Start by marking “Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)

Warprize

(Chronicles of the Warlands #1)

SHE MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN HER PEOPLE AND HER FREEDOM...

Xylara is the Daughter of the Warrior King, Xyron. With her father dead and her incompetent half-brother on the throne, the kingdom is in danger of falling to the warring Firelanders.

Before she was old enough for a marriage-of-alliance, Xylara was trained as a healer. She can't usurp her brother or negotiate a
Published June 13th 2005 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Warprize, please sign up.
Britney (BookDrunkSloth) We find out that in their culture, it is customary for each warrior to produce at least five children before they are allowed to start their training…moreWe find out that in their culture, it is customary for each warrior to produce at least five children before they are allowed to start their training to be warriors. None of them raise their own children. It sounded as though other members of their people called "theas" raised the children. Every warrior Lara meets has the tattoos showing the children they had before, even the women.(less)
Twilla Wickedly Sweet and Synful Book Blog I really didnt care for the fact that she knows next to nothing about him. He never even discussed his 5 kids with her. Several of the other warriors…moreI really didn’t care for the fact that she knows next to nothing about him. He never even discussed his 5 kids with her. Several of the other warriors told her about theirs. Even Gils father bragged about him. (less)

Start your review of Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)
new_user
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Warprize disappointed me. I had my first clue a few pages in when I realized the prose I could expect would be basic at best, for a romantic fantasy.

While I liked the premise of Warprize and Vaughan's grasp of relationships and human dynamics, the plot was mild, with little conflict to speak of and thus, little suspense or action or even upset. It's all very ho-hum.

I liked the hero Keir -he was to all appearances strong and charming and everything nice, an admittedly refreshing change from the
Helen 2.0
Did anyone else notice that (in the paperback version at least) the spelling of the Warlord's name switched randomly in the middle of the book? For the first couple chapters it was "Kier" and then for the rest of the book it was "Keir". *frowns at editors*

Wow. This book was great. I read it in little bits because I was busy with buddy reads, but I'm glad I didn't give up on it. The writing was lovely, aside from editing oversights *frowns again*, and the world-building... Damn. Too interesting.

Jo
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine, 5-stars, gr2016

Absolutely fantastic!!!!

It is said that the attraction between warlord and warprize is as the heat of the sun that shines in the height of summer.

I love fantasy, but b/c Im such a romance addict I tend to read more romance than fantasy. Its rare to find a fantasy book with a sufficient amount of romance, and this book was an absolute treasure ;-)

Lara is the daughter of a Warrior King, but for her theres nothing more important than being a healer. Whether its friend or foe, anyone who

Lover of Romance
Warpize is the first book in the series, and books 1-3 could actually be one big book, since there are no breaks between books, it just starts off from where the previous book left off. Now for quite some time I kept putting these books off, but I finally decided I needed to try it. Now after reading this book I bought books 2 and 3!!! You go into this book, expecting it to be a average historical themed bodice ripper style of book...well nope it wasn't. Now there are some bodice rippers I love, ...more
Gail Carriger
Nov 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This is a culture conflict comfort read for me. I just love the juxtaposition of Keir's pastoral nomadic tribes and Xylara's settled quazi-medieval world. The romance is sweet and poignant but equally balanced against wonderful alt-history fantasy worldbuilding. Side characters are excellent two, and there's solid LBGTQ representation (especially as the series progresses).

I love that there are flaws in culture and knowledge in both cultures, as well as strengths. Xylara must balance the two. I
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Re-read: 02.04.2017
I have no idea why I even started rereading this book. Sure, it's a alright read, but it's not something I'd write home about. Keir, Warlord of the Plains and Xylara Lara, Daughter of Xy are cute, separately they are great, the second characters are awesome, the concept and the world is fascinating... however, it's long. And a bit slow.
You tried. That was all you could do. All any of us can do....

Also, there insta-love, though it is written so one doesn't feel that it
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
A good book all around - not what I thought it would be but left me satisfied that I read it.

I thought this would have a "fantasy" aspect of it but instead we are given a story of a historical kingdom at war with a barbaric tribe.

There is a princess and a warlord....an angry brother/king and a group of barbarians who are more peaceful than the hooty-tooty society.
Samantha K
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one but it lacked big-time in the sex department. Sex department? Yeah, I don't think the word sex should be used in conjunction with the book. No kidding there's almost nothing here and very little description of the sex that does (finally!) happen. I also thought there was very little heat between the H and the h. Oh - and the story isn't over. It ended abruptly with no epilogue.

So why 4 stars? I'm not sure - lol. I'm not a fan of this type of "clean" book but I read the entire
Jen Davis
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. If you enjoy fantasy romance even a little I would recommend it without hesitation.

