Start by marking “The Middle-Child Blues” as Want to Read:
The Middle-Child Blues

The Middle-Child Blues

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
A clever, bluesy riff on middle-kid angst Lee has the low-down, big-frown, sulkin?-all-aroundtown blues. His older brother gets all the big-kid privileges, and no one expects his little sister to do anything but be cute. And sometimes his family even leaves him behind! But when Lee breaks out his guitar and finally makes his voice be heard, he draws a big crowd. It turns o ...more
Published October 29th 2009 by Putnam Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Middle-Child Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Middle-Child Blues

Dodie
Nov 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Crow and Catrow nail it with the story of Lee, who has "the low-down big-frown sulkin'-all-around-town blues" because as the middle child, he is always too big or too small or too young or too old to do what his big brother and little sister get to do! After recounting all the challenges of being in the middle, from kid's meals to kiddie park rules, Lee gets out his guitar and belts out a rocking rendition of "the middle-child-blues!" - oh yeah ...
((( Silver O. Smith - "What's the secret to good comedy? Timing. And what's courage? Grace under pressure. And who's the boss? I'm the boss." )))
Good art and plot. Sad, really, though. I feel bad for every middle child now. :'(
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
My 5yo middle child, listened with interest but exclaimed, "being the middle child is not so bad!"
Cassie
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
To this day I still can hear Jan's whining cry "Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!" bemoaning her woes of being not only Marcia’s younger sister, but also her seemingly invisible position as the middle child of the huge Brady Bunch. She’s not alone. The Brady Bunch housekeeper, Alice, is also a middle child, as are many others throughout the world. You would think that with so many middle children in this world, there would be many picture books based on this topic supporting those wee folks stuck in the m ...more
Miss Ryoko
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Boy did I go through a slew of different feelings while reading this book! It went sort of like this:

*after opening up to the first page* "Oh yeah, the person who illustrated this definitely illustrated I Wanna Iguana for sure!" (which is a book we have in my class that my kids love)

*then* "Its really cute how this is written like a song."

*then* "Aww, this story is actually really sad! The poor boy!" (my experience with middle children is usually the opposite of what is to be expected... with th
Jasmine
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Middle Child Blues Author Kristyn Crow Illustrator David Catrow

This book is about a boy, named Lee, who is stuck in the middle. His litter sister and older brother do not want him around. He it treated unfairly because his sister has no chores to do and his brother can stay up late. Lee has had enough and starts to sing his middle child blues with his guitar. All the attention is on him an along the way he discovers that his parents and other children are stuck in the middle too.

The conten
Shelli
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This morning my daughter and I read three Kristyn Crow books (after reading and loving Zombelina then checking out all we could find else by Ms. Crow at the library) and enjoyed every one of them. Her stories are all told in a smart rhythmic way that makes for a fantastic read-aloud. I hope one day that The Middle-Child Blues is made into a real country/blues song and played on the radio for all to enjoy. Middle-Children far and wide will download the relatable song that is near and dear to thei ...more
Kenia Soto
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: s-e-ecce-2203
The Middle-Child Blues is about a boy who is either too small to do things like his older brother or too big to enjoy the things his little sister have the privilege of doing. Lee explains how the treatment from others make him feel. At the end of the book he finds a way for others to notice him. The S/E content in this book is self-awareness, confidence, and having a feeling of belonging. I would use this book to talk about the people that make up our families. I would explain how some families ...more
Nielson
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
In this jazzy and rhythmic read, Lee has the blues because he is the middle child and is always getting the shaft. It is not until the end when he jams out on his guitar, winning the attention of everyone, that he doesn't feel like he is in the middle anymore. I myself happen to be a middle child so I felt like I could relate to this book in some way, and I think there is definitely some truth to Lee's melodic blues. The illustrations were a little too bug-eyed and different for me, but the text ...more
Elise Xuereb
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feelings
This book shows how Lee was suffering from the middle child blues. It has many colorful illustrations that are very dazzling to the eye. The content of the book teaches children that everyone is different. This book also teaches children that you should embrace your own differences and be the best that you can be. In the end, Lee finds out that his own guitar talent is all the attention he needs.

