Start by marking “Night Of Thunder (Bob Lee Swagger, #5)” as Want to Read:
Night Of Thunder (Bob Lee Swagger, #5)

Night Of Thunder (Bob Lee Swagger #5)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  2,983 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR STEPHEN HUNTER RETURNS WITH HIS MOST RIVETING BOB LEE SWAGGER VOLUME TO DATE.

Talk about a ride!

Woe unto he who crosses Bob Lee Swagger, especially when his daughter's life is at stake. Forced off the road and into a crash that leaves her in a coma, clinging to life, reporter Nikki Swagger had begun to peel back the onion of a Southern

Published September 29th 2009 by Pocket Star (first published September 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Night Of Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Of Thunder

Nate
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Dear Stephen Hunter,

I understand that it probably gets boring writing the same kind of story over and over again, but sometimes it ain’t broke and you don’t need to fix it.

This is how you really Shake It Up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAEVg...
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
Well, if I went 4 stars on 47th Samurai I have to go at least that here. I (like others here) often bemoan the limited range of our 5 start system. I like these books, like all of them that I've read (it seems I missed one and will have to go back and pick up Time To Hunt, oops.) I don't however think that so far one is a 5 star read. The first was close (based on enjoyment and interest factors) but not quite. The The 47th Samurai I found...not quite as good. I suppose it would be on the lower e ...more
Jim Coughenour
I wouldn't say that Stephen Hunter has lost his edge, only that he's indulging himself. His new Bob Lee Swagger book isn't a patch on the old ones – Dirty White Boys; Point of Impact; Black Light; Hot Springs; etc. The previous one – The 47th Samurai – was evidently inspired by his interest in Samurais, and in the acknowledgements to Night of Thunder he confesses that this one was engendered by NASCAR. Hunter's got a Pulitzer prize, he can write whatever he wants but this book is a dud.

Even wors
DJMikeG
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maddy
May 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
RATING: 3.25

Bob Lee Swagger, former Marine sniper in Vietnam, is now in his mid 60s. You could almost believe that he is becoming domesticated, in that he has a happy home life with his wife Julie, their young daughter, Miko, and a successful adult daughter, Nikki. Nikki Swagger is a beginning journalist; currently, she is working on a series of articles about methamphetamine trade in the Virginia/Tennessee area. She's just completed an interview when she is pursued on a treacherous mountain roa
Mike
What goes well with a NASCAR 500 mile race, you ask? Why, Stephen Hunter figured it out jest fine. You need a big ole gun fight with a brigade of real nasty bad guys and just one good guy, if that good guy is Bob Lee Swagger. You see, these big old bad guys think they are Big Jim “Walker” Grumleys. But they musta not listened to the whole song on the radio when Jim Croce came on, cause they missed the unplugged version’s last chorus:

“You don’t tug on Superman’s cape
You don’t spit into the wind
Yo
Benjamin Thomas
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, audio-books
A Bob Lee Swagger novel by Pulitzer Prize winner Stephen Hunter is always a good time and this fifth book in the series is no exception. Former USMC sniper, Bob Lee Swagger just wants to be left in peace to live the good life with his family but when his eldest daughter (now a budding journalist) is run off the road and is put into a coma, Bob is worried there might be somebody from his past wanting to do him or his family harm.

His adventure takes him to the world of NASCAR at Bristol Speedway i
Jeffrey
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hunter fans
One of the problems that I have with thrillers of a certain vintage of long term authors is that we know that the main character is not going to die. SO you need to suspend your basic disbelief. This is not to say that authors do not kill off major characters -- wives being the most useful apparently.

