Start by marking “The Lost Tiki Palaces of Detroit” as Want to Read:
The Lost Tiki Palaces of Detroit

The Lost Tiki Palaces of Detroit

In The Lost Tiki Palaces of Detroit Michael Zadoorian follows characters coming to terms with the past and the present in a broken city. Rusty, ornery, and down at the heels, Zadoorian's characters have made the wrong choices, been worn down by bad news, or survived traumatic events, but like the city they live in, they are determined not to let tragedy and rotten luck def ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Wayne State University Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Tiki Palaces of Detroit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Tiki Palaces of Detroit

Nancy Brady
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
2.5 stars actually, this short story collection has diverse stories, all of them set in Detroit. Written in a literary style, some of the stories were clever, some were sad, and some were just bizarre. It is obvious that the author knows the city inside and out as he addresses all sorts of areas of the city and their residents.

Particularly loved the story about the junk man, Modell, though. A man who learns customer service through the possibility of being hated.

Keith Taylor
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first introduction to Michael Zadoorian and his love for Detroit. None of his books since have been a disappointment. I wrote about him and Bonnie Jo Campbell in a very quick defense of regionalism back in 2009:

Margherita Dolcevita
Zadoorian è sulla buona strada per diventare uno tra i miei preferiti (ed è sicuramente la miglior scoperta del 2010).
Anche in questa raccolta di racconti non mi ha deluso. Certo, come tutte le raccolte ci sono alti e bassi, non tutti i racconti si mantengono sullo stesso livello, ma alcuni sono dei veri e propri gioiellini di ottima letteratura, "Discinesia", "Il mondo delle cose", "Ossa e cuori", "Origliare" e "Speleologia" i migliori, assieme ovviamente ai due making of (come li chiama l'auto
Marcia Mcgee
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book of short stories is part of the Made in Michigan Writer's Series, which I had never heard of until I came across this book while looking for another author starting with a Z. I don't often read short stories but I read this one in a day. The stories are unrelated except for the fact that they all take place in Detroit.It amazed me how Zadoorian can write in so many voices. I had to keep checking to make sure this wasn't a collection by different authors. Even if you don't live in Detro ...more
GONZA
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanti racconti, più o meno lunghi a volte incentrati sulle cose, ma molto più spesso sulle persone. Non scrive male Zadoorian, anzi, ma lo stile depressivo non è mai stata la mia passione e siamo comunque lontani da quel grandissimo capolavoro (IMHO) che è "In viaggio contromano" in cui Ella e John diventano e restano a tutt'oggi nel mio immaginario come LA COPPIA PIU' BELLA DEL MONDO.
Zinta
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Made in Michigan Writers Series showcases some of the state’s best new, or not so new, writers. Michael Zadoorian is one of these writers, not so new, with two novels (The Leisure Seeker and Second Hand) already on the shelf. While the country struggles and just begins to show signs of emerging from economic muck, and more often than not, the national finger is pointed at Detroit as the example of the worst anywhere, dying and in parts already dead… Zadoorian rises from those ashes and finds ...more
Martin Maenza
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I preferred the author's novel work to his short story offerings. A few of these ideas folded into later novels, so reading them here seemed like a rehash or a revisit. Others were either too short to be really meaty or just not very engaging to me as a reader.
Kasey Hill
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
some of the stories were redundant because they were from second hand and leisure seeker. I really enjoyed the other stories.
Mary Ann
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Michael Zadoorian shares a collections of his short stories, some as painful as a kitten’s death (To Sleep).
A divorced man living with his parents works as a grip in the film industry and has beers with a woman with Parkinson’s. A World War II veteran tries to return a flag he took off a dead Japanese soldier over fifty years ago. A man loses his mother, but keeps her 60’s keepsakes. Holding onto items like an electric bun warmer,Zadoorian says is a way of not letting go of the people. Our pa
Patty
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readin09
Boy, I enjoyed these stories!

