Start by marking “Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)

Death at Wentwater Court

(Daisy Dalrymple #1)

This first installment of a cozy mystery series transports listeners back to the bygone era of 1923 Britain, where unflappable flapper and fledgling journalist Daisy Dalrymple daringly embarks on her first writing assignment—and promptly stumbles across a corpse.

No stranger to sprawling country estates, wealthy Daisy Dalrymple is breaking new ground in having scandalously
Published September 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Death at Wentwater Court, please sign up.
Glenda Osnach I found a copy in a used book store...Death at Wentwater Court. I don't even go into used book stores too often, I spend waaay too much on books. Now …moreI found a copy in a used book store...Death at Wentwater Court. I don't even go into used book stores too often, I spend waaay too much on books. Now that I'm retired must start using the local library more!(less)
Judith If books are in a series, I usually prefer to read them in the order written only because sometimes a back reference may be made in a book further alo…moreIf books are in a series, I usually prefer to read them in the order written only because sometimes a back reference may be made in a book further along in the series. There really isn't a rule that says you have to read them in order. I have had really good luck getting books through my library's inter-library loan program as well - ask your librarian if such an option exists.(less)

Start your review of Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
Julie
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Murder at Wentworth Court by Carola Dunn is a 2006 Kensington publication. (Originally published in 1994)

A genuine whodunit set back in the 1920s!

When Daisy Dalrymple, a photographer and journalist arrives at Wentworth Court to work on a feature article about the historical home, she soon finds herself embroiled in a host of family dramas, while trying to discourage a rather ardent admirer.

But, when another guest is found dead, the apparent victim of an ice -skating mishap, Daisy suspects foul
Dale Harcombe
Daisy Dalrymple is off to Wentwater Court. She is going to be staying there while writing about the estate for Town and Country magazine. What she doesn’t expect to walk into is a death. At first it appears it may be an accident but several things don’t quite add up. An investigation ensues. It is later revealed to be much more serious than that.
I don’t often read these very English type of mysteries and it took me a while to get used to the style with various expressions like ‘ spiffing ‘and m
Jaylia3
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This lighthearted Downton Abbey era 1920’s mystery totally charmed me. Daisy Dalrymple comes from a titled family, but after her brother was killed in the Great War and her father died in the flu epidemic their estate passed to a distant relative (shades of Jane Austen!) leaving the remaining female family members somewhat impoverished. Daisy is quite cheerful about working for a living though, and being a society girl doors open for her, so she’s off to Wentwater Court to to write a story for T ...more
Jim
Shades of Downton Abbey! Well, that was the reason I tried it. I really liked Downton Abbey & hadn't thought I would, but there's a charm & many lessons in the old manor lifestyle during the sweeping changes of the 1920s which we're undergoing as well.

What was surprising was that a 'cozy mystery' could be so well done. The mystery was quite a good one & I was given the same information as the investigators, so had the same opportunity to solve it. I really appreciate that & the way everything f
Anna
Some undemanding reading for a change. A light mystery set in the 1920s England, somewhat a cross between Downton Abbey and Phryne Fisher, the TV-show (since I haven't read the books and both Essie Davis and Nathan Page are positively delightful). A bit too heavy on the aristocratic slang of the time but I assume that it shows that the author did her research (also, how silly is that slang?!) Don't think I'll continue the series as there is nothing special about it but I did enjoy reading this o ...more
Lisa
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, just-for-fun
An enjoyable cosy crime mystery set in 1920's England.
The Honourable Daisy Dalrymple is young and ambitious in a time when ladies of the aristocracy are expected to marry and run their household.
Not Daisy; she is writing an article for Town & Country magazine and hoping to break into journalism. And when there is a murder at Wentwater Court she is eager to help Scotland Yard solve the crime.
I like Daisy and the story was good but the way the murderer is discovered is a little disappoin
Leah
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, new-to-me, crime
An entertaining cosy...

It’s 1923, and the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple, daughter of a viscount, has broken with tradition by getting a job. Hired by an up-market magazine to write articles on stately homes, her aristocratic background is useful in allowing her to mingle on an equal footing with the owners and their families. So as the book begins, Daisy is on her way to stay at Wentwater Court, home of the Earl of Wentwater.

