Start by marking “Jekel Loves Hyde” as Want to Read:
Jekel Loves Hyde

Jekel Loves Hyde

Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents’ rules – especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father’s office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde,
Published May 3rd 2010 by Harcourt Children's Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Jekel Loves Hyde, please sign up.

Tatiana
May 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who will read and like anything
Recommended to Tatiana by: sweet memories of Lucius Vladescu
I have to agree with my matey Heather's review of "Jekel Loves Hyde." If you expect this book to be akin to "Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side" in entertainment value, you are up for a huge disappointment. While "Jessica..." had some weak points plot-wise, they were overshadowed by Lucius' snarky personality, humor and some hot vampire biting. "Jekel Loves Hyde" is pretty much a depressing disaster and nothing like Fanteskey's amusing debut.

As you probably know, this book is inspired by
Heather
Sep 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010
Perhaps I would have enjoyed this story more had I liked the work this book was based upon, “Dr. Jekel and Mr. Hyde". But alas, I thought it was boring, and as such, passed the same judgment upon this book. The characters of both Jill and Tristan are mind-numbingly lackluster. Jill dresses and acts as though she is a long lost cast member of “Little House on the Prairie” and Tristan attempts and fails terribly at being enticing. *Note to the author* Your leading men have to be one of three thing ...more
Kathy
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I'd read some mixed reviews on Jekel Loves Hyde but I'd really enjoyed Beth Fantaskey's book Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side so I decided I'd give this one a try.

Jekel Loves Hyde was very different from Jessica Rules. If you are looking for more of the snarky, arrogant, irresistible Lucius found in Jessica Rules you'll be disappointed. Tristen is a completely different type of guy. If you don't expect him to be like Lucius and give him a chance you'll probably end up pleased with him.
Michelle Rebar
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
JEKEL LOVES HYDE is a stunning, dark, dangerous and sinfully romantic tale of good girl meets bad boy becomes bad girl to save bad boy. Intrigued? You should be. Those who are fans of Beth Fantaskey's writing (JESSICA'S GUIDE TO DATING ON THE DARK SIDE) will simply devour her newest book.

Jill Jekel is a good girl, always has been. She follows the rules and works hard to be the best. Unfortunately, all the hard work in the world couldn't stop her life from falling apart. Tragedy struck her fami
Kayla
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so good. The whole story was twisted and exciting and I really enjoyed my time with this book.
AH
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book because I enjoyed Beth Fantaskey’s Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side. I was expecting another character like Lucius and perhaps yet another "Ode to a Lentil." Alas, this was not the case.

Jekyl Loves Hide has a very cute premise. Jill Jekyl and Tristen Hyde are descendants of THE Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Jill’s father has recently died under mysterious circumstances. Jill and her mother are struggling for money when it is discovered that Jill’s father stole her colle
Cyndi
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Dang it! I really wanted to like this book. But the heroine went back and forth between love and hate so often she made me nuts. Her friends were all terrible and for a ‘smart girl trope’ she kept doing stupid stuff.
~Tina~
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Jekel Loves Hyde was a cool twist to the classic novel Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. I liked the storyline and thought it was unique and interesting, however, while I adored Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, I think this one lost a little spark in comparison. It's not exactly flat, but I couldn't connect with the characters and didn't like how Jill and Tristen (more so Tristen) felt to formal for there role, at one point I almost thought I was hearing Lucius (Jessica's Guide) while readin ...more
Angela
Jul 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
I don't know if there's ever been a flatter character in YA lit than Jill Jekel. Fantaskey takes the good girl trope to its very limits, and keeps pushing. It would be one thing if she was set up as being absurdly good in order to really contrast with slipping into her "bad" side, but we only see her embrace her bad side twice, despite the emphasis the jacket copy puts on that particular story element.

Most of the characters felt just as flat as Jill. The two other girl characters, best friend Be
kari
May 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2010
Tabitha Olson
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time writing this review, but not because I was conflicted in how I felt about it. I really enjoyed this story, but I had the hardest time trying to figure out why.

First off, I want to say that I haven’t read Fantaskey’s first book, Jessica’s Guide To Dating on the Dark Side. It seems like many who liked that book didn’t like this one. Perhaps the two are too different from each other, and there was a certain set of expectations that weren’t met. But I’m just guessing. :)

I read Dr.
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
You can read this review and more on my blog:
I like the idea of a Jekel and Hyde retelling. I have never read the original story, but I am familiar enough with it, and I thought the plot was a fantastic idea. Tristan Hyde and Jill Jekel are distant descendants of the infamous Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. They both have an interest in chemistry like their ancestors, and Tristan has another dangerous similarity to Mr. Hyde. When he gets excited, he just might turn into a murderous monster.

