Start by marking “Chicken Dance” as Want to Read:
Chicken Dance

Chicken Dance

Meet Marge and Lola, chickens on a mission: to win tickets for the Elvis Poultry Show! But their toughest competition — a pack of menacing ducks — sneers that “all a chicken can do is bawk, flap, and shake.” Can our two feisty chicks show those quackers how to rock ’n’ roll the barnyard?
Tammi Sauer and Dan Santat have whipped up a giddy, goofy romp where cows fly over the
Published August 1st 2009 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Dance

Start your review of Chicken Dance
Hilda
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
“You chicks rocked!” A roster swooped to the stage. “You had me all shook up.”
Elvis Poultry was in the building.

Honestly, I probably had more fun reading this book to my third graders that they had listening to it. I mean, Elvis Poultry!! That’s hilarious. I loved Marge and Lola these two adorable dancing chickens. After trying and failing at so many things like bowling, juggling, tightrope walking and flying. These chicks are out of options. What do they do? They dance of course. And what an
Candice
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes kids' books that appeal to both parents and kids
Shelves: picture-books
At first glance (no, you can't always tell a book by its cover) I thought this would be one of those kids' books that was really written for the parents. The rooster on the cover is obviously the rooster version of Elvis Presley. But the story inside is fun and entertaining for all ages. Marge and Lola, two chickens, want in the worst way to win the barnyard talent show. First prize is tickets to see Elvis Poultry in concert. But what talents do they have? As those cocky ducks tell them, all ...more
Heidi-Marie
It had me at "Elvis Poultry." I liked the humor in the book, as well as the story. I think I'm coming around to being just fine with the illustration style, too. It was probably the humor that is the best. I think the older end of K-5 will get this.

7/1/10 Not too bad for school-age. Some jokes they didn't get. Some they thought a little lame. But I think they enjoyed the story itself, and enthusiastically called out the scores they thought the animals would get. The "talent show" we did in
Kim Zarins
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
There are lots of reasons to love this picture book, but the one I'll share is the judicious way Sauer ties up a loose end with cunning purpose. All the animals at the talent show get a score rating…but we don't know what the cows score for their lunar jump until a key moment presents itself. It's funny and smart how Sauer did that! She could have given the chickens a 10, but she found a way that is much more clever and suits the team spirit she later develops in BAWK & ROLL. Fun story, and ...more
Nariman
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, picture-books
I didn't except to like this book this much , but I enjoyed as much as my son enjoyed it. And we actually gave the same rating
Melanie
The barnyard is having a talent show! Everyone is very excited because the grand prize is tickets to the Elvis Poultry concert!

When the Chickens see the advertisement they immediately begin thinking what they could do for a talent. As they are trying to figure that out the ducks walk by and tell them they don't have a chance because the Ducks always win. The Chickens decide to get on the stage anyway. When they do they choose to just act like chickens. The audience goes wild!

The Chickens don't
Emily Roberts
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Coming from an absolute Elvis fanatic, there are so many ways this book could’ve gone wrong. But Tammi Sauer did not disappoint! There’s just enough Elvis and just enough of a unique storyline. My favorite part, however, is the “Bawkabawk Records” LP listing on the back cover...I lost it at “Are You Ruffled Tonight?” and “Can’t Help Falling in Feed.” This book is definitely going in my collection of books to read to my future children...who will most assuredly be well-versed in all things Elvis ...more
Erin
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
It doesn't pay to make fun of people, as the ducks learn in this story. A talent contest is held to see who will win tickets to see Elvis Poultry live in concert. Two chickens are set on winning, but can't figure out what they should do. The ducks keep telling them to back out as they won each year. The chickens persevere and though they don't win the tickets, they do become backup dancers for the famous Elvis Poultry.

Good for preschool storytimes.
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Marge and Lola chicken just had to win the talent show and win tickets to Elvis Poultry's concert! The problem was that the ducks always won, so Marge and Lola had to find a fabulous chicken talent this year. Fun story, humorous illustrations, satisfying ending.
Miss Sarah
The chickens are throwing a dance party while the farmer is away. What animal will win the dance contest? Preschool and up fro concept about differnt dances. humor is just more grown up
Jennifer Steele
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The humor of this book is great. The ending was not what I was expecting at all. Threw me for a loop for sure. The illustrations were beautiful as well.
Dana
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute story in which the chickens want to win the barnyard talent show so they can get tickets to the Elvis Poultry concert, but the ducks always win. What will the chickens do?
Sara
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kids will appreciate the ridiculous barnyard animal antics, and adults will appreciate the clever phrases woven into the story.
Tracy Morton
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The barn yard critters are all preparing for a talent show. The main thing that I didn't like about this book is that one animal calls another animal loser....mean!
John
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every book has talking animals, so everything needs to be chickens.