This is a story about people. By that I mean, its not an epic fantasy. Its not about complicated politics or really nuanced worldbuilding. Its about Lara, a wonderfully drawn healer, and her journey of sacrifice, empathy, and evolution. Its about her Warlord hero, her friends, and her new community all created with depth and care; all rich with real personality and designed with an impact on her
Mindy Lou's Book Review
I found out about Warprize from a book group on Facebook. It was recommended in comparison to Golden Dynasty and Captive of the Horde. I loved both of those books so I had to try this. After reading it, it's defininetly a good comparison while still feeling like it's own book.

The heroine is a strong woman who doesn't frighten easily. She has royal blood but spends her time as a healer. I liked her. This is one of those rare moments where I can say that I have absolutely no complaints where the
NMmomof4
2.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: I'm super disappointed if I'm being completely honest. This started out and I was really into it, staying up way too late reading one more chapter, thinking "yes! another The Golden Dynasty type book"....but then it flopped. I don't have to have sex in books, but I do need a connection. I liked the tension leading up to Lara being with Kier and H's people, but then everying seemed to fizzle out. No connection to the characters and no connection between them. I felt as
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
3.5 stars, maybe 4. It was good, moved slowly, but didn't so slowly I wanted to harm people.

Things I enjoyed:
- all the characters experienced growth.
- culture clash between city dwellers and tribal plainsman
- the ensuing miscommunication
- Lara, the princess, is a healer
- Keir, the Warlord, is sweet & hot.
- Political intrigue and drama

About the listed genre: not fantasy. No magic or fantastical beasts, it's a historical romance.

It's too hot to write a better review and I rather read
A
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I decided to write just one review for these three books in the series, cause they all tell a story of one couple, Lara and Keir :) originally, I rated the first two book 4 stars, but after a few weeks have passed, I decided to give all three of them 3 stars instead mostly because the more I thought about it, the more I was sure that it was only a mediocre story for me dont get me wrong, I found the first book on sale and was in a mood for a fantasy-ish / historical story with some sort of ...more
Christa
8/18/18 - on sale for $1.99
This was a favorite book and its on sale today. If you like romantasy and excellent world building go buy it!

5 stars!!

It's like this book was written for me.
- detailed world building
- main character is a healer
- exploration of two different cultures
- the plot has romance but it's not front and center
- no instalove
- it's the first in a series!!! More books!!

This book reminded me of the Tainted Accords series by Kelly St Clare, so if you like one you'd probably like
Felicia
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one for the ladies. I enjoyed this book, it's very much a romance set in a fantasy world, if you like CL Wilson's trilogy you will like this. The main character can come off as a little unbelievable good at times, but I did feel the need to zip through in one night, so that's always a good sign :) I'll be reading the followups.
Kay
Jul 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tyrant cooks
Recommended to Kay by: someone who lied about reading the Kushiel series
Someone recommended this book on an "If you liked Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart..." forum.

That was probably an ill-advised recommendation.

Other than being nothing at all like Kushiel, this book has its fair share of problems. Cardboard characters, mundane plot, and romantic cliches all abound in this incredibly ho-hum, stagnant excuse for a story. Most of the book revolves around Lara's tedious daily activities, and it gets old pretty quickly: Healing the wounded, picking off willow bark
Melanie A.
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow! Can Elizabeth Vaughan ever write!

Generally, I like the books I read to have a few layers of smut in them. (Shocking, I know!) So imagine my surprise when I found myself COMPLETELY embroiled in a book where not a single salaciously untoward thing happens! Especially when it's about a woman who's given as tribute to an invading barbarian Warlord. Somehow the author kept it classy, and I should have been disappointed! I should have been outraged! I should have dumped this book back at the
TJ
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-romance
4.5/5.0
There are books we read for suspense, some we read for the beauty of the word, other's to pit our minds against the authors to solve a mystery. Then, there are some that encompass the very reason books exist... the story. That, that has existed since time began, one person imagining worlds and people and love and trials to rise above, then weaving them into a story to entertain and to teach, the kind people used to tell at bedtime to capture the attention then ponder while drifting off.
Holly
Nov 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With an incompetent king on the throne, the kingdom of Xyian is in danger of falling to the Firelanders who swarm outside the city's gates. Thrust into a war that she can do nothing to prevent, Master Healer Xylara, sister to the king, does what she can to prevent the suffering of the men on both sides of the war. Heedless to her brother's demands that she stop treating the enemy, Xylara continues visiting the prisoners, doing the best she can to ease their conditions, and in doing so, brings ...more
Minni Mouse
I adore stories about falling in love after arranged marriages. This book had the sweet tenderness from Radiance (just with a stronger plot apart from the romance), an intelligent healer like Claire from Outlander, and similar action and story elements as The Golden Dynasty (but without the tastleless gore and explicit sex).