Daisy is not the only guest and she soon finds that the house is filled w
Amy
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I have indulged in quite a few detective novels recently and this one is my favorite so far. I get why people refer to it as a "cozy." Its a comfortable read, light and fun but still puzzling. Who killed Lord Astwick? Everyone has a motive but our flapper-turned-journalist heroine. I liked Daisy's character, she's charming. I like Chief Inspector Alec, who lets be honest, reminded me of Chief Inspector Jack Robinson from Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (the show, not those awful books.)
Judy
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cozy mystery is a good choice for a light read. I enjoyed this first installment about Daisy Dalrymple, who is trying to establish herself as magazine writer. The mystery was a good one, and there is a hint of a later romance. I think I will look at others in this series.
Randi Annie Framnes
When journalist Daisy Dalrymple goes to Wentwater Court to write a magazine article about the estate, she finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation. One of the guests is found face down in the nearby pond and Chief Detective Inspector Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard has come to investigate. He relies on Daisy’s help to get the information he needs. Strange and intense secrets come to light between family members and guests at the estate.

Death at Wentwater Court is the first installmen
Nicky
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime
Reviewed for The Bibliophibian.

I really wanted another detective series, a little along the lines of Kerry Greenwood’s Phryne Fisher (without being a total clone, of course — that’s just boring). I tried Jacqueline Winspear’s Maisie Dobbs, and I found the first book less than satisfying — the writing choices took any possible tension out of it, while I found Maisie herself rather a cold fish, and more in the Sherlock Holmes line than the kind of sleuth I prefer. Reading my review of that book ba
Leslie
Mostly enjoyable first book in a cozy mystery series set in England during the 1920s. I did find myself questioning some of the slang used (such as a maid in a country house saying "wizard" to mean 'cool', 'neat', 'exciting' -- I know that this term originated in the early 1920s but it seems out of place for this character).

I also had some problems with the ending. (view spoiler)
Veronica
A comfortable enough historical cozy with likable characters, most notably the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple who hasn't let drastic changes in her family's fortunes get her down. The mystery behind the murder was interesting enough but failed to find traction as the mystery is eventually solved through confession as opposed to any specific sleuthing. The ending also was a bit of a disappointment due to my feeling that the author let everyone off far too easily. Or maybe I just like a bit more darkn ...more
Kathy
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, mystery
This has been my car audiobook. I read the printed book several years ago. I enjoyed both the story (which I’d pretty much forgotten) and the narrator’s interpretation.
Olga Godim
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Reading this book was pure, unmitigated pleasure. Although it is the first novel of the series, it’s not the first Daisy Dalrymple mystery I’ve read. I have already read several others in no particular order and I have to admit: I enjoyed them all. I love the lead characters, I love the setting – England in the 1920s – and I absolutely adore Carola Dunn’s easy and expressive writing style. Especially her sweet British vocabulary, which makes the experience of reading her novels so delightful.
In
Anastasia
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn is the first book in the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series. Novice reporter and photographer, Daisy Dalrymple, is covering a story for Town and Country magazine on Wentwater Court when one of the guests is killed in an apparent ice-skating mishap, but Daisy's photographs ahow that an axe was used to weaken the ice. A charming introduction to the series. Daisy is a strong, ambitious and likeable character. The main letdown was that the crime was not actually s ...more
Jammin Jenny
I really enjoyed this cozy mystery with Daisy Dalrymple serving in an unofficial sleuth capacity. For some reason the police always confide in her, as does everyone else, which gives her a heads up when solving crime. I really enjoy this series.
Aerykah
This book was pretty good... I wish I had time to say more about it, but I don't. :/

Warning: there is some bad language in this one.
Hannah
A very enjoyable first installment in the Daisy Dalrymple series, one that would definitely please fans of historical mysteries. This, I think, is one of those series that are far better read in order. I had actually picked up Dead in the Water (Book 6) by mistake a long time ago and remember not liking it half as much as I liked this one. In hindsight, I realize it's because the latter books jump straight into the mystery without much backstory, and you barely know either Daisy or Alec (as most ...more
Kathleen
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first book in the Daisy Dalrymple series set in England in 1923 fills in many of the details of Daisy’s background. First, her losses – her dear brother Gervaise’s death in WWI, her fiancé Michael’s death, her father’s death from the deadly influenza epidemic, and her family home passing on to the next male heir, a cousin.
Faced with living with her cousin and her “ghastly” mother, Daisy, daughter of a Viscount, chooses to move in with her photographer friend, Lucy Fotheringay and bear the di
Jessie
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
Ugh. Well that was a flat story.Flat like an opened Coke bottle that has resided in the fridge for over a week, and in a moment of desperation for something sweet and refreshing you lunge for said beverage and gulp it down, only to fall weeping to the floor as you try to scrape away the sensation of fizz-less syrup congealing to your tongue, and no feeling of satisfaction to be found anywhere.