In this latest thriller from Stephen Hunter, Bob Lee Swagger's daughter is injured in traffic hit and run while investigating the meth trade. Swagger, a sniper and ex Marine, and a fighter without c
William
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bob-earl-swagger
Our main character, Bob Lee Swagger, has done it all: fought samurai, other master snipers, and a variety of hitmen. So what is left? "Night of Thunder" offers up a group of backwoods hillbilly's, a corrupt deputy, and a hitman that kills people by running them off the road with the stolen car of his choice. Shouldn't be a problem for Bob the Nailer, and it isn't. It is too damn easy, and that is why the action seems boring and irrelevant. There are couple of quick shoot outs (because Bob is so ...more
Quinn
Dec 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-books, action
Although this book had some slightly surprising twists in the end and the action sequences were terrific they were far and in between. The first three quarters of the book dragged a lot and I had a hard time reading them. The book does get better towards the last quarter of the book so I would still recommend reading it. After reading several of Stephen Hunters novels I like the ones with Earl Swagger far better. I have a hard time buying into the Bob Lee Swagger character and to me he seems pho ...more
Bill
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best Bob Lee book, but an enjoyable read.

If you are new to Stephen Hunter, do yourself a favor and read some of his other books (Point of Impact, Hot Springs, etc) first.

If you love all things Swagger, you will enjoy this book.
Ed
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bob Lee Swagger comes to the NASCAR race in Bristol, TN after his daughter nearly dies from her car shoved off the road. Meth superlab, souped up cars, guns galore, and detective sleuthing are rolled up into one gritty story.
Dav
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-2-prime
" ...former Marine sniper Bob Lee Swagger deep into the heart of NASCAR country in this action-packed thriller.
...his daughter’s life is at stake. Forced off the road and into a crash that leaves her in a coma, clinging to life, reporter Nikki Swagger had begun to peel back the onion of a Southern-fried-conspiracy bubbling with all the angst, resentment, and dysfunction that Dixie gangsters can muster... All of it is set against the backdrop of...a weeklong NASCAR event..."

Mostly well written w
Prognomore LAFIANZA
Shorter than some, Bob Lee has fewer resources than usual to face the unthinkable, an attack on his daughter Nikki, now girl reporter in a meth and NASCAR-soaked southern community, in all its closed-group greatness.

"Cám ơn cô em. Cô thật gan dạ và sự can đảm của cô đã cứu sinh mạng chúng tôi. "
Sabrina
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I am a Stephen Hunter fan, however, I don't think I can listen to another Schirner narration...... I also couldn't get into the story on this one much... other than Bob Lee and his family - I didn't care much for the plot or the characters.
William
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just enjoy the character and his adventures. I like the writing and the way the technical gun usesage is explained and not as an info dump. Overall a fun story and a character i want to keep following.
Marco DSouza
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A muzzle-blast of a read

Stephen Hunter's knowledge of weaponry makes for hugely gratifying descriptions of something as fleeting as a 50 caliber round finding its target. A fast-paced and very enjoyable read.
Kevin Middaugh
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good light reading. Lots of action combining Bob Lee Swagger and Nascar.
Luke Walker
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audio version. Enjoyed it! Love the Bob Lee Swagger series.
Joseph
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best Steven Hunter book I've read, not the worst either. Enjoyable read, I still don't get the fascination with NASCAR? Maybe I'd have to go to a race to truly appreciate it.
Michele bookloverforever
Vengeful dad, badly injured daughter, attempted murder. Who did it and why?
Bill Dod
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new adventure in and around the peace world

An out s standing read following the love of a father as he reacted to his daughters accident ... a page turned ... so well done !!!
Joanne
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, really have to listen, they infer things you don't want to miss!
David
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Bob Lee Swagger is one tough fellow. If you saw the film "Shooter" then you know that he is an expert sharpshooter from a long line of action heroes.

Bob's daughter, Nikki, is an investigative reporter. She winds up in an auto accident that is suspicious in nature.. and from there, Bob Lee comes in and starts his own investigation.. slowly uncovering... ????

Okay.. I'll stop there, excpet to remind you that the cover of the book shows a Nascar racing car and that becomes the setting for the book.
Steve Dennie
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Night of Thunder” (2008) takes place in Bristol, Tennessee, just before the big Bristol NASCAR race. Pam and I visited the Bristol track a few years ago on vacation. It’s truly an amazing track, and I could only imagine the excitement around the race. This book brings out that excitement.

