Start by marking “details from the edge of the village” as Want to Read:
details from the edge of the village

details from the edge of the village

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  7 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Pierrette Requier’s first book of poems, details from the edge of the village, offers a single stunning narrative arc that is novelistic in its sweep. A bilingual component merges northern Alberta French seamlessly into the flow as she embraces two centuries through the telling.
Published 2009 by Frontenac House

To ask other readers questions about details from the edge of the village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about details from the edge of the village

Alexis
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I really loved this collection of poems, which details what it is like to grow up in a large French Canadian family in northern Alberta. The author creates a vibrant, playful voice and it's really easy to picture the images in her stories, especially when you have some knowledge of French and an appreciation for northern Alberta. There's a lot of wordplay and a lot of humour in this collection, which makes it a fun read. I'm not sure what it would be like if you didn't speak French, as she does ...more
Ken Davis
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Pierrette Requier uses a prose-poetry structure reminiscent (at least for me) in style and even voice to Ondaatje's "Collected Works of Billy the Kid." Her narrative account of growing up in northern Alberta in a large, struggling Franco-Albertan farm family is powerfully evocative. A powerful, worthwhile read.

Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Pierette's style of poetry. The stories she weaves here are vivid and often heartbreaking. I was lucky to get to spend a day with her recently. I only wish my French was better because I am sure there are references & metaphors I missed.
Lindy
Jul 05, 2011
Hayley Y
marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2017
Pierrette Requier, a long time member of the Stroll of Poets Society of Edmonton, facilitates the Wind Eye Poetry Seminars. For the last ten years, she has been involved in spoken word performances as a student and as a group facilitator. She has performed her poetry and monologues in both English and French in festivals and readings across Alberta, including Edmonton’s 2007 Word! Gala, Calgary’s ...more
More about Requier, Pierrette...