P.S. They went to a barn.
Hollie
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-aria
Cute. I thought it was okay. My daughter loved the pictures. She did ask at the end when they were going to dance, since it was kind of glossed over.
Ian McHugh
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun and brilliantly funkily illustrated. Flo and Eadie cheered when Marge and Lola got picked.
Amy Forrester
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Marge and Lola are chickens who adore Elvis Poultry, so when they see a poster for the talent show, grand prize - tickets to Elvis Poultry in concert, they know they have to win. Unfortunately, the ducks always win and they just won’t let anyone forget it. Marge and Lola assess their talents – bowling, flying, swimming, juggling – but they fail at all of them. It’s time for the talent show and Marge and Lola still don’t know what to do! The goats are eating tractors, the pigs are making ...more
Jewel
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sauer and Santat portray memorable characters in an entertaining barnyard production starring Marge and Lola, who hang out together where Elvis Poultry is top bird. The two best friend chicks almost lose their cluck when they read the Barnyard Talent Show poster. The grand prize is two tickets to the final multitalented "doodle doo" of the season. Lola and Marge set out to snag the prize, but first they have to test their talents and score higher than the other animals in the barnyard.

What I
Pop Bop
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Thang yuh, Thang yuh vurry mutch

How can you not like this? Two barnyard chickens have to compete in a talent show with the surfing ducks, who always win, in order to snag tickets to the big Elvis Poultry concert. But what talent can the chicks, Marge and Lola, display? Attempts at bowling, juggling, even flying, are disasters. So they decide to "wing" it.

The text is simple and straightforward. Marge and Lola are very appealing. Santat can really draw a dancing chicken. The dance diagrams on the
Eva Leger
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: julias-books
I saw someone else say that this story had them at "Elvis Poultry" and that is exactly what I was going to say! I haven't read any book - childrens or adults - that has made me laugh like this in quite awhile.
Others have given good enough descriptions so I'll stick to what we thought of the story. Some of the illustrations really just make you laugh right out loud - the chickens face when they're on stage and the duck scares them? Classic. When they're rocking out on the next page? Awesome.
Kellee Moye
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2011/...

Summary: Marge and Lola the chickens want to win the tickets to see Elvis Poultry in concert so bad, but they had to find a way to win the talent contest. The ducks always won, so they had to find something that they did that was better than anything the ducks could do. They tried flying (nope) and swimming (nope) and other fancy tricks, but they couldn't figure out what their talent was. So, the day of the talent show they decided just to
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Chris Go
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I actually read the follow up book first, so now the second book does make a bit more sense, although each stands well on its own.

In this book we meet the chickens, Marge and Lola, and learn that they decide to compete in the annual barn talent show because the prize is tickets for two to see the great Elvis Poultry. There are only two issues: 1)The ducks have always won the talent show, and 2)Marge and Lola have no real talent.

There are some great acts from the various animals. How will Marge
Kacy Sullivan
Chicken Dance, by Tammi Sauer is an entertaining book for all ages. Two chickens, Marge and Lola see a poster advertising a talent show; the grand prize is two tickets to the Elvis Poultry concert. Marge and Lola know they must enter and win because they adore Elvis Poultry. When they see the barnyard competition heat up, they become nervous. The ducks always win first prize! There is a surprise in store this year when the chickens do what chickens do best. Read Chicken Dance to find out if ...more
Luann
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Filled with farmyard puns, Elvis references, and the occasional shout-out to nursery rhymes, this is just hilarious! Marge and Lola could take some lessons from Louise on tightrope walking, but I liked the act they came up with even better. Pair this with any of the farmyard books by Doreen Cronin for hilarious farmyard antics with slightly puzzled farmers. :)
Grace
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Marge and Lola want to enter the Barnyard Talent Show in order to win the chance to see Elvis Poultry on his final tour. They try to find a talent that can show off. Amid taunting from the ducks and special talents from the other animals, Marge and Lola discover that their talent lies in just being themselves. Bright active illustrations and lively text makes this a winner for the early elementary crowd.
Camille Rivera
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Marge and Lola desperately want to win a talent show in order to win tickets to "Elvis Poultry in Concert." Unfortunately, every talent they try out they aren't very good at. The night of the talent show comes and they wing it instead and though they don't win, they get something else. This book is extremely entertaining. The pictures are vibrant and this book is simply unique. I would love to use this book in the classroom as a way to help my students relax and get some dancing in.
Nancy Jo Lambert
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Melanie Olson
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
As a person of Polish descent, I felt drawn to this book. My family has done the Chicken Dance for generations (or as long as it's been around). Not a single wedding, birthday, or family reunion was complete without it. Although this book is not about "The" Chicken Dance, it was lighthearted, humorous, and a fun break from the more intense books I'm usually reading.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Giraffe Problems
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • This Is a Serious Book
  • Grandpa Green
  • A Castle Full of Cats
  • Emeraldalicious
  • Memoirs of a Hamster
  • Thomas and the Snowy Tracks (Thomas & Friends)
  • Life
  • Narwhal's Otter Friend (A Narwhal and Jelly Book, #4)
  • Bob Not Bob!: *to be read as though you have the worst cold ever
  • Let's Have a Dog Party
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Moonday
Tammi Sauer is the author of Cowboy Camp (Sterling, 2005), Chicken Dance (Sterling, 2009), Mostly Monsterly (Paula Wiseman/S&S, 2010), the forthcoming Princess-in-Training (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), and something that's currently Top Secret.

Tammi and her family live in Oklahoma with one dog, two geckos, and a tank full of random fish.