Start by marking “Paul Robeson” as Want to Read:
Paul Robeson

Paul Robeson

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  12 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
An updated and redesigned edition of an award-winning* biography of Paul Robeson, who overcame racial discrimination to become an international entertainer and civil rights activist. Includes a new introduction and afterword by the author, focusing on Robeson's legacy.
Published April 1st 2009 by Lee & Low Books (first published March 30th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Paul Robeson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul Robeson

Elizabeth
There aren't any picturebook biographies of Paul Robeson, but my mom found me this illustrated kid's book biography (written by a Black person, even).

I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of language in this book:

"When William D. Robeson was a boy, he was enslaved. He was not free, and he was forced to work without pay on a plantation in North Carolina. He hated being enslaved."

I feel like I've only heard about the shift from "slave" to "enslaved person" (making slavery not a core characteristi
Lamar Sanders
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Main Characters: Paul Robeson
Point of View: 3rd person
Setting: Various
Plot: This biography covers Paul Robeson's life, sratring with i=his father's escape from slavery. It covers, his religious upbringing, his struggles with racism at Rutgers as he excelled academically and athletically and his career in entertainment and activism afterwards.
Main Ideas: Black History, Biograph
I highly recommend this book. Paul Robeson's story is very inspiring and vital knowledge for all Americans. The book is w
Emily
I like this biography because it is very inspirational and it gave a lot of information on Paul Robeson. My only complaint is that the author should have broken the book up into sections. It was very long and a little overwhelming to sit and read all at once.

Because it's so long and isn't broken up into chapters or sections, I probably wouldn't use this book to read aloud to my students. I would recommend it to students though to help them see that despite unfortunate events that may happen in t
The Sunday Book Review
Greenfield is able to pack a lot of information in this relatively short book. We learn not only about who Paul Robeson was, but also how slavery formed his beliefs. The illustrations by George Ford, which appear to be done in black watercolor, help bring the story to life.

As I read this book I found it inspirational how someone overcame social stigma (the color of his skin) and made something of himself. He didn’t allow anyone tell him that even though slavery was over, he still wasn’t worthy o
Monique
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Paul Robeson led a upstanding life. He worked tirelessly in all he did - football, college, law school, music and theatre. This is a beautiful illustration of his life. More than a picture book...it's a short chapter book with magnificent artwork.
Kristy