Start by marking “Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken: Transform Your Life with the Power of Authenticity” as Want to Read:

Praise for Be Yourself, Everyone Else is Already Taken "Mike's book is a wonderful expression of authenticity in action--clear, honest, instructive, and a passionate call to be your true Divine Self."
--Cheryl Richardson, New York Times best-selling author, Take Time for Your Life

"Mike Robbins provides a clear guide for intelligently and compassionately coming face-to-face
Published April 6th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken

Start your review of Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken: Transform Your Life with the Power of Authenticity
Johnny
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Clear, fantastic book... a must read!
Jacob Sullivan
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I've read my Mike Robbins that is based on making yourself a better person. I decided to read this book because of the title, it really speaks to me. The controversial topic in this book is one that I struggle with a lot on a personal level. I always think to myself, "Oh, this persons cool, let me act exactly like them and I'll be just as cool." Although that may work, it's not a good thing to do. Everybody is born authentic, with their own unique personality. What makes ...more
Karl Niebuhr
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I had high expectations for this book as I think it is a very important subject and I really liked a talk on YouTube Mike gave. Unfortunately for me at least, this book gave me the feeling of loosing my time, too much clutter for my taste. I love books which go to the point. For me, watching his talk did the job of absorbing the main message. In case you are interested, here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4iFA...
Jessica Evermore
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Superb book! I listened to it on audiobook, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well written, well organized, and well presented. I thought the author gave some excellent pointers about authenticity, and it's something the world desperately needs. Highly recommended!
J.S. Bell
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book and needed to keep a positive mind and to be yourself.
Sarah Joy
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nothing super amazing. Quite repetitive. I expected better.
Lianne
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Didn't change my life, but interesting with some helpful tidbits and an all-around great message.
Emmanuelle
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I had to read through this one twice because there are so many good things he brings up. I docked a star for the fact that this book makes you notice too many things about yourself you never focused on before; all things you've always noticed but usually avoided dwelling on. You will learn a lot; there are great tips and suggestions, such as writing yourself a letter, sealing it and having a trusted friend mail it to you at a time of their choosing. While you can read it in one setting, it's ...more
adllto
Nov 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ologies
This is a very different book to the last book I read on authenticity which was The Authenticity Hoax and it has perhaps even a slightly unfamiliar understanding of what authenticity is. It is about finding your true Self rather than being your false self or your shadow and in doing so it is to be authentic rather than have authenticity. It is not the common excuse of being true to yourself and not doing anything about your life circumstances.In religious language we might say living to our ...more
Daniel
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a God-send for me and my life. I've been bashing my head against the wall doing the same thing but expecting different results. I was introduced to authenticity a few years ago but felt that it just wasnt something acceptable in society..or myself. My oh my how times have changed. Thank you to the author for speaking so honestly and passionately. this is a very easy read, broken up into esentially two parts: Why we sabotage ourselves AKA Why we feel fucked up. 2nd part discusses ...more
Craig
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some good lessons about caring for yourself and being true to yourself without being a jerk to everyone else. Mike Robbins comes off as he teaches, authentic, he admits that it's a struggle to be authentic and describes several situations where he struggled and how he got past it. He also relays some real life stories to drive points home. Worth a read.
Janetymj
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I read on 'authenticity'--I think it does touch some of the core dysfunctional aspects in my life and my attitudes towards myself and people around me. It's an inspiring book to me. I highly recommend this book if you feel some deep insecurity within you from time to time, whilst everything on the surface looks perfect for you. Very helpful and easy to read :)
Rachel
Sep 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I thought this was a great book to start the process of truly being yourself. The book was long, repeated itself and felt somewhat over the top in its delivery. I had a hard time with all the grammer and spelling errors as well. I would still recommend this book to anyone who wants to start the journey of self discovery.
Lara
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read the before-publishing copy....really amazing. I learned so much on just being real and vulnerable even when I won't look "cool" or "together" and how that connects us all....powerfully written in an honest and yes, vulnerable voice. I think therapists and coaches should gift their clients with this highly researched, yet easy-to-read book!
Jonathan Minnick
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Some good concepts, I would almost give it 3 stars for its inspirational quality, but there are a lot of big problems with the book.
Gaby
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a book on how to being really authentic and live your life with integrity, this is the book!
Catherine
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Not bad, just not revolutionary. Certainly a great reminder to be authentic.
Cathy Brodbeck
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVE Mike Robbins and this book is truly enlightening!!
Sue Sharples
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
average - not very readable
Helena
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good one, I am a big fan of Mike Robbins.
John
Nov 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done
  • The General's Daughter
  • The Forgotten Road (The Broken Road, #2)
  • Presto! How I Made Over 100 Pounds Disappear and Other Magical Tales
  • Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything
  • The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil
  • The Gift of Anger: And Other Lessons from My Grandfather Mahatma Gandhi
  • Just After Sunset
Mike Robbins is the author of four books: Nothing Changes Until You Do, Focus on the Good Stuff, Be Yourself Everyone Else is Already Taken, and his most recent, Bring Your Whole Self to Work (May, 2018). He's a sought-after keynote speaker and business thought-leader who speaks to groups of all kinds throughout the world.

Some of his clients include Google, Wells Fargo, Microsoft, Gap, eBay,