Start by marking “(Re)cycler (Cycler, #2)” as Want to Read:
(Re)cycler (Cycler, #2)

(Re)cycler (Cycler #2)

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  272 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
How do you grow up, if who you are keeps changing?

Jill McTeague is not your average high school graduate, she’s a scientific anomaly. Every month for four days she turns into Jack, a guy—complete with all the parts. Now everyone in her hometown knows that something very weird is up with her. So what’s a girl (and a guy) to do? Get the heck out of town, that’s what! With he
Published August 25th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about (Re)cycler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about (Re)cycler

Ben Babcock
Somebody told me you had a boyfriend
Who looked like a girlfriend
That I had in February of last year

That’s not from (Re)cycler; that’s a Killers quotation. But it’s apt for the plot of this book: Jill, who for four days of the month is Jack, moves to New York. As she tries to get used to independence and figure out who she wants to be, shenangians ensue. Soon tensions run high as Jack and Jill make mistakes, push their boundaries, and generally screw up over and over. Because that’s what young ad
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
In this sequel to Cycler, readers are reintroduced to Jill and Jack. Having just finished high school with a major trauma at the prom, Jill is finally getting a better handle on the fact that she shares her body with Jack. Once a month, for four days, her body morphs into a male and his personality comes to the fore. Up until now, her parents arranged for him to be locked in her room so no one would know about the situation.

Jack slowly learned how to get out into the real world. While she can't
Nov 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
McLaughlin outdoes herself with this sequel to the provocative Cycler. In Cyclerwe were introduced to Jill, a teenage girl who fully tranforms into a teenage boy once a month, like it or not, with complicated consequences. Both Jill and her family had long attempted everything in their power to mightily suppress (or at least contain) her "Jack" incarnation but the fed-up Jack decides to angle for a life of his own, consequences be damned. In ReCycler, he finally gets a chance at living a life of ...more
Jul 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, novel
This was sad. Cycler was a briliant, creative YA novel, rife with possibilities for exploring our concepts of gender, sexuality and reality itself. I was so excited for the sequel. But somehow these authors and editors have turned radical brilliance into a cheap sex-in-the-city knock off where the characters are sold short in order to tell a bland overdone hot mess of a story about dating. This is every other YA/Chick Lit book about dating in the big city. Gone are Jack's wonder and rage, Jill's ...more
Erinn Batykefer
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is my review for Cycler, which I'm including here because I see Cycler and Re-Cycler as fundamentally one story. Read on:

Cycler (Cycler, #1)Cycler by Lauren McLaughlin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Cycler can’t be read alone. You have to read it with the follow-up, Re-cycler; in my opinion they are one book, and if you only read one, you might leave with a bad taste in your mouth. More on this in a moment; first a brief synopsis:

Since she was 14, Jill spends 4 days every month as Jack. Yep, every month she undergoes
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for

The characters from CYCLER are back in (RE)CYCLER for a sequel. If you're like me, I was confused at first when I kept seeing (RE)CYCLER listed as a future release. The synopsis kept repeating the same blurb that was the CYCLER synopsis. But I finally stumbled across the book at the book store and realized that this was indeed the continuation of the story of Jill and Jack.

The total humiliation that was the prom has passed and Jill has graduated from high s
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: High School
Gender-bending lit and the coming-of-age story coalesce in (re)cycler and its prequel, cycler. For 24 days of every month, Jill McTeague lives a normal teen life, at least as normal as it can be when the other four days of every month, she becomes her male counterpart, a guy named Jack McTeague. In (re)cycler, Jill moves to NYC with her best friend, who also happens to be Jack’s girlfriend, Ramie. The problem is that Jill’s boyfriend, Tommy, gets left out of the picture and she’s not sure how sh ...more
Aug 04, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the sequel to Cycler, in which a girl (18 in this book) turns into a boy once a month. Her bizarre, not-entirely-sane coping strategy was to entirely separate herself from this guy form, so she's developed two distinct personalities. Jill and Jack.

Now living with her roommate (and Jack's girlfriend) in New York City, she's like.. learning how to be an adult and figuring out her life and junk.

By the end of it, I liked Jack better. Though Jill hadn't improved any in my eyes.

But there still
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is deeply satisfying. While the first book, Cycler, introduced the characters and got them going on their adventure, this book really lets them shine. It was really wonderful and necessary to see Jack and Ramie's relationship play out, and in this book you finally get to see Jill move beyond being judgmental and stuck in her own head, and Jack get to finally become his own person.