I thought I could happily get away with reading a fun, light, mystery. One that happened to be magically
Christa
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
This was my first book by Carola Dunn, and I was entertained by it. This book reminded me of the current "Royal" series by Rhys Bowen. I enjoyed the character of Daisy Dalrymple, as well as that of Detective Alec Fletcher. I like historical mysteries, so am glad to have found this entertaining series.

Daisy Dalrymple, daughter of a viscount, has elected to work in the early 1920's rather than be dependant upon family members. She heads to Wentwater Court to write a magazine article, but shortly a
Roxana
Aug 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Alisha
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Aristocratic magazine writer Daisy Dalrymple shows up at a country house to do research for an article. But she gets sidetracked when the most unliked guest at the house turns up mysteriously dead one morning.

Daisy and Alec Fletcher, the Chief Inspector sent down from Scotland Yard, work together to take statements of all the suspects and figure out whodunnit. Clear setup for those two to continue to work together in future books.

Enjoyed about two-thirds of this book; the resolution was spread
Jessica D Kaufman
Dec 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh

Doesn't add up, too easy a solution, very convenient. Not like real life at all except for the rich getting off--though the author has made it seem ok since the deceased was supposedly such a bad person. Cheesy. I won't waste my time with more from this author.
Lee
First books in mystery/detective series can be tough. The author has to introduce the main characters and establish their personalities, one of whom we need to find very likeable, as well as give us a bit of background on those characters, without using information dumps or corny flashbacks. Then, they need to bait us enough in the ending to ensure we pick up book number two in the series. Dunn’s effort ticked all the boxes all while presenting a half decent murder plot.

Considering there are cu
*The Angry Reader*
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, mystery

We’ve been renovating our house for a couple of weeks now. Painting. Baseboards gone. Waiting on new floors. Furniture scattered. Everything is a mess.

And then Tuesday this little tropical storm appears. Now it’s days later and we’re being slowly stalked by a hurricane. Nothing to do but sit and wait and wonder. Will Dorian turn?

Of course reading is pivotal. And what to read is the most important decision of all. I don’t want anything stressful. It’s difficult to focus, and I have eno
Carol
The Honourable Daisy Dalrymple has taken an
assignment for the Town and Country magazine
to photograph and write an article on the
Wentwater Court estate.
Daisy has a wealthy background and her taking a
job is unusual for a woman in 1923 Britain. But
she forges on to do her own photography and
writing.
Little did she know that she would find herself
involved in a murder investigation. Her photographs
show that the man death staged to look like an
accident were deliberate.....meaning murder.
Daisy works al
Jenny
Death at Wentwater Court is book one of Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn. Daisy Dalrymple at Wentwater Court to cover a story for Town & Country magazine. However, while Daisy was visiting Wentwater Court when Lord Stephen Astwick dies, when Detective Chief Inspector Fletcher from Scotland Yard arrived and the evidence convenience him it was murder, Daisy join forces to find the murder. The readers of Death at Wentwater Court will continue to follow Daisy, and Detective Chief Inspector Flet ...more
Andree
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A fairly standard cozy mystery, but I enjoyed it. I like Daisy. She's perky without crossing a line over into obnoxious. I enjoy her as aspiring magazine writer, perhaps one day novelist. I also really like her dynamic with Detective Alec.

Also, liked the lack of peril.

Don't have a lot to say about this - it wiled away a few hours.

• Murder in Black Tie (High Society Lady Detective)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery, #1)
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • The Egyptian Antiquities Murder (High Society Lady Detective Book 3)
  • Dying in the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • Murder at Blackburn Hall (High Society Lady Detective Book 2)
  • A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder at Archly Manor (High Society Lady Detective #1)
  • Tee? Kaffee? Mord! - Miss Rittinghouse und die sprechenden Bücher (Nathalie Ames, #13)
  • The Down-East Murders (Sarah Deane Mystery, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Murder in Montparnasse (Phryne Fisher, #12)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)