Start by marking “The Illuminati” as Want to Read:
The Illuminati

The Illuminati

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  726 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
The year is 2001 and the world is on the brink of economic collapse as the Illuminati, a deadly secret organization, succeeds in placing one of their people in the office of the presidency of the United States, gaining control of world events.
Published January 1st 1992 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

Amy
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have the updated version from 2004. It is the original book, but with updated times, people, etc. Instead of it all happening in 2001, it's 2015.
I am getting towards the end of it. Even though it's a christian book, it's a very good read. When I started it less than a week ago, the first few pages didn't quite grab me. But when the earthquake in Japan happened, and the tsunami on the west coast, it caught my attention. It just got better and better from there. The conspiracy to eradicate the c
Stacy
Feb 04, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is interesting that in the author's acknowledgments he said that his sincere desire was to make "good, non-offensive fiction" available to the public, considering this novel is neither good nor non-offensive.

Let's start with the offensive part since that was the first thing I noticed. This book is fundamentalist, conservative, anti-abortion, anti-gay, and anti-ACLU Christian propaganda. I have no problem with Christian fiction and read quite a bit of it, but I do not take kindly to the ACLU,
Suz
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in end times events
Recommended to Suz by: My Dad
I enjoyed this book very much. It was written in 1991 and this novel is a pretty darned good picture of what's happening in the world right now, including the earthquake/tsunami that hit Japan, the economy, the state of the middle east, the problems facing the United States, etc. It's pretty eerie how closely this author seemed to have looked into the future. The internet was not widespread in 1991...remember Prodigy and Compuserve? The author calls it the Data-Net, but wow...very interesting so ...more
Mainon
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This, weirdly, was one of the formative books of my elementary-school years. No, it's not a young adult book. I was just a weird kid.

The year was 1992. I was nine years old, and two months into fifth grade. My parents had just moved us to a new house, which meant a new school, and the kids in my class were about to spend three days taking a standardized test-- the same standardized test I had taken a couple of weeks before at my old school. The new school obviously thought it would be dandy if I
Mark LaMountain
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I keep saying this because I happen to be remembering all the earliest books I've read, but this was like, THE FIRST book I can remember just getting entrenched in, on my own.

This book was wicked cool, even with it's silly christian spin. :P

Crazy ideas about secret societies, the prediction of earthquakes, super-elaborate systems. It's scary too, that a lot of the stuff it talked about in this fun fictional way is actually being talked about seriously nowadays.

A great book and a wicked cool rea
Beth Miller
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Considering the fact that my father was once a Free Mason...this book was of great interest to me. It was also, quite accurate and just a bit scary. Imagine a world that is so easily controlled by an elite group. Where the use of violent force is not given a second thought...makes one wonder. I found the writing a little bit slow at times, but for the most part...particularly toward the end...I had a difficult time putting it down. A great read!
Philipp Dollmann
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
quite good
Cathy
Jun 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read it a long time ago, but remember that I really enjoyed it.
Kim M-M
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
It really skewed my view of the world! I've been so naive! :) Really good adventure/political/ thriller, though it leaves you a little bit messed up.
Julie Simons
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scared

I enjoyed the book, but it did frightened me. To think that God and this great country could be manipulatived is now comprehensible.
Sean
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is FANTASIC!!!! It's thrilling, fast paced, twist-full, and pretty good writing. The story behind it is very exciting an the length is well worth it!
Calle
This review is from back in 2008 when I read the book. It deserves to be here because it shows how crazy the book is:

(This review is based on the 1991 edition of the book. apparently some details have been altered in the 2004 edition)

I suspect the title of this book was chosen to cash in on the mythical Illuminati, which has nothing to do with the secret society in this novel, "The Society" (although Burkett calls it the Illuminati a few times when first describing it). Burkett's Illuminati is a
Michel Meijer
Nov 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Horrible. In 200 pages we have read about: an impeached president, a killer tsunami in Californa, the mother of all earthquakes in Tokyo, a murdered president, all the oil in the world stolen Israel using slant wells, atomic bomb retaliation, cobalt bomb threats, Christian death camps in the USA (really? yes, really), an impeached USA Congress, a satanistic leader that rules the earth, a money-free economy, complete anarchy and martial law in the US, a computer controled monetary system - oh no ...more
Nora St Laurent
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
“In the year 2015, an ancient society takes over the presidency. The world's only prayer rests with a handful of Christians ready to take on the illuminati.

From before the time of Christ, there have been rumors of a secret society called the Illuminati - a vicious tribe of Druids with mystical, supernatural powers. Many saw them as demons or gods. Those who opposed them simply disappeared - or met an even worse fate.

As the centuries passed, this shadow - like group cloaked themselves in new iden
Sandy Schmidt
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Illuminati=Council of Foreign Relations=The Society. According to the book “For decades, top recruits from the families of Society members had been education in military schools and had risen to positions of authority until many of the top levels were dominated by them. But the plans of the Society had been laid so carefully that even lower-echelon leaders in the military had been carefully trained and recruited in the Society. The very fact that such a massive effort seemed impossible was what ...more
Keri (JD)
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book like 20 times as a 10-14 yro. My pastor owned it and I would sneak into his office and borrow it without permission and read it over and over again. I was so sick of the Bible, so sick of the same old books my Mom would let me read and this was exciting to me. Thinking about it now, I am sure he noticed that book on his shelf that got more and more worn and had the cover taped onto it,and just ignored his associate pastors book thief daughter, because hey, it was christian prope ...more
Manda
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
What starts as a political thriller slowly starts to turn into a heavily biased book by halfway through. The bad guys are all minions of Satan (yes, actual Satan) and the good guys, regardless of how they started the book, end up Christian because miraculously they see the light. Even a staunch opposer becomes a preacher with his own television show. A lot of stuff rankles in retrospect, but it got so heavily biased towards Christian Faith is good and casting Democrats as Satanic Society-followi ...more
maryann
Oct 10, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: only people who need to be reminded that christians can be a bit cross-eyed fanatical sometimes
Shelves: sciencefiction
wow, that was some BAD writing. and i mean awful. cringe-worthy terrible.