In a lot of ways, this book is a very universal coming-of-age story. It just has some unusually, gender-swa
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Jill and Jack McTeague aren't your typical brother and sister. They share the same body. For a few days a month, Jill morphs into Jack and his anatomically correct body. She used to be able to tell when Jack would show up because her cycle was regular. These days, he keeps coming early.

Jill kept Jack a secret all through high school because her mother locked him in her room during his cycle. Her secret (and Jack) come out at her senior prom. Now that she's graduated, it's easy to understand why
Elle Beauregard
Jun 25, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a disappointing follow up to Cycler. Satisfying in a few ways (for example, I have a right little crush on Jack, now) but otherwise flat and a little pointless.

By the end of Cycler, I was primed and ready to explore all of the awesome conflicts that McLaughlin had so perfectly set us up for. She had not shied away from grit in the first, and I didn't expect her to in the second.

But instead of exploring all of these whinding paths, she took us on a journey of a boy-obsessed girl who is
duck reads
Jan 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
Okay, so the first thing I should mention is that this is apparently a sequel, and I have not read the previous novel. The protagonists are Jack and Jill: cisgirl Jill tries to live her life, but a few days a month she transforms into Jack, her cismale counterpart. The first book seems to have detailed their exploits in high school, culminating in prom night shananigans, while this offering tells the story of their first year after high school graduation, living in New York with Jill's best frie ...more
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Emilia
Recommended to Lychiis by: no one
I choose 4 stars instead of 5 because of the ending... The ending I thought is that Jack and Ramie get back together.... Guess I was wrong, instead... I'm not telling cuz I don't want to spoil it to my friends (even tho i already did XD) Anyways, The characters are awesome, in the end, Jack considers Tommy Knutson a friend, a really good one too!! LOL

Jack has changed from being a "prisoner" to being a MAN!! A responsible MAN. Thanks to his dad (and Jill's dad) Jack and Jill solve their problems
Dec 31, 2009 rated it liked it
The three stars are for the funny story.
Well, half of it.
When you read a story about two people, you're bound to like one person better than the other. But I found Jill so annoying...her stupid pretentions (she tries to be a vamp, she thinks she's a hipster because she lives in Brooklyn, that awful and terrible slang she uses...) and her immaturity mostly, but considering that you can't make it for two paragraphs without that, it's not worth it to read that.
Jack, however, is a real and three-dim
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
finished 8/2/12

Following on the heels of Cycler, this book continues the story of the life of Jill (and Jack) who is a cycler - someone who changes sex for 4 days every month. High school is over and there's nothing both Jack and Jill want more than to get out of their small town. They can choose to go with Jill's boyfriend on a cross country road trip or with Jack's girlfriend (and Jill's best friend) to New York. Jill makes the decision to go to New York, where both she and Jack learn a lot ab
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Boring, terrible book. Almost as bad as its predecessor, possibly worst. I can't believe I wasted 40 minutes of my life reading such a boring, redundant, and stupid book.

Okay I apologize for such a harsh review. The book's writing wasn't bad, it's just the story was not very strong. I didn't develop any feeling about any of the characters. The book didn't make me want to care about Jack or Jill. The characters didn't show any interesting developments that made me want to carry on reading the bo
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think it was as good as the first one. I reached one point in the book and started to wonder why I was still reading. There wasn't anything that was drawing me in. I mean, Jack and Ramie were pretty much over and all there really was was Jill and Ian and Jill and Tommy but both of those relationships seemed to be going nowhere ... Basically, I finished the book because I hate to start a book and not finish it.

If you read the first one and are interested in reading this one, personally,
Shonele Piersey
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recycler is about a girl/guy who tries to find herself/himself in the big Apple. It's a gut wrenching secret she's tried to hide for a long time and now that they are both free from confinement, they have two different ideas of making that first step in a new direction. I found that this book is a coming-of-age novel about a girl (and a guy) who both want to make a mark of themselves and try to find ways to do so. They are two complete personalities, and that can clash a bit, but they are still ...more
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Cycler, McLaughlin introduces us to 17-year old Jill, a girl who once a month becomes Jack for several days instead of having to deal with the issues of menstration that most girls go through.