In short, Warprize was a darling and entertaining story about a brave young woman in the middle of two medieval feuding kingdoms. No prophecies, no magic, no fey folk,
Ari Reavis
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ari by: Logan Keys
First off to Logan Keys
 photo thanx_zpsmy2ldov9.gif
This book was fan-freaking-tastic. I am forever taking your book recommendations after this.

Ok now, in case you missed it from the beginning paragraph, this book blew my mind. It had everything I love. An arranged marriage, violence and fighting, treachery, great secondary characters. It just had it all. I was glued to each page. I walked around looking like a zombie for the past 2 days because I stayed up so late reading. Was it worth it?
 photo hell_zpsj6yw9zea.gif

I loved Lara. She was strong
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
"Want to know the best part about being a warlord?" came a hoarse whisper. I bit my lip, puzzled by the question. Keir's mouth curled up slowly into a smile. "I always get what I want."

A bit of an anticlimactic quote since the war lord was in fact not a jerk! All jokes aside I did like this book, it wasn't amazing but there was something about it. I went in expecting a high fantasy romance with some magic and epic world building but aside from a little world building this was more of a romance
Sunny
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jonetta
Recommended to Sunny by: Phoebe
One of my favorite books as a kid was The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. This book has the same feel. I was completely engrossed in the story. It is a great balance between action and character development. I was thoroughly engaged with the characters. Two small things could have made this stronger for me: 1. I would like to know more about Keir and his perspective. I think this was limited because the story is told from a singular point of view, Lara's. 2. As an adult reader, I could have used a ...more
Booknut
**Check out the original review over at 21st Century Once Upon A Times**
'"But he has claimed tribute."

(...) "What does he claim?" I took a step toward Xymund. Still, he did not turn. I looked around, but no one would meet my eyes.

At last, general Warren drew a breath. "You," he cleared his throat. "He claims you as tribute."

"Me?" My voice squeaked and sounded like it came from a distance.

Xymund did not turn. "As a slave."
'
Would you sacrifice your freedom for peace?

That question tends to be the
Zeek
Lara is a healer and, in her eyes, that takes precedence over her royal blood. By simply being who she is, she finds herself sold as war booty to appease a warlord about to overtake her weak brother's kingdom.

And yet still, she is who she is, and her healing ways make her just as beloved by the people in the warlord's camp as she ever was in the Kingdom of Xy. Because she will not compromise her beliefs as a healer, she's about to change two kingdoms, for the better.

Loved every minute of this
Viktoria Winter
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy fantasy romance
I've decided to review this series as a whole! (Review to come.)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Love, love, LOVED it. Scholarly princess claimed by barbarian Warlord--yes, please ;)
Johanna
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Once upon a time I was having a nice discussion with someone on here about the enemies-to-lovers trope and she recommended several books that I put onto my wish list for my kindle and hardly ever looked at again well, last night I had a headache, was half asleep and absolutely wanted some romance so I bought this book and started reading and didn't sleep enough so I had a headache for the rest day. Anyway. I finished!!!!
Well, this was surprisingly delightful. It's a classic enemies-to-lovers
Gail Carriger Fan...: June 2016: Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan 6 41 Sep 16, 2016 04:29AM
I NEED SOMETHING SIMILAR!!!! 5 181 Feb 14, 2015 11:03AM
WORD Bangin' Book...: June Book Club Pick: Warprize 1 4 Jul 10, 2014 06:25AM
What's the Name o...: medieval romance brother sells sister into marriage [s] 7 84 Jan 07, 2014 01:10PM
My Interview with Elizabeth Vaughan! 1 20 Sep 24, 2012 01:50AM

• Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Master of Crows (Master of Crows, #1)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
  • Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2)
  • Radiance (Wraith Kings, #1)
  • Wildest Dreams (Fantasyland, #1)
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland, #2)
  • A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles, #1)
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)
  • Entreat Me
  • Phoenix Unbound (Fallen Empire, #1)

Elizabeth A. Vaughan is the author of the Chronicles of the Warlands, a fantasy romance trilogy from Tor Books: Warprize (her first novel), Warsworn, and Warlord..

She's always loved fantasy and science fiction, and has been a fantasy role-player since 1981. By day, Beth's secret identity is that of a lawyer,

Chronicles of the Warlands (6 books)
  • Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • Warcry (Chronicles of the Warlands, #4)
  • WarDance (Chronicles of the Warlands, #5)
  • Warsong (Chronicles of the Warlands, #6)