Start by marking “The Door in the Lake” as Want to Read:
The Door in the Lake

The Door in the Lake

When Joey Finney was twelve, he and his family went camping near Smokewater Lake-and Joey vanished. Now, two years later, he has reappeared. But something's stopping him from settling back into his old life. Joey still looks twelve. He feels sick all of the time and he hears voices in his head. No one believes him when he tells the truth: Joey Finney was abducted by ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Puffin (first published May 5th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Door in the Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door in the Lake

Start your review of The Door in the Lake
Dolly
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This is a short, entertaining sci-fi story for middle grade readers. The story is engaging and I think that children will be able to relate to Joey's difficulties readjusting after his disappearance.

Our oldest brought this book home from her 5th grade class and we both read it independently. While I wasn't overwhelmed by the characters in the story and felt that some of the interaction was a bit too over-dramatized, I still thought it was a good story.
Daniel
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i love this book it is going soo good but yet its kind of creepy at the same tim i'm only on chapter nine and i'm very excited to see what is going to happen next.the book has such good vocabulary it also helps me with my writing in school.
Michael Culbertson
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
I'm not usually one for alien abduction stories, but when I read the last sentence on the front flap of the dust jacket ("The Door in the Lake examines that area of the human psyche where the body and mind meet—or don't—and where identity resides."), I thought "Well, if it delivers on that promise, this short book will certainly be worth the time it takes to read it!" While the sentence may be a bit of an overstatement for what Nancy Butts achieves, I definitely wasn't disappointed.

Alien
Tom
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
5th-8th Grade
In this story Joey Finney disappears at age twelve and reappears two years later yet he has not aged. He has come back to his life like he had never left but the world has changed around him. What is great about this book is how all of the relationships around this story play out. His younger brother is now bigger than him and his best friend cannot seem to adapt to him being home. The author keeps you guessing till the end was he in a time vortex, abducted by aliens? Students will
Daniel
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this book it makes me very excited to read
KK
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was ok. It wasn't really interesting, but it wasn't bad. Don't reccomend it for people who are interested into fiction and cool books. The beginning part was kind of boring though. :(
Maggie
Aug 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Sixth grade was going to be extremely difficult for me. I had essentially no friends in a class of 28 students, had grown so quickly that I had a foot on most other students (not to mention the tall lankiness that accompanies quick growth), and one person who I did feel friendly with at even a minor level had transferred to public school to begin middle school. But the pipeline went both ways. A girl had transferred from the public school to my parochial school for middle school. She was a ...more
Christophe Ang
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
The novel was quite simple and a very low-level read. A breeze for anyone who just wants a calm, easy book to pass some time. The novel follows the tale of Joey who, basically, time travels 2 years forward and he has no idea how or why it happened, just that the last thing he remembers is the camping trip he was on 2 years ago just before he disappeared.

I thought the novel was pretty ok. I would not read it again as I thought it was way too easy of a read and not nearly challenging enough. The
Julio
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book that I read is The Door In The Lake. The book is about this one kid named is Joey and he is abtucted by aliens. He is twelve years old and they bring him back and he can't remember anything. He is also not feeling that he is growing or getting order.
The strengths of the book is the begging how it starts out. A bad thing is kinda the middle through the end. I still liked the book because it was good.
The connections I have with the book is that I like stories about aliens and stuff. I
Duane
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joey's life is turned upside down when he suddenly reappears after being missing for two years. The strange thing is, he hasn't aged one day since he's went missing and he can't remember where he's been that entire time. This book is very similar to the old Disney movie, "Flight of the Navigator" so if you're interested in that kind of thing, you'll enjoy this book. Filled with in-depth characters and suspenseful chapters, this is a great book for non-stop reading!
Brianna M.
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I loved this book, I gave it 5 stars because the auther made so you have to read the whole book to find out what happened. It was like he's gone and he's back kind of thing but it was exiting to find out what happened, but if you want find out you have to read the book yourself. I will tell you that I never thought i'd like a book like this and it may be your perfect book to.
Michael
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
It's a classic sci-fi set up: Joey wakes up in the hospital and can't understand why everyone looks so old. They can't understand how he could have been missing for years and hasn't aged a day. The only thing more frightening than not knowing what happened at the lake those years ago is finding out the truth.
Jared
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the way the book skips from present and past. My favorite books are books about time travel. It doesn't only include that, but it has an alien involved in its plot as well. This book really made me keep reading until I was done.
Richard Carbajal
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My Instructors brilliance here convinced me to take her writing instruction. Nancy thanks for your kind words. You promised a sequel.
Carolyn
Mikael
May 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was predictable.
Angela
Dumb book. Not only did the author use writing for above the reading level, but there were random words capitalized in the middle of a sentence. And on top of that the plot was boring and choppy.
Hannah
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Even though it is fiction it made me believe in aliens when i was 11.
Ben
Mar 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
It was boring. It had no real theme. And it really didn't have anything to analyze. It was pretty bad. All that happens is he finds that the Alien is real. It isn't a good book.
Mark Meyers
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good book with lots of suspense.
Geebowie
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was okay. It might have been a. It more Interesting plot wise if the author had made the time Joey had been missing more than two years. Also I felt it could have been a bit longer.
Amy
Dec 20, 2012
Katey
Sep 09, 2014
Mary
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this was a strange but good book
Ankit Jalan
Sep 20, 2015
Cathy
Jan 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Double Down (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #11)
  • Horrible Harry and the Secret Treasure
  • Waylon! One Awesome Thing (Waylon! Book 1)
  • Horrible Harry and the Dead Letters
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • The Famouse Fjord Race (Geronimo Stilton Micekings #2)
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)
  • Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4)
  • Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Charlie Bucket, #2)
  • The Twits
  • Merry Christmas, Geronimo! (Geronimo Stilton, #12)
  • Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #2)
  • The Talking T. Rex (A to Z Mysteries, #20)
  • The Dragonsitter Takes Off
  • The Witches
  • James and the Giant Peach
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • The BFG
Nancy Butts has had her head stuck in a book ever since she learned to read--and she's been writing stories for just as long.

She published her first poem at age ten, and decided after reading Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" in fifth grade that she wanted to be a writer, too. But she never thought she was good enough, so by the sixth grade she decided to be an astronomer instead: and after