more importantly, the story was farfetched and fanatical. the premise of a christian 'minority' being persecuted by a secular government with the help of a docile population could *maybe* have worked if they'd set the book *way* in the future...and had some sort of rationale for why that would happen.

totally just an excuse for pious sighing. ew and ick. if you want to read some christial lit, the Left Behind series is muc
Mwcalco
Almost finished with this one. I have it in my high school library and decided to take it home for break. It's eerie how the events in the book mirror what is happening today and it was written in 1991. At the end of the book you can tell he was trying to align events with those described in Revelations.
Brian Dibonaventure
Mar 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap
What a complete load of crap. This guy is a hack. Someone gave me this book and I must have had a moment of self loathing because I forced myself to read it. It made me appreciate Dan Brown, at least that hack can string a coherent sentence together. Seriously, I hated this book.
Margaret Boehm
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very disturbing book, but it really makes you think
Will N Van
Jan 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Tripe.
Susan Robinson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good book. I personally would have liked more in-depth stories about some of the individuals that were affected by the terrible tsunami, or the camps, or those on the run. Or what happened to little Paula's family after Randy rescued her? I like to know more of the story myself. But, overall the book is good and I think it shows just what could happen.
Mary Jane
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oh, this book was awesomely terrible. I can't remember why I kept it on my shelf for so long.

Pros: 2 stars for (1) a creative imagining of government privacy violations and the eventual collapse of civil society and (2) the entertaining pace of the book.

Cons: (1) Offensive, simplistic and generalizable writing about my people (pro-choices, ACLU lovers, the LGBTQ community), (2) too many characters and little continuity, (3) the inherent assumption that humans cannot think for themselves, and (4)
Cookie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second time I've read this book. The first time was back in very early 2002, and I gave it 3 stars at the time. I found it fairly entertaining back then. This time, I came across it in an old box of my books, and it's the original printing (I guess it was, at a later time, subsequently updated). I enjoyed it much more this second time than the last time, and gave it 4 stars. Back in early 2002 when I read it, it seemed like really "out there" fiction. At this point, and after the way ...more
Ruben O.
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Putting all conspiracy theories aside this is a very interesting book with a lot of the situations that occur in the book seeming to play out in real every day life. That can sometime be a little troubling but considering the ending I dont mind too much. Definitely a book for the modern YouTube conspiracy theorists but a interesting read and always a precautionary tale of what could be... Overall I would say... Goodread.
Eulogio Edina
Sep 06, 2010 marked it as to-read
This book is for the people who still haven't been educated about the truth- The Illuminaty. This book speaks about who really run this world, whether being rich makes you eligible for many things. The people illumined ... means the people who know the truth about the prophecy. It talks about the people dying by dideases and why they are dying . This book is to influence the peopleabout who the should trust bbecause the goverment is not trustworthy.
Victoria
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Larry Burkett Fans ! Any one who likes a bit of conspiracy..:)
This is probably one of my all time favorite books.
I really like Mr. Burketts style of writeing.
I have read sevral other boooks that have a simalar storyline but they dont even compair ! Even though the very idea of the world he describes is depresing he shows the hope that WILL come.
I cant say enough good about this book , you will just have to read it your self ! :D
Chris
At first, I was really into this. Thinking it was from the Illuminati point of view. Soon enough, though, it changed into a trick--really a Christian book in the spirit of the Left Behind series. Quick, unassuming belief in Christianity from a computer geek, an FBI agent, and the town pastor. The villian, the chosen Leader made to look like a cartoonistic fool. Ugg!
Paul Barth
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark and captivating

This is the first book I have read this quickly in a long time. Some things are predictable, but the webs of deceit and intrigue made the story and plot move along quite well. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it is a reoccurring message and hopefully we will never see any part of the world Burkett painted.
Illuminati! 1 6 Jan 17, 2014 11:49AM
  • Dead Air
  • The Youngest Hero
  • Angelwalk (Angelwalk, #1)
  • Life Everlasting (Santee, #2)
  • Big City Eyes
  • Stories for the Heart: Over 100 Stories to Encourage Your Soul
  • Illuminati
  • A Mortal Glamour
  • Bloodlines of the Illuminati
  • A Maze of Stars
  • Joshua and the Children
  • Shadow of His Wings
  • Other Voices, Other Vistas: Short Stories from Africa, China, India, Japan, and Latin America
  • The Gathering Storm
  • The Athena Factor
  • Six Great Modern Plays
  • New Orleans Ghosts, Voodoo, and Vampires: Journey into Darkness
  • Marshall Brain's How Stuff Works
Larry Burkett was an American author and radio personality whose work focused on financial counseling from an evangelical Christian point of view. Burkett was born the fifth of eight children. After completing high school in Winter Garden, Florida, he entered the U.S. Air Force where he served in the Strategic Air Command.

Upon completion of his military duties, Burkett and his wife Judy returned t
More about Larry Burkett...