Start by marking “The Unlacing of Miss Leigh” as Want to Read:
The Unlacing of Miss Leigh

The Unlacing of Miss Leigh

Disfigured in battle against Napoleon's forces, Captain Graham Veall has become a recluse, spending months alone on his estate and appearing masked in public. Yet Graham is determined not to forgo life's pleasures forever...especially the delight of a woman's touch.

He hardly expects virginal Miss Margaret Leigh to respond to his advertisement for female company, thinking h
Published April 1st 2009 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Unlacing of Miss Leigh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unlacing of Miss Leigh

Ana María
Muy cortito. Un cuento. Para levantar el ánimo. Podría haber sido un poco más largo. La bella y la bestia.: un ex soldado desfigurado contrata a una amante. Pero la inocente chica, sólo acepta cuando se entera quién es él. Una escena hot típica aunque ellos tienen más, nada de sexo raruno.
Lee
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, m-b, romance
I actually thought this novella was a little disappointing.

Paying homage to Phantom of the Opera, Gaston's hero (with the unfortunate name of Graham - sorry to all the Grahams out there, but no, just no) was injured in the Napoleon Wars, leaving him with a facial scar he keeps hidden with a mask at all times.

Graham thinks he's way too scary to find a woman the traditional way and decides to pay someone to be his mistress.

Meanwhile, our heroine needs money, so she agrees to the arrangement. Of
Erika
4 stars for what can been achieved in this length novella

This was a sweet and sexy 45 minute read. You can find it on scribd in an anthology called Pleasurably Undone!
Sonya
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short be very sweet
Justice W
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely short read

I was looking for an example of another short romance to learn the form, and this piece was recommended. I enjoyed it, even if historical isn't my usual thing. It was a pleasant romantic journey in a small package, with all the pieces I look for, a great treat that I hope I can emulate.
Nayeli Rubio
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Me encanta leer históricos y este libro tenía muy buen argumento, solo le faltaron como 10 capítulos más, no sabía que sería tan corto.
Michelle Connolly
Engaging and sweet. Could've been stretched out into a full written novel, but still worth reading as a simple novella.
Sylvain
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it

A collection of five sensual stories. History has never been so hot!Seducing a Strangerby Christine MerrillLieutenant Tom Godfrey returns home to find pretty young widow Victoria Paget in a bawdy house. What starts as a one-night seduction soon leads to morehellip;.The Viking's Forbidden Love-Slaveby Michelle WillinghamThough Aisling O Brannon is intended for the king's bed, fierce warrior Tharand must decide: please his kinghellip;or keep his captive love-slave for himself!Disrobed and Dishonor

Maura
Fiona Marsden
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely little story of a romance between a scarred veteran of the Napoleonic wars and a Vicars virginal daughter. A cross between the Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast, it tells the story of Margaret and Graham, who met once as children.

I really enjoyed this short, not overly steamy read. I loved the hero and the heroine was charming. Very enjoyable with a sweet ending.
Jacquelyn Smith
Captain Gaston was disfigured in Napoleon's forces, so he kept to his self, unless it was to find the pleasure of a woman.

He advertisted for female company Margaret resposded to his request. Why?

But Margaret has her own secret.

Will the two be able reach an agreement?

This was a good read with a good story line, but it was too short.
Soyanut
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very satisfying. Everything you can hope to find in a love story. Thanks Diane. This is fourth book from Diane Gaston that I read and all are instant favorites of mine. She delivers characters that you can relate to and storyline that is believable. I am going to read all her books!
Dawn-Desiree
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
It seemed like a draft for a story vs a actually story. There was not enough building of characters or plot line. There was a great deal more that could have been done to build on the idea of this story, rather disappointed that it was a short story,
Melindacee
Featuring my favourite trope of a disfigured, reclusive hero, this was a lovely story that desperately needed to be a little bit longer to further develop the two leads...a nice read that felt a little too rushed!
Elle
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
This reminded me of a warped version of fantom of the opera. I say "warped" because other than the mask thing, it's nothing like phantom of the opera ... yet the songs were playing in my head as a soundtrack to this read.
Jen
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved this romance combined two of my favourite genres historical and erotic
Portia Costa
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, touching story. I adore it when wounded heroes find true love.
Karen Darling
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love the fact that he is scarred but she has loved him for most of her life.
Amber
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: guilty-pleasures
Pretty good romance. I loved that the heroine was "in-charge," yet likeable.
Elaine
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindlefire
A surprisingly good read.
Ruth
What a lovely little story! Well-written and succinct. Loved it.
vra
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
too short of a story i'd say. read this if u want to preoccupy yourself on a 1 or 2-hour journey.
Joanne
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: h-undone
I loved this touching story. It was a well written quick read, beauty and the beast type tale. The heroine sees the beauty beyond the ugliness.
Sandra R
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beauty and beast type of story. Well written and romantic. A novella/shorter story length.
Marianne
Mar 17, 2013
Dawn
Jul 26, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Diane Gaston’s dream job had always been to write romance novels. One day she decided to pursue that dream and has never looked back; she is now writing full-time. Her books have won Romance’s highest honour—the RITA Award, the National Readers Choice Award and the Golden Heart. She lives in Virginia with her husband and three very ordinary house cats. Diane loves to hear from readers and friends.