Start by marking “The Matzo Ball Heiress” as Want to Read:
The Matzo Ball Heiress

The Matzo Ball Heiress

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  521 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
But this year is going to be different. A fantastic publicity op to televise the Greenblotz' family seder is too good to (excuse the pun) pass over, despite the fact that a Greenblotz family seder is as real as the Easter bunny. But Heather has found a wonderful cast to play the necessary family roles (mailman = uncle, shopkeeper = grandma). So here's hoping that the surpr ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about The Matzo Ball Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Matzo Ball Heiress

Antof9
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'll admit it; I loved this book! I'm turning into a chick lit fan :)

Laurie Gwen Shapiro is one of those authors who writes characters I can actually see in my mind's eye, or I have actually known. So many of the scenes (believable or not) were easy to imagine, because she has such a great "descriptive gene".

I could have done without the mini-sex scene early on in the book, but did find it fascinating that there wasn't a sex scene at all with the hero/guy-we-were-cheering for. Intentional? Bec
Lynne
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Read it a while ago, don't remember too much about it so three stars.
Donna
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
My sister gave me this to read - I doubt I would have picked it up otherwise - and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Several pages in I found myself googling "matzo" and "seder" though - maybe I'm slow but I didn't seem to be completely understanding what they were from the context, only generally, and I'm a bit of a freak about exactness. I knew what matzo ball soup was, but not just "matzo."

Heather is a Jewish woman, heir and sometimes participant to the world's largest kosher matzo fa
Joni
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Diana
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: foodie-chicklit
I want to like this book, the premise was interesting but upon reading it, I find everything in it to be so contradictory. She said it's a big secret that her family, the Matzo Ball Biggest Maker in America isn't kosher but she blabbed/revealed about that fact to everyone that she has just meet for only 5 seconds, including someone that can clearly be seen as very unreliable like her intern, Roswell. Second she said over and over again she's a heiress but she mentions about buying from a sample ...more
Jojo
Feb 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was kind of super cute!

I liked that Heather didn't annoy me to no end like the majority of chick lit heroines do. She was fun! And even though she was pretending to be something she was not - a chick lit plot that is also usually annoying - it was different in this case because it wasn't some ridiculous scheme she had come up with herself. It wasn't her idea! It was for the good of the family business! The whole family was in on it! Oh, and I really liked that the love interest knew he
Katie M.
Oct 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Katie M. by: Rebecca
Shelves: jews, 2010
Okay, I'm not sure I can quite legitimately claim this one was recommended by Rebecca... more like she mailed it to me with a post-it note that read "terrible, but amazingly so!" And since I do whatever Rebecca tells me to do, and I can also be convinced to summon up at least a vague interest in pretty much anything involving Jews in New York, I read it. And totally enjoyed it. It's pretty absurd, but no one reads chicklit expecting anything less. And it turned out to be marginally less fluffy t ...more
Carlee
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
The Matzo Ball Heiress is a great chick-lit book that is not only a good read, but also informative. Okay, so the protagonist does spend a considerable amount of time whining about how tough it is being from a rich, dysfunctional family but she is more educated and sympathetic than many chick-lit characters.