Jill a
 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult Readers of Romantic Fiction
Recommended to Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews by: B4R Read and Review Club
My Book Boyfriend: Tristen!!! I really really liked him. He is so hot!!! He did not want to hurt anyone not even Jill and the way Tristen fought for good when his granddad and dad were bad makes him perfect.

Most Like Me or who I want to be: Jill because the way she fought to find her dads murder when everyone gave up. And the way she fought for Tristen. She is strong in some way and weak in others. Just like me.

Want More? Yes! But I don’t think there will be more.
Recommend: Yes! Grades 5 and up.
Tiffany
Mar 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Love, lust and… Chemistry?

We start this book meeting Jill Jekel at her fathers funeral. Her father was a scientist and he was murdered one night. She’s standing at his grave, everyone saying something to her, when Tristen Hyde comes up to her and tells her its going to get easier. She doesn’t understand why he’s there but leaves it alone.

Jill starts senior year, and in science class Tristen shows up, commanding in nature, showing up late and not even caring. After class Jill, Tristen and a class
Jennifer Rinehart
Apr 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this book.

I know, I know, how can a person write a review for a book they didn't finish?

I tried to finish it.

I got the book and sat down with a cup of coffee and a bowl of pretzels, and then nothing. No zing, no falling into the book and hours later realizing that you've been sitting in the same spot for hours, the sky outside is dark, the room's grown cold and you are squinting at the words on the page because the lights are off and you're just now waking up to reality.

For me ea
Angela
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
A description:
Jill Jekel is painfully shy. Her whole life she has avoided the spot light, preferring her books and her art work to hanging out with others.
But when her father is murdered she is desperate to connect with someone. Desperate to feel loved, safe, protected... desperate to stop being plain ole perfect and boring Jill Jekel. She finds her salvation in Tristen Hyde. Yet, he's harboring a deadly secret. One that might destroy her instead...

My rambling thoughts:
I liked this book a lot. I
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
Dark. Dangerous. Suspense.

if there is a dark magic is there a dark chemistry? haha
So this book is inspired by Stevenson's "Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." And Jill Jekel and Tristen Hyde are descendants from Stevenson's fictional characters.

I was kind of rethinking if I will give this 4 or 3.5, i don't know! it just kinda give me an headache. The thoughts of the character really is frustrating and they keep on drinking the formula and on and on, and kind of slow read but it had a very
Anne
Jan 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Overall, it was a good book. It kept me interested enough to finish it in one day. Or maybe I just needed to return it to the library. Nah. It was good. The ending kinda had me scratching my head, though. I wish there had been a little more explanation as to what exactly had happened. Don't get me wrong, the book doesn't leave you hanging, it just didn't clarify everything enough for me.
Lexie
Apr 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Having recently read Jessica's Guide, as in a few days ago, I was excited to read this new book from Fantaskey. Admittedly I'm never a fan of the original work (though I did enjoy the BBC adaptation 'Jekyl' with James Nesbitt from a few years ago), but the idea has always appealed to me. Unfortunately after finishing this book I felt...confused more than anything else.

What I liked was that despite the characters seeming like cliches (nerdy girl, violent loner, popular best friend and witchy arch
Kathy Coleman
Sep 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
My Rating: <3
Disappointed

Free books. Gotta love 'em. They are a great chance to try something out that you might not have grabbed if you'd known you were paying full price. That's how I ended up with my copy of Jekel Loves Hyde.

I noticed the book when I was researching Jekyll and Hyde because I was trying to find a way to explain Kesyl's situation in Moon Dance. The idea behind this book immediately grabbed my attention. As such, when I had an opportunity to grab a freebie at Chapters last w
Emma
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
CLASSICS CARNIVAL - REVIEW BY HANNAH OF MY BOOK JOURNEY

To be honest I haven’t read the original story that Jekel Loves Hyde was based on. And I didn't actually know much about Robert Louis Stevenson's 1886 novella, ‘Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde’, apart from the fact that the story revolved around Dr Jekyll and his alter ego Mr Hyde, the latter of which causes mayhem in Victorian London. Despite how little I knew, this didn’t stop me understanding and enjoying Fantaskey’s modern continua
Angel
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey was, dare I say… amazing?
I’ve been a fan of Beth Fantaskey since I read Jessica’s Guild to Dating on the Dark Side sometime last year. It was such a fun, fast read, but with a very dark undertone, much the same as this one. I’m starting to learn that to be her writing style, and I love it!

Jekel Loves Hyde was dark without being gory, mysterious without being secretive and all together alluring.

We first meet our heroine, Jill Jekel, after the death of her fathe
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it
(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
17-year-old Jill Jekel is a quiet girl who wants nothing more than to get on with her school work, and go off to college. However, her father wasrecently murdered and now it turns out that he also spent her college fund.

