Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Tattoos” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Tattoos

The Mammoth Book of Tattoos

This collection covers all styles of tattoos from bold tribal pieces, Chines characters, and hieroglyphs to delicate air-brushed designs. Included are striking images of tattoos ranging from all-over “body suits” to individual motifs.
Published March 10th 2009 by Running Press Adult (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Tattoos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Tattoos

Start your review of The Mammoth Book of Tattoos
Lea
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012, reviews
There's no history or analysis here, just short bios of various artists, along with examples of their art.

Some standouts:

George Bardadim's truly gorgeous black and grey work.

Big Gus' stunning black and grey Native American piece that I believe may be based on "Hiawatha"?

Steve Byrne's beautiful traditional-style tattoos -- beautiful colors here.

Marco Cerretelli and Claudia De Rossi representing Italian artists -- I especially loved De Rossi's traditional style pieces and their rich colors. Saira
Marissa Vasquez
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Tattoos Were Amazing . ILoved This Book !
Lance Greenfield
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent pictures. Awesome!!!!

Not many words to read though!
(and that's an understatement)
S.S.
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recently bought this book because I'm a tattoo lover and own several tattoos myself (with the intention to have even more inked onto me.) I liked the short bios on the different artists (of which there were eighty) and also enjoyed looking at the various photos of different styles of tattoos. This is a book for tattoo lovers and owners. (how many times can I say tattoo in this book review, by the way? XD )

TATTOO.

XD
Chris
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a good book for the tattoo fan and artist alike, a classic 'coffee table' book it is literally cover to cover photographs of some of the most impressive tattooing I have seen ever from top artists around the world. The tattoos are breathtaking, some of them look like paintings they are so good. The book is a bible for any fan of tattooing and is full of inspriational art.

I can only think of two points on which to criticise this book. Some tattoo artwork on human bodies is placed near, or
Dee
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There's not a lot of writing in here, but enough for you to have a nice introduction, anda s small bio about each tattoo artist.

There are some amazing artists in this book, and some absolutely fantastic tattoos. I was glad to see Chris Garver in there as i have loved him ever since first setting eyes on Miami Ink. To be honest, I don't know many famous tattoo artists, so was glad to be able to see some of their artwork and learn a little about them in this book.

I got this on the kindle and it wa
Leigh
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who loves the art of tattoos this book is fantastic BUT if you actually want to be able to open this book fully & read more than once don't bother wasting your money. This book, a long with all of Lal Hardys The Mammoth Book of Tattoos are so poorly made. I can't even open them more than quarter of the way without the cheap plastic spine breaking so not only do you not get to enjoy each page to it's fullest but you risk the pages actually falling out.

5 stars for the tattoo work book q
Mykee  Tan
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This one's a nice reference book regarding some popular tattoo artists. It provides a general idea about their particular styles of tattooing. I wish there were more sample works inside the book though because it really only shows a very vague idea of what each of the artists is capable of doing. Also, a more extensive biography on each artist wouldn't hurt. Oh, and captions. How can you show pictures inside a book without captions???

None the less, I would still recommend this book to any tattoo
Chuckleslovakia
Apr 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
E-book Not readable

I bought the digital version of this book due to all the negative reviews on the terrible binding of the physical copy.
Unfortunately, all the text in the digital version runs over top of each other rendering it impossible to read.
Very dissatisfied, considering the content of this particular book is held in high regard.
Will be attempting to contact the publishers.
Charlotte
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well worth picking up for true lovers of tattoo. I saw Lal Hardy at Brighton tattoo convention with a copy- seventeen and completely starstruck. It's just an exhibition of artists, but there's some truly awesome work in there. Perfect for inspiration and choosing one of the best.
Bradley
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: year-2011
I truly believe that tattoos are an art form so I really loved this book. Plus, I've been wanting to get my own ink for awhile now so it helped me garner ideas.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Featuring the work of nearly 80 tattoo artists from around the world. This is a nice book to look through for variety. I bought myself a copy when Borders was going out of business.
Kerry
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Good. Obviously, mostly pics of awesome tats but I like to read the blubs from the artists. Gave me some new ideas, too. :-)
Marko Ruostetoja
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Body modification is uncool.
Alexandria
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Live the art in here
Princ Joy
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
nice
Dr.goat
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Well, it's more of a showcase of tattoo artists and their work than all round tattooness. Awesome stuff though!
Paula
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love the pictures and the bio's on all the artists. Very informative and keeps you wanting to see what is on the next page.
Gene McAvoy
Apr 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Interesting pictures...glad the book was cheap. :-)
Blioux

• Jade: Fighting to the End: My Autobiography 1981–2009
  • Sapphire
  • Kerry Katona   Too Much, Too Young
  • Being Jordan: My Autobiography
  • Angel (Angel Summer, #1)
  • The Silent Witness
  • First Man In: Leading from the Front
  • Sand (Sand, #1-5)
  • Wool (Wool, #1)
  • Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums
  • Dust (Silo, #3)
  • Shift (Shift, #1-3; Silo, #2)