Start by marking “Torchwood: The Sin Eaters” as Want to Read:
Torchwood: The Sin Eaters

Torchwood: The Sin Eaters

(Torchwood Audio Exclusives #4)

Alien larvae in a baptismal font mark the beginnings of a terrifying adventure for the "Torchwood" team in this exclusive audio adventure, read by Gareth David-Lloyd. Searching for the source of a bizarre Rift reading, Gwen, Jack and Ianto find a corpse on the beach, his face covered in hundreds of tiny cuts. Watching from the shadows is a man in black...The Reverend Haywa ...more
Audio CD
Published June 18th 2009 by BBC Audiobooks Ltd (first published June 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Torchwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torchwood

Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
God I love this one. Gareth David Lloyd is perfect as the narrator. It wasn't necessarily the storyline that I enjoyed so much (even though it's one of the better ones when it comes to the Torchwood tie-ins) but the dialogues and interactions of the team.
Margo
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A quick, fun listen whilst doing a bit of painting. Very visual story so I'm surprised how well it translated to audio. Very enjoyable. Love Torchwoods black humour and convoluted relationships.
Sani Evans
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite audio books. I loved the creepiness of the book and the fact that there are still matches out there and that cabbie wasn't the only one.
I miss the old team all the time, but Brian manages to show us the strong, loyal friendship between these three lovely characters.
Also I have to say, that Gareth David-Lloyd is a great reader, he imitates other characters voices perfectly, especially Jack's, there were times that I thought it was John Barrowman reading himself.
Long story shor
Jenette
This was enjoyable enough, the addition of Rhys dulls the ache a little from having to experience pre-Children of Earth Torchwood without Owen and Tosh. It had a few things going to it, the least of which was Ianto getting to break in a few new toys. Solid enough plot with enough backdrop of personal lives to give the characters an appropriate amount of depth without making the whole take about them.
Meg
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Audiobooks sometimes leave me wondering about dropped threads, and there are a few here, but it gets lots of stars because of the reading chops of the narrator, Gareth David Lloyd, who was fantastic overall, not to mention the only person I've heard manage a really good John Barrowman voice who wasn't John Barrowman. Also, an excellently creepy premise in true Torchwood style.
Mia Ozera
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm actually really glad that I could find the transcript and read it, too. Even though I loved the way it was read, I tend to get distracted (especially if I do other things in the meantime).
All in all, the book was great. I feel like the author went really in depth with the characters and spoke about things that no one else from the authors/screenwriters bothered with, which was amazing.
Eri
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: torchwood
I can only praise Gareth as narrator.

Even if I don't think I'm gonna turn into audiobook fan, Gareth David-Lloyd did outstanding job reading this. He did really sound like characters whose words he was speaking, and gave it some little extra feeling.

Just, please don't judge me, I fell asleep several times listening to his lovely voice xD
Jolie Bonnette
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-sci-fi
I actually found it amusing that Gareth David-Lloyd's Jack Harkness impersonation actually improves to passable as the narration goes on. :-D This is a classic Torchwood story with equal parts drama and humor. The interactions were perfectly in character and believable. This could easily have been made into a television episode.
Cassandra Tellez
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Honestly, I bought this off Audible because Solas’ voice actor reads this and all I hear is Solas reading. LMFAO WORTH IT.
Gabriel Mero
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gareth David-Lloyd is superb and did a great job narrating this story. His Jack impression was spot-on!
Derelict Space Sheep
42 WORD REVIEW:

This short book comes across very much like a novelised Torchwood episode, with snappy action scenes and characteristic dialogue (well mimicked by Gareth David-Lloyd). The alien threat is built up more than the dénouement might warrant, but this too is in keeping.
Jules Jones
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is one of the series of Torchwood audiobooks read by cast members, and the first to be read by Gareth David-Lloyd. This one is only available as an audiobook, not in print. I bought it because I'd heard a sample of David-Lloyd reading an audiobook, and thought he was a good reader. It was well worth the money. The story's the usual competent tie-in work I've found with previous Torchwood books, and David-Lloyd is an excellent audiobook reader.[return][return]The story itself is set between ...more
Nicholas Whyte
"http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1259234.html[return][return]You won't find this in dead tree format: it is an audiobook read by Gareth David Lloyd, who plays Ianto Jones in the series, and written by the show's script editor/assistant producer.[return][return]To get the obvious out of the way first: it's a monster-of-the-week story, with a resolution that effectively hits the reset button so that the world is not much changed after the events described. But I think it is a very good story of its ...more
osoi
Много-много Йанто, а читает и вовсе Gareth David-Lloyd. У него приятный голос, правильная тональность режимов narrator/character, играть с акцентами ему удается первоклассно, в общем – сплошное удовольствие. Теперь я, как начинающий торчвудский задрот, хочу получить значок «послушал весь каст в аудиоформате» хД

Персонажи достоверно каноничны, но меня успела достать своевольность Йанто в отношениях с Джеком в присутствии Гвен, это его молчаливое, но красноречивое «я тут трахаю босса, ок». Вот уж ч
Snuffles
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
First of all: I never managed to get what's so great about audio books. I tried a few and usually ended up with my mind anywhere but where it should be. Still, I gave this a try because it is read by Gareth David-Lloyd. I love the character he plays on the show and I love the way he talks. On top of that I saw a little clip of him on the internet where he reads a few pages of a book and thought he did that brilliantly. Thus I figured: well, even if I can't follow the story I at least get to list ...more
Leila Anani
My second favourite Torchwood audio again featuring alien insects (Hmmmm I'm definitely spotting a pattern here!) An alien that feeds on negative emotions? comes through the rift and settles in a wreck under the sea. It sends out larvae to feed from the sins of people. A priest gets hold of some and starts a very unconventional flock. Gwen, Ianto, Jack and Rhys (working the case from a different angle when his mate disappears) investigate.