Tristen Hyde is a boy with a secret. A beast dwells inside him that makes him dream of murdering an innocent girl, and he worries that soon the beast will become too strong for him to control, and he really will kill.

When
Tara
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This review can originally be found on my blog Hey, Tara.

Since reading Jessica’s Guide and Jessica Rules… I’ve become quite a fan of Beth Fantaskey, though I have to admit I wasn’t too sure about the premise of this one. I could forsee a very goody-goody character, and a very violent pushy character, and yeah, the whole mental scenario just wasn’t working so well for me. I was also worried given how I loved the classic novel this was based on, and basically didn’t want to ruin it for myself.

Th
Faye
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was a very different story from the others I have read. It was dark, very dark and twisted that it took some time for me to appreciate the story. It was about the story of two people, so different from each other but was drawn by a story that connected their life together, inseparably. Jill, the shy, timid girl was mourning her father’s death when the most popular and notorious boy, Tristen, went to her side to comfort her and since that faithful day, everything has changed in their lives. Ji ...more
Midnight
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
First, I chose this book because it was on the suzanneb subscription that sends a chapter a day for teen books. I like the segment I read and was intrigue to the story idea, so I purchased the book.

Who should read this book? Well, anyone who enjoys characters who a struggling to find themselves will enjoy this story. Jill and Tristan are both strong characters but harbor secrets. Jill's secret concerns her father's murder and a box he kept locked up in his study. Tristan's secret ties into his f
Jessica
*This review can also be seen on http://www.cheshirecatbookreviews.blo...

Jill Jekel loves Tristan Hyde. Are they each others alter ego's? Like The Strange Case of Dr.Jekell and Mr.Hyde? Well you will just have to enter the Chemistry Lab and find out.... MWHAHAHA

This book was fun. Fun is really the one of the only words that can describe how I felt about Jekel Loves Hyde. It was fast moving and exciting. At times I did feel like it was moving a little to fast for real life. The characters started
Natshane
Dec 06, 2010 rated it liked it
keeks
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: crazy, murderous psychopaths
Recommended to keeks by: robert louis stevenson's teenage daughter
nostalgia is a dirty liar:

1) i remember forcing this book on so many of my middle-school friends because i was convinced everyone would be as obsessed with it as i was. let me take this moment to issue an apology to those friends friends. i can now admit that this book wasn't as good as i thought it was.

don't get me wrong, though, 13 year-old me may have had such basic tastes in books but 20 year-old me didn't mind giving this a reread. this story might not be one of my favorites but there's jus
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I really enjoyed reading the book and I loved the modern spin the Beth Fantaskey gave Jekel and Hyde. It was dark, twisty and has a good love story mixed into it. I like that for most of the book, I was caught up in the story of Jill and Tristen that I felt I couldn't read the pages fast enough to see what happens next.

Both Jill and Tristen are drawn together, and each of them harbors a dark secret that can both destroy them and each other. What both of them also have, is the cure to help each
Around the Year i...: Jekel Loves Hyde, by Beth Fantaskey 2 16 Mar 12, 2016 03:47PM
Crazy for Young A...: Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey → Start Date: August 18th, 2015 11 12 Sep 17, 2015 03:35PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 19, 2015 04:27PM
Interesting Ending 6 38 Mar 07, 2013 04:09AM

• The Clearing
  • Kill the Possum
  • Apartment 255
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Undead Much (Megan Berry, #2)
  • Anxious Hearts
  • Everlasting (Everlasting, #1)
  • Bleeding Violet
  • Reign Check (Demon Princess #2)
  • Forget-Her-Nots
  • Where I Found You (Sea, #1)
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)
  • Kiss in the Dark (Scarlett Wakefield, #3)
  • Grace
  • Halo
  • The Mark (The Mark, #1)
  • Invisible Things
  • Sleepless
Hi! I'm Beth Fantaskey, author of Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, Jessica Rules the Dark Side, Jekel Loves Hyde, Buzz Kill and my new middle grade novel, Isabel Feeney, Star Reporter. I live in rural Pennsylvania - the setting for most of my books - with my husband, three children, a slightly dysfunctional cat, a completely dysfunctional dog, an immortal goldfish and a hermit crab nam ...more
“I knew that most people would consider us too young to talk about lifelong commitments or marriage, but I couldn’t imagine taking her to bed without that promise. Even if it meant never being with her, I didn’t want to have one desperate, hurried, hidden night. I wanted to put a ring on her finger. I wanted a future—or nothing. I knew, in her heart, that she would want that, too” 34 likes
“On the stage Tristen bent over the piano, his fingers swift and sure, his blond hair gleaming under the spotlight. I glanced around at the audience, watching their faces, gratified that they were as captivated as I was by the dark, thunderous song that Tristen conjured.” 18 likes