The author includes plenty of tidbits about Judaism which I found interesting and relevant to the story. I also liked the behind-the-scenes look into making documentaries and television show
george
Heiress to the most well-known matzo brand, Heather Greenblotz is everything you wouldn't expect: she doesn't go to synagogue, she doesn't read Hebrew, and she is mot certainly NOT kosher. Heather's dirty little secret isn't that big of a deal until the uber-cute producer at the Food Channel wants to do a live broadcast of the famous family's seder. The seder that doesn't exist. Suddenly Heather's having to pull together her far-flung family and start hiding their massive secrets. Not to mention ...more
Debbie
Apr 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining story about the heirs of a matzo ball kingdom whose family life is severely dysfunctional. Yet, in order to boost their failing business, they must act like a normal Jewish family at their seder, televised live. The book's full of interesting characters from the best friend, the Egyptian diplomat, the gay father, the shopoholic mother, and the eccentric therapist. Not quite as good as The Anglophile, in my opinion, but still superior to most of the chick-lit out there.
Sue
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I'd picked up a romance book by accident or something but it had more depth than i expected. Now it's no War & Peace and it is a bit light weight easy read but it was also enjoyable and I liked the characters. Good story, actually more plausible than one might think, and has some good humor.
Amy
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I was lured by the chartreuse- cutesy cover & witty title. The wit, characters, modern allusions, & plot of this comedy make for an entertaining read. I suspect it would translate well into a screenplay for a modern romantic comedy starring a team the likes of Ryan & Hanks. -- Definitely a light read suitable for summer lounging.
Perkimom
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How much fun to find Jewish chick-lit! Matzo ball soup, dysfunctional Jewish family, gay characters, and Jews in all their different chosen traditions. I'd like to spend one of my Passover seders with this crowd (though on the second night...can't miss my favorite holiday with my family on the 1st!)
Dana
Jan 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Surprisingly, this was very cute. Home with a bad cold, I wanted something light - didn't expect to quickly finish it and find it as enjoyable as I did. It's VERY heavy on the Judaism - the language, the cultural references, the humor.... may not be as easily enjoyed by someone less familiar with it all.
Ariella
Jul 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a light book, a fast read, and is great fun. Brings out the Passover family spirit, and there's some romance too. Goes to show that no matter how much money someone has, it doesn't mean they're happy; and it's written in a way that makes me smile.
Rebecca
The only satisfying read of September's terrible chick lit binge. Solidly mediocre in every way, bordering on offensive, yet the mounting absurdity made my day. Ah, twist ending, how heartily you made me laugh. Best worst ending EVER.
Erica
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was cute. I bought it last year before Passover, but never got a chance to read it then, so I waited until Passover again this year. It was a fun and cute read, which I enjoyed timing it with the holiday.
Riv
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Just remembered this book when I found it at the Avenue J library and recommended it to my sister. Much in the vein of the shopaholic books and the like, but I found it much wittier and acerbic (right up my alley!) Plus, the heroine is Jewish, the heiress to a matzo factory fortune.
Marian
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I was between books when I re-read this one. It doesn't hold up quite as well as I remembered, but it's still a good read. I figure any book you don't quite want to finish simply because you don't want to leave the characters has done its job well.
Marsha
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It was a fun read
Martha Hull
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fun, and a superfast (as in I can't put it down, even in stairwells) read. I guess it's a chick book, but it seems like it would have greater appeal. Funny with compelling characters and story.
Mickeyslc
Oct 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Cute little book and a fast read.
Audrey Nizen
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
a really fun summer read
Maria
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this Jewish-themed chick lit book featuring a matzo-heiress protagonist. It had more gravitas than other books of its kind, and yet kind of had a silly, everything-ends-up-perfect ending.
Michele
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shapiro is a hilarious writer, and I really appreciated the truth in having a family that is culturally Jewish, but doesn't practice.
Betty
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
A fun, delightful read. The main character Heather, heir to a matzo ball factory, is definitely entertaining.
Kim
Jan 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Cute, quick read. I liked the main character and the storyline. I would recommend this.
Sue
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish-themes
Surprisingly entertaining & very funny.
Juliahoney Kamenker
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Totally hilarious about a matzo ball heiress and her dysfunctional family and friends
Peggy
Oct 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
I didn't enjoy this book. The story line was weak and I did not find it enjoyable to read.
  • Scenes From A Holiday
  • Speechless
  • Making Mischief
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • Rescuing Rose
  • The Romancipation of Maggie Hunter
  • Joyride
  • Girl Most Likely to
  • The Girlfriend Curse
  • Claire Voyant
  • Killer Summer
  • Confessions of a Serial Dater
  • The Last Year of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?
  • On The Verge
  • Summer in the Land of Skin
  • A Minor Indiscretion
  • Hand-Me-Down (Red Dress Ink Novels)
Laurie Gwen Shapiro is an award-winning documentary filmmaker and journalist whose writing has appeared in New York, Slate, Aeon, The Forward, and the Los Angeles Review of Books. The Stowaway is her first full-length work of nonfiction.
More about Laurie Gwen Shapiro...