I love the idea of sin eaters in the first place and havi
Alicja
Read entirely by Gareth David-Lloyd, the first time I listened I checked out within five minutes of hearing that wonderful voice of his. His accent is divine and, when I actually paid attention to it, the voices he does for each character are perfect (including Jack's American accent).

The story is interesting and typical Torchwood. Strange things happening in Cardiff and, oh surprise, it's aliens! This story has a bit of a weird religious spin to it but that just makes it more interesting. I do
Cindy
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This story’s plot I found quite intriguing, linking alien larvae to religious fervor, leading to terrifying results. The plot I wouldn’t say is exceptionally strong, although it held my attention; the ending is meh.

What really made this story was GDL’s reading, namely his spectacular performance as the narrator -- he managed to capture all the characters’ voices and personalities exceptionally well and make the entertaining moments even more entertaining. Minchin’s familiarity with the characte
Lizabeth Tucker
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read by Gareth David-Lloyd, Ianto Jones on Torchwood, this is a strange and very Torchwood style story. Reverend Hayward wants to revive his aged church's congregation, but his method of helping relieve their sins leads to death for the sinner. Jack, Ianto, Gwen, and Rhys must try and find out what is going on and how to stop the deaths.

Gareth is fantastic, so much so that I'm planning on getting some other audio books that he is the reader for. His Captain Jack Harkness voice actually sounds li
Mikael Kuoppala
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Aliens who feed on certain emotions and invoke them in their victims. A pulpy sci-fi cliché to gradually equal bug-eyed monsters and killer robots, but sometimes a good tool for meaningful storytelling.

"The Sin Eaters" sees the Torchwood team take on a church invested with guilt-eating organisms. In this particular version of Christianity a confession takes away the emotional consequences of your sins. But it also leaves you dead.

Minchin does a decent job in writing his tale, the subtle commenta
Sarah Tollok
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
It played like an episode of the show, which was all I was looking for really. I liked the portion of the plot about sin and guilt and how they showed some of the characters affected by their run in with it. The minor characters were well developed. But mostly I listened because the narrator, Gareth David-Lloyd, who played Ianto Jones in the show itself, has an amazing voice. He was a genuinely good voice for the book too because he had all the known characters' accents and little vocal rhythms ...more
Measi
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
This audiobook started out interesting, but the ending happens way too fast at the end and left a "oh, well... moving on then..." annoyance in my mouth. Two hours of setup with seven minutes of resolution. Positives - I enjoyed how GDL reads, particularly his imitation of JB. I thought the setup was a good one - nice and creepy. It just didn't resolve cleanly. Or perhaps too cleanly.
Writerlibrarian
4 stars because : It's pre Children of Earth, it's Garreth David-Lloyd reading, it's a very classic Torchwood tale of mayhem, invading aliens with a touch of Janto and as a bonus competent Gwen and her side-kick Rhys.

It's everything I like about Torchwood pre Children of Earth. A bit of zaniness, a bit of sci-fi technology (love the modified SUV) and at its heart the team.

Jeneé
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pretty good story. I like these because I can listen to them on my compute to and from work and they are short but still entertaining. And honestly being read to by Gareth David-Lloyd is pretty legit so I might be bias towards this one in particular. Actually would like to collect all of these.
Krista McCracken
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great audio book read by Gareth David-Lloyd. A typical Torchwood story with equal parts humor, adventure, and surprise. The constant focus on Ianto testing out new technology/playing with tech like an excited child became a little repetitive.
A Rae Crownover
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was okay. The story plot was decent, but it read as a bad fanfic of someone hopelessly in love with Ianto Jones. Everybody loved him and everybody wanted to be him. He was practically Mary Sued.
Amanda
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even if this was the worst book ever, which it isn't, I would still give it 5 because of the brilliant way Gareth read it.
Inez
Aug 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Idamus
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I could probably listen to Gareth reading the phone book, but still, good story

(Re-listen)
Daphne
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-audio, quest
Extra star because it was narrated by Ianto. Otherwise, the store wasn't very good.

• Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Torchwood: Dead Line
  • Torchwood: Everyone Says Hello
  • Torchwood: Hidden
  • The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12)
  • Torchwood: The House of the Dead
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Into the Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • Torchwood: Asylum
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)
  • Torchwood: Submission
  • Consequences (Torchwood, #15)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Something in the Water (Torchwood, #4)
  • Torchwood: The Devil and Miss Carew

Torchwood Audio Exclusives (10 books)
  • Torchwood: Hidden