I don't think growing up in Detroit is totally the reason why. Though I was often reminded of places I had been or that I still pass by today. It's more of a kind of a feelilng of having been there. And I think in his stories, Zadoorian even conjures up smells.....like my aunt's house on E. Grand Blvd.

Most readers will find much to connect with or relate to, no matter where they grew up. They will find a character that is just like someone they know. Only Zadoorian
stacy
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book's a sneaker.

My first read-through: I was blown away by a few stories, ho-hummed through a few because of their fatty sentences. Had I stopped there, I'd have given the collection a 3.5 for the difference.

Then I read it again. The slow parts fit more snugly, the racy parts ran faster and harder, and the climaxes and resolutions satisfied in a way that that awesome sex does: erases your mind for a while, then rebuilds it with all kinds of possibilities.

Zadoorian's an author with a unique
Ellice
Aug 23, 2011 rated it liked it
These short stories sneak up on you. There were some I liked better than others, and some I wasn't sure I liked at all. But by the time I finished the book, all the stories really came together into one seamless collection. The characters in them are neither normal nor oddball--instead, they're normal people with a good dose of oddball thrown in, as most "normal" people have. And the flavor of metropolitan Detroit is strong throughout--not just with liberal sprinklings of city, street, business, ...more
Sean Kottke
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This collection of short stories gets better as it goes, with a final set of stories that is simply astonishing. The local color ramps up as the collection goes on, with the final section really capturing the feel of "new" Detroit as it attempts to slough off the detritus of industrial decline without losing hold of what wonders of its past it can recapture or reconstruct. "The Noise of the Heart" is an uncomfortably brilliant portrait of (well-founded) jealousy. Been there, brother ...
Chris Lindsay
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this for the March selection of the Michigan Beer & Book Club. I'm a fan of short stories with interesting characters and in most cases, this book had them. I especially liked "The World of Things", "The Problem with Modell", and "Spelunkers." There were a couple of short stories that didn't grab or keep me, but I didn't hate them. This is the type of book that you can pick up and enjoy a quick read when you have a convenient moment (aka "good bathroom reading material").
Genevieve
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I picked this up because I thought it was a book of short stories about Detroit. This is a book of short stories about Detroit, but all the characters are pretty crazy and the stories do not flow. It's supposed to be separated by the different areas of the city, but apparently I don't know the city as well as I thought.
Barb
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michigan-writers
These stories are models of authenticity, in terms of the feel of the city and the emotional lives of its denizens. I'm sending a copy to my friend who grew up in Detroit, and will reread it soon myself.
Alessandro Margheriti
Una raccolta di racconti "metropolitani", un po' album dei ricordi e un po' mappa geografica degli USA. Manca però decisamente la brillantezza di "In viaggio contromano" e un pizzico di originalità in più non avrebbe guastato. Senza infamia né lode.
Sean Eddy
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good collection of short stories, with the exception being the first story. Skip it and enjoy the rest.
Barb
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Quirky, sometimes whimsical, sometimes just kind of weird, short stories by a local Detroit author.
Melanie  Hilliard
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Awesome slice of life selection of short stories. Want to know what it's like to live in Michigan - this is it.
Kimberly
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: short story fiction fans
Excellent book of short stories revolving around Detroit! It gives new meaning to "one man's junk is another man's treasure." To some Detroit is junk, and to other it's treasure!
Siszurpicki
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating views of Detroit, 'now' and 'then'. These short stories are so right. Must read for anyone with memory or current interest in the city.
Wayne
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow, great collection of stories about an area and people I know all too well. Hope to read more from the author.
Julie Hall
Mar 24, 2012
Marcello Marogna
Nov 15, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michael Zadoorian is the author of four works of fiction. His second novel, The Leisure Seeker was recently made into a feature film starring Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland, released by Sony Pictures Classics.

His newest novel is Beautiful Music (Akashic). Set in 1970’s era Detroit, Beautiful Music is about one young man’s transformation through music. Danny Yzemski is a husky, pop radio–lovin