In (Re)Cycler, Jill has turned 18, graduated from High School, and moved to New York City with her best friend Ramie, who also happens to be Jack's first girlfriend. What happens to a girl who isn't always a girl in the big city? Can Jack keep Ramie happy when he's only available a few days a month? And
Jul 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abby by: this first in the series
I love the concepts of these books, a person is sometimes a male and sometimes a female, cycling through the month. I LOVED the first one. So well done. This one was great cause I got to know the next part of the story, but it was not as amazing as the first. A lot more about sex than the changing issue and with a lot more "teen slang" that I found distracting this time around. I still reccomend the series and will be excited to see where book 3 takes us...
Tara Spears
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this in a back alley thrift store and picked it up. The story, although captivating on idea, left me less than satisfied at the end. I found myself disliking Jack halfway through the book. He redeems himself in the end, but it is almost to little to late. I applaud the author for an unusual story line, however, and would recommend this to anyone looking for something different in a sea of similarity.
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
The worst part of this book was the ending. Not because I liked it so much; because the ending just sucked. I wanted to see if Tommy and Jill resolved their issues, but no...what the reader got was a cliffhanger ending. I cannot express my hatred for cliffhanger endings with mere words.

The book's one saving grace? Jack. He is the only three-dimensional character in it.
Sep 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gender-identity
I liked this book better than the first one. Cycler was simply a holding pattern for the characters. (Re)cycler allowed them to develop far deeper. While the ending was a bit too perfect and easy, I really enjoyed watching the characters develop into something new and seeing Jack and Jill develop a new understanding for and appreciation of each other.
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, quick read. It's a realistic world except for the fact that the main character turns from a girl into a boy for around 5 days each month. If you liked the first book, then you'll probably like this sequel. I am tempted to label it part of the "Young Adult" genre except that it's kind of racy in bits (I was a little embarrassed to be reading it on the train sometimes).
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nyc
The concept continues to be hard to suspend disbelief for. However I read the second one for the same reason I read the first- these are such great characters and I care about them all. Sure, they are teenagers, they don't have great reasoning skills. They will grow up, have better control of their emotions, make better decisions. I guess that means I want to read more.
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great sequel to the 1st book. The ending was horrible, though. I also think that Jill is a thick prude that needs to learn how to get over it. She should get the whole romance idea out of her head because most of the time it doesn't really happen a lot. I also think Ramie is a bit on the self centered side and egotistical. Other than that I have no problems with the book.
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Love this series. Great that now they are over 18- let the smexxors roll! But I am so worried that somethiing reallly bad will happen to the character. I own this book, so one day, whenever, I will complete it.
Jack/Jill are the same person. I would be so incredibly creeped out if my body turned into a dude's body for 4 days every month. And pissed when that dude sabotaged my life, leaving me the mess to clean up when the body returned to being a female again. GRRRR.
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
Much better than the first one, possibly because it was told from Jack's point of view more often and he somehow adds life to the story, with a surprising message at the end that actually made sense to me.
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first, but still really good. A lot more things are explained and talked about that they didn't cover in the first. It was nice seeing Jack and Jill grow up a little and grow more into their own personalities. The book had a nice ending but definitely left it open for more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Girl from Mars
  • Chester 5000 XYV
  • Bombay Blues (Born Confused #2)
  • My Tiki Girl
  • My Father's Scar
  • Portland Queer: Tales of the Rose City
  • Saving Maddie
  • Carter's Big Break (Carter Finally Gets It, #2)
  • The Carbon Diaries 2017 (Carbon Diaries, #2)
  • One Nation Under Sex: How the Private Lives of Presidents, First Ladies and Their Lovers Changed the Course of American History
  • Bad Girls
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Spy: An Original Jane Bond Parody
  • Going Nowhere Faster
  • The Mirror of Love
  • Boy Girl Boy
  • Women in the Shadows
  • The Building
  • Diamond Star (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #13)
I grew up in the small town of Wenham, Massachusetts. After college and a brief flirtation with anthropology I spent ten years in the film business as both a screenwriter (Hypercube, Prisoner of Love, Specimen) and producer (American Psycho, Buffalo '66, Vig, Stag, and others) before turning my attention to novels. I am the author of the teen novels, The Free, Cycler, (Re)Cycler, and Scored, as we ...more
More about Lauren McLaughlin...

Cycler (2 books)
  • Cycler (Cycler, #1)

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Switch to a field I didn't care much about. It's so easy to do. But then all those mistakes add up, and you find yourself on a precipice, staring into a future you don't even want.” 2 likes