Stephen Hunter has written three books starring Earl Lee Swaggard, a WW2 Medal of Honor winner and southern sheriff. He’s a fine creation, as hard as they come, maybe as tough as Jack Reacher. But Hunter’s best
Justinbwood
I really want to rate this 3.5 stars. It's a fun read, but it's tough me to rate a book higher when it definitely has some issues in the writing. It's an enjoyable read. If you're familiar with the movie Shooter, the character is different but you should like the book.

This book has a great setup. Works really well to get you into the story, the setting is perfect, rural, meth-ridden Tennessee as the big NASCAR race approaches. Bob Lee Swagger, the hero, if a bit shallow in characterization at ti
Tony
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Hunter- Night of Thunder (Pocket Star Books 2009) 3.75 Stars

NASCAR is coming to Britsol, but reporter Nikki Swagger is not interested in NASCAR, she is hunting down a lead on a meth lab. She is following up on the lead when she is run off of the road, in an attempt to kill her. She is now in the hospital. Not sure when she will awake from her coma, Bob Lee Swagger is digging into just who may have wanted his daughter dead. He won’t stop until he brings the guilty to justice, even if it m
Peter
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-thriller
For background to Stephen Hunter's books, see my review of "Point of Impact."

Like The 47th Samurai, this #5 in the Bob Lee Swagger series is one of the weakest, though I still found it worthwhile. Bob’s daughter Nikki has become a fledgling reporter for a backwoods Tennessee television station; her current investigation is of the methamphetamine trade in the county. She is forced off of a mountain road and spends a long time in a coma, but survives.

Bob arrives to see her and to get to the bottom
Tim Niland
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
According to my colleague, I'm not allowed to use the term "dicklit" anymore and instead must use the more prosaic "manfiction" to describe the type of book that has big boys with big cars with big engines and big guns with really big explosions. Bob Lee Swagger's daughter is a reporter hot on the trail of a meth ring, when she is forced off the road in a murder attempt and ends up in a coma. Swagger is an ex marine sniper and all-around badass who is not going to take this lying down. So he rol ...more
Christopher Taylor
This is my first Stephen Hunter Bobby Lee Swagger book, and it was enjoyable. The hero by this point is pretty messed up through all his many adventures so I'd like to read an earlier one to see what he was like at first.

The story is of the south during a NASCAR race involving a plot and characters that feels heavily influenced by the TV show Justified, but still holds its own. It is an engaging enough story and written well, although I did find the characters to be too uniformly skillful and c
  • Press Enter
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Paris Is A Bitch (John Rain, #6.5)
  • Nick and the Glimmung
  • The Unveiling
  • Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3)
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • Into the Kill Zone: A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force
  • The Traveler
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It
  • Darkness Falls (Mark Beamon, #5)
Stephen Hunter is the author of fourteen novels, and a chief film critic at The Washington Post, where he won the 2003 Pulitzer Prize. He lives in Baltimore, Maryland.
More about Stephen Hunter...

Bob Lee Swagger (10 books)
  • Point of Impact (Bob Lee Swagger, #1)
  • Black Light (Bob Lee Swagger, #2)
  • Time to Hunt (Bob Lee Swagger, #3)
  • The 47th Samurai (Bob Lee Swagger, #4)
  • I, Sniper (Bob Lee Swagger, #6)
  • Dead Zero (Bob Lee Swagger, #7; Ray Cruz, #1)
  • The Third Bullet (Bob Lee Swagger, #8)
  • Sniper's Honor (Bob Lee Swagger, #9)
  • G-Man (Bob Lee Swagger, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • The Husband
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00
“You know that easy money, stupid people, and hard times have a way of creating misery. Your” 0 likes
“You know that easy money, stupid people, and hard times have a way of creating misery.” 0 likes