Start by marking “Jemma Hartman, Camper Extraordinaire” as Want to Read:
Jemma Hartman, Camper Extraordinaire

Jemma Hartman, Camper Extraordinaire

Jemma Hartman knows that her first summer at beautiful Camp Star Lake is going to be amazing. There will be swimming, sailing, and overnight trips – not to mention her best friend, Tammy, who moved away a year ago. But when Tammy’s cousin, Brooke, decides to come to camp as well, Jemma’s perfect summer starts to crumble. Brooke never laughs at Jemma’s jokes, and she thinks ...more
Published April 27th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Jemma Hartman, Camper Extraordinaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jemma Hartman, Camper Extraordinaire

Megan
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This a great book for fifth graders and probably sixth grade as well. It really shows the trials and tribulations of growing older, growing apart from friends and having to share someone you see as your BFF. It has a great lesson to be learned. I would say mostly girls only would find something to relate to in the story, so I doubt I would read it aloud, but I would recommend it to any girl in my class. I REALLY liked this story and the character, Jemma. It took me back to junior high and even b ...more
Sandra Stiles
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Jemma hartman is headed to camp. She has waited all year to hook up with her best friend Tammy who had moved away. Jemma and her family wait at the teh bus for Tammy only to see Tammy arrive with her cousin Brooke in tow. Brook's parents are divorcing and she is staying with Tammy. This is the beginning of a summer Jemma will never forget. She spends four wonderful weeks at Camp Star Lake, having fun learning to ski, sail and learn what true friendship is all about. I really liked this book. It ...more
Melissa Dwyer
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally rated E by Elizabeth DeLawder
When Jemma shows up to meet her best friend Tammy, who moved away a year ago, at Camp Star Lake she is unpleasantly surprised that she has brought her cousin Brooke along for the trip. What she thought would be a summer of reconnecting with her old friend turns into a contest for Tammy’s attention. This accurate account of camping with believable characters will engage readers in grades four through six while the reality of the emotional situations will tu
Joenna
Jemma is off to summer camp and is excited to see her best friend Tammy, who moved away. They'll have the whole summer to reconnect. Jemma is caught off guard though, when Tammy brings her cousing Brooke with her to camp. Tammy keeps choosing Brooke over Jemma for activities and Jemma is very jelous.

An OK coming of age story, about old and new best friends, when to let go, and jelousy feelings.
Rachel
May 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much! It makes me less nervous about camp and to know what i am expecting. I love the character (Jemma) and her motivation to do some thing that she thought was still there. She and Tammy had a great bond to be half ruined by Brooke and half ruined by Tammy moving. Delaney also seems like a perfect friend. It sends out a great message! Awesome book.
Virginia Aronson
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Memorable book on kids' friendship, growing up, and learning to be authentic. The details on camping and sailing are rich reminders of life at summer camp. And the struggle with jealousy is as real as it gets. This is a writer unafraid to share what goes on in the minds of real girls.
Christopher
Sep 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
I did not like that most of this book was taken up by the whining and pining of Jemma over her best friend finding another friend. Jemma's character did not grow until the very last part of the book and I really did not like this irritating protagonist.
Betsy
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
One Sentence Review: I never went to camp myself, but if I had I'm pretty sure it would have been an experience almost identical to Ferber's amazing little microcosm as it appears within these pages.
Vicki
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book tremendously! The perception of a beginner learning to sail is written so well! The camp experience is also portrayed well. I think any girl from 9 to 14 could relate to this fictional experience and learn from it! Thank you Brenda Ferber!
Owen
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of kids can relate to this story because it is about a girl named Jemma and how her best friend started paying more attention to her own cousin than to the person who has been there for her her whole life (Jemma). This book is full of jealousy and competition. I suggest that you read it.
Julie
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
A PERFECT summer read.
Kate Hannigan
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Incredible detail about summer camp and activities. Must have gone back and sailed, spent night in cabins, mess hall, etc. Well-researched. Fun read, and I would recommend it to any camper!
Jasmine Rockwell
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't think this is something I will read over and over, but it was sweet. It approached changes in friendship well and came to a decent conclusion.
Margaret
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
My third grade girls will enjoy it, but I found it predictable.
Sky
Rachel
Oct 06, 2011
Jen
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Cute story about girls going away to camp
Little
Oct 27, 2009
Lindsay
Jun 24, 2009
Caroline
rated it did not like it
May 16, 2011