Genre: Music
Melanie
Lee is the middle child in his family and he's not happy about it. He's too big to play with his little sister's friends and his big brother and his friends don't want him around. His big brother gets to stay up later and his little sister doesn't have any chores. So he get's out his guitar and sings the middle-child blues. All of a sudden he's famous and gets to meet lots of other middle children. And most shocking of all, his parents are middle children and forgot what it was like!
Dolly
Feb 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a cute story; the middle child sings the blues. The illustrations are fun and the narrative is written like song lyrics. Our girls liked the story, but not my artistic interpretation of the song. I think they'd prefer to hear an audio version of this book, with the song sung as the author intended.
Marie
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was fun to read. I am the baby of my family, so I have no idea how it feels to be a middle child. My sister always cried the middle-child blues when were younger and still does from time to time even though we are adults. It was a fun, quick read. The illustrations and colors used were very vibrant and pleasing to my eyes.
Matthew
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Being a middle child, I get the blues it brings out in the main character here, and being a David Catrow fan, I loved the illustrations for their comedic power, but the story seemed trapped between being a blues song and a narrative and never really won me over in either case. I liked the book but I wasn't in love with it. It's still a fun book though.
Karen
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
My husband and I are both middle children, although our six-year-old son is an only child. We thought this book was hilarious, although my son didn't quite get it. Although he did like it when I started to sing Blues on the "refrain".
Ashley
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-306
This book connects with students who are the middle child. Lee feels this older and younger siblings live such a glamorous life. His older brother gets to stay up later and his younger sister gets more attention. However, Lee discovers his own talents, which makes him stand out from his siblings.
Carolyn
Did not like this one as well as author's other books. Still a good book but not as fun as the others. If you have a middle child, no doubt this book will help the middle child know he is not alone.

AR 1.9 - 0.5 pts LG
Marcie
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Marcie by: Woodbury New Books
Shelves: children-s-humor
I can see pairing this with Elizabeth Winthrop's "Squashed in the Middle" for a story time, or even using it with other sibling books. I'm not sure I'd be able to sing it, but I'm sure Scott Bartlett could.
Alice
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am not a middle child but I like this story. Once again the author came to our library today. This book (like her others) have a cool rhythm and rhyme to them. Fun book! It makes me want to make up a tune to sing to the cool beats. Kristyn Crow should really be a lyricist !!
Bunty Jah
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: s-e-ecce-2203
The Middle-Child Blues is a great book for all middle children. It teaches acceptance (love for oneself) and confidence. Nice rhythm book. Did not care much for the illustration but great story line.
Ryan
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
So So So fun. I cannot help but sing the story in my head. And if the story was not enough, my readers know I love David Catrow. His illustrations take a good story and make it great. They take it to the next level and screams READ ME NOW!!! Oh yeah!
#beatthebacklist #hermione #M
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"siblings, middle child, told using blues rhythm"
Tara
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Normally I would rate this a 3 or a 4 but since I have the middle child blues and it hit it right on I had to give it a 5.
Heather
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Love the rhythm of this book (and I'm a middle child, so even better!)
Robin Giacomelli
I really liked this book. Maybe it is because I am a middle child and I can relate to feeling left out. This book actually made me laugh out loud! Every middle child should read this!
Jill
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tl544, life-changes
This lighthearted book tells the hardships of a middle child. This middle child has to cope with the unfair occurances that happen in his life. Great illustrations and great flowing rhythm.
Greta
Aug 11, 2009 rated it liked it
My husband and I are both youngest children and we have two kids, an oldest and a youngest so I don't really understand the middle-child phenomenon, but the book was cute.
Rachel
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Loved the musical connections, and relate to middle child syndrome but wonder if kids will get that part. Illustrations are great.
Tiffany
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a funny read, but true about middle children. I would love to read this book to my smaller students in the future.
Jeffrey
Cute short picture book about what its like to be the middle kid.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kristyn Crow is the author of four children's picture books: COOL DADDY RAT (Putnam), BEDTIME AT THE SWAMP (HarperCollins, THE MIDDLE CHILD BLUES (Putnam, coming soon) and SKELETON CAT (Scholastic, coming soon). COOL DADDY RAT received starred reviews from Publishers Weekly and School Library Journal. She is the mother of seven children, some with special needs, and Kristyn has written hundreds of ...more