Start by marking “Slow Reading” as Want to Read:
Slow Reading

Slow Reading

In the face of ever-increasing demands for speed-reading of volumes of information fragments, some readers are choosing to slow down. While it often seems necessary to read quickly, many readers share a conviction that reading slowly is essential to enjoyment and comprehension.

The involuntary practice of slow reading has been a subject of much research, but little is known
Published March 15th 2009 by Litwin Books

To ask other readers questions about Slow Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Reading

Start your review of Slow Reading
Riku Sayuj
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who recommended it to me

A Skimmable Note on Slow Reading

It is a pity that for a book that celebrates books that deserve, no demand the investment of time and all our mental and emotional faculties, it is itself barely so.

Despite its bite-sized length and lack of depth, it is still important. I would recommend potential readers to Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business if you want a deeper understanding of the issues that Miedema touches on in this book.

By the way, the book is not so
Richard Derus
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
This brief, attractively designed book is a master's thesis. It reads like a master's thesis. It is very, very important that readers, information science professionals, and policy-makers read this cogent, well-argued tract on the role of reading and the varying styles that reading follows.

John Miedema writes with concision and care of the subject at hand, the absorptive reading of text. He doesn't denigrate the role of any type of reading...he explicitly states that scanning, skimming, skipping
Benjamin
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libraries, reading
Taking the time to get the most of out what we read: pleasure, knowledge, an aesthetic experience... you might think you don't need a reminder about that. On the other hand, if goodreads is trying to guilt you into some kind of pages per day regime... maybe you do. I realized when I was in the middle of this that I am currently in the middle of ten books that I am reading a bit of at least once a week. That seems a little cuckoo.
Probably you aren't going to pick this up if you aren't already
Claudia
I bought this book hoping it would give me some insight into the fact some of my students make a goal to read faster, but every semester I have students who want to learn to read slower. There IS something about slow, reflective reading that is so rewarding. The author is a library science student, not a reading teacher, not a practicing librarian...not a psychologist...

I did not get what I needed from the book...he touched on the concept of 'flow' in reading, and in the deep enjoyment of
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So often I start to despair when I realize how many books there are and how few I will ever be able to read. Slow Reading offers me another response: "to simply and happily acknowledge that life is indeed short, and that our smaller selection of books represents a unique expression of our character. This second choice removes the needless pressure from reading, and restores it as a great pleasure." (Under the pressure of an ever lengthening reading list, I had forgotten that reading should be ...more
Mary Daniels
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Miedema put this slim book together from research he did for a graduate course in library and information science. Published in 2009, the book is somewhat outdated, though the basic research that he cites has only been supplemented, not supplanted, by work that has come later. This is a good introduction to the concept of slow reading, which he defines as a voluntary slowing down of the reading process to increase enjoyment and comprehension of a text.

"Slow readers have a particular capacity to
Roy Kenagy
Oct 30, 2011 marked it as to-read
Publisher's blurb: http://bit.ly/vQPt4Z

"The traditional technologies of print and the book have persisted as part of our information ecology because of the need for slow reading and deep comprehension. The theme of locality in the Slow Movement provides insight into the importance of physical location in our relationship with information. Most of all, Slow Reading represents a rediscovery of the pleasure of reading for its own sake."
Caralyn
A lovely book! I wrote a review of it for Libreas, but did not include one of my favorite quotes in that forum, so I'll include it here:

"Children can use fiction as a testing ground for their future selves. Is there any reason to stop this process when we reach adulthood? It is sad and a bit creepy to watch those adults who cease to imagine. If is as if their inner landscape is withering." (p. 57)
Tara Brabazon
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a surprisingly tremendous book. Miedema is a fine writer and I would also like to recommend the press: Litwin Books. The book is beautifully produced and a pleasure to read. So the form contributes to the argument.

Miedema offers a short but potent application of the slow movement to reading. It offers a reflections on and offline reading and possible strategies for intervention.
Jonathan
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A pleasurable introduction to the idea of slow reading. Although written in the format of a term paper, this book does an excellent job of explaining the various facets of slow reading. It describes why slow reading is important in the digital era.
Peter
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Written, I suspect, as a Master's thesis, this book is still a persuasive argument for the benefits of slow, deep, meaningful reading. Miedema offers an antidote to a growing cultural condition described by Nicholas Carr in "The Shallows."
Lydia Peever
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great study on ideas about reading slower, digesting books to their fullest and taking time to really read.
Jimmy Chavedo
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hesitate giving four stars as some of the material is irrelevant. However, that which is relevant really made me think about my reading practices, therefore; this book is a worthwhile read. Plus, even reading slowly it takes little more than an hour.

In his conclusion, Miedema says that we can only read about 5,000 books in our lifetimes (that seems crazy huge to me) and that that number is becoming a smaller proportion of the whole as the number of books in existence continues to grow
Bret Parker
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Insightful.
Mohammed Achalhi
Nov 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Slow Reading” by John Miedena is a book of paramount importance for those who read on consistent basis. The book addresses overwhelmingly the speed at which the reading can be done. Apparently reading can be accomplished in many distinctive forms; that is, avid readers, for instance, prefer to run their eyes swiftly over the material so as to get the general understanding in a short period of time. Whereas, others have an opposite preference from the latter. That is to say, they rather very much ...more
Mark
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read: 29 April-3 May 2009. Worth reading. Short with an easy style. [The LibraryThing reviewers who called this overly academic in their reviews are nuts.] I started on a review of this but didn’t get far due to assorted interruptions. Another one that I wish I had at least gotten down for myself.

Mike
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting. I am a slow reader and I thought it would provide some insight to my slow reading. It did and the I thank the author.
Reginald Simms