy romance for when I am feeling stressed. This book definitely did the trick for me. It is a very predictable storyline but it is still a great feel good story.
Amy
Jun 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, not-finished
This is the second time that I have had this book and once again find myself being unable to get into this. I'm done. I will not try again.
bex
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I hate when I shop display tables and end up with smut. Bah. Gotta finish it though, it's my new policy.

Ok, this book ended up being pretty cute. Not even very much panting or heaving bosoms.
D.B. Tait
Dec 12, 2001 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2010
Gorgeous feel good book. Food and dogs. A winning combination.
Cathleen Ross
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have such talented friends
Chris Cornelison
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a cute book. A little cheesy but cute. I have to admit the courtroom scene brought on tears. But overall I liked it.
Sara
Mar 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Cute contemporary romance! I loved how it was centered around a dog.
Lisa
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute story with cute characters, but too many sexual references that were completely unnecessary.

• Thomas the Rhymer
  • Frank Lloyd Wright: The Masterworks
  • Maypoles, Mandrakes and Mistletoe: A Treasury of British Folklore
  • The Woman in the Lake
  • Earthly Delights (Corinna Chapman, #1)
  • Thanks a Lot, Mr. Kibblewhite: My Story
  • The Land Before Avocado
  • The Wire in the Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2)
  • Come Away with Me (With Me in Seattle, #1)
  • The Candlelit Coffin (Lady Fan Mystery #4)
  • The Light of Paris
  • Sheikh's Royal Baby Revelation (Royal Brides for Desert Brothers #1)
  • Eddie and the Show Queen (Levenham Love Story, #5)
  • Parky: My Autobiography
  • A Devil of a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #2)
  • If I Tell You... I'll Have to Kill You
  • The Serpent's Tale (Mistress of the Art of Death, #2)
  • The Pint of No Return (A Sloan Krause Mystery, #2)

Kandy Shepherd left a fast-paced career as a magazine editor to write award-winning romantic fiction.
Kandy lives in a small farm in the Blue Mountains near Sydney, Australia, with her husband, daughter and a menagerie of four-legged friends.
She believes in love-at-first-sight and real-life romance—they worked for her!