Start by marking “Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady - Volume 1 (of 9)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Clarissa Harlowe; or t...

Samuel Richardson

Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady - Volume 1

(Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady #1)

This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published (first published July 1st 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady - Volume 1

Nicole
Nov 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
Ooookay... so Volume 1 of 9. Here is a quick synopsis of nearly 200 pages:

Clarissa (with the back of her hand pressed to her forehead in classically melodramatic style): "I shant! I shant marry Mr. Solmes. Please just let me be single!"

Various family members: "Why must you be so obstinate and spoiled? You're locked in the house until you learn to obey."

Mr. Lovelace lurks in the shadows and plots how he can conquer Clarissa, although her family despises him since he tried to kill her brother in a
Kathleen Flynn
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Longer than War & Peace, told entirely in letters, practically in real time. It's like watching paint dry, only more dark, claustrophobic and creepy. This is one of the most amazing books I have ever read, but not for the faint of heart!
Rosemary
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-books
My goodness, she does witter on. Admittedly she's young but really very silly too. I will not be reading the other volumes - at least, not at any foreseeable time. However, Richardson does an amazing job of getting inside the head of his character.
Leah
Jun 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epistolary, classics
Epistolary novels require a certain amount of willing suspension of disbelief, and this one is no exception. Clarissa's story is a tragic one that comes across at times like a morality play, and it definitely has some strong opinions about the characters within.
Corinna
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm just so happy I finally finished it. And I read the abridged version...
Raoul
Way too long for the current era, but I can imagine that this was quite popular when it was published in the mid 18th century. I assume this was an effort by the author to convince young women of that era to marry as their parents desired or they would follow a similar fate as did Clarissa. I really like the way the author used the series of letters to convey the story. You just don't see that very often in current literature. I read the first volume quite some time ago and then finally found th ...more
Wendy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: required-reading
English 540A: English Fiction, 18th C Novel - Main characters are Clarissa, Lovelace, Anna Howe, and Clarissa's family, the Harlowes. A novel that is told completely through correspondence. A story about a young woman who tries to make decisions for herself but is thwarted by her family and societal mores of the time. A very long, confusing, boring novel (and we read the abridged version).
Ashley W
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1700s, classics
This novel is over 1,500 pages and luckily, I found out that it is on the Kindle for free and printed into 9 volumes, so this review is about the first volume. The novel follows titular character, Clarissa Harlowe, a young good and virtuous woman, who is lusted after by the creepy Robert Lovelace. After her brother and Lovelace duel, Clarissa is being made to marry a horrifying man named Mr. Solmes because her family believes she is in love with Lovelace. She refuses to marry Mr. Solmes because ...more
Lisa
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lot of letters between friends - could have said as much in less but there you go!
So far, Mr Lovelace has been introduced to Clarissa's sister when really he meant to be introduced to Clarissa; he therefore turns the sister down and turns his addresses to Clarissa, who is not interested. Sister Bella is not happy with this and joins forces with spoilt, selfish brother James who is displeased that Clarissa has been left independent property by their grandfather - property that would normally hav
Scott Harris
Having just forced myself to finish Vol.1 of this novel, I can't imagine reading the remaining volumes despite the fact that so much of the drama seems to lie ahead. This first volume seemed like an interminable self-examination of several characters getting nowhere in their argument about the appropriateness of a suitor. In the end, they all come across as whiny, self-absorbed prats. It felt droning and repetitive.
Amy Wolf
Not going to tell you this is the most scintillating thing ever written, but it is an interesting look into the development of the novel. This one is in epistolary form. RIchardson was a big influence on Jane Austen.
Niniva
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bid longer than...

The writing is very well done, the drama very thoughtful, and impressive way put together with letters. However, the main body of the drama and arguments draw much over and over and sometimes overwhelming.
Kristen
Jan 09, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness - I've never read a more boring book in my life. I was interested for the first quarter of the book and enjoying the writing but then it was like Groundhog day. The same thing over and over again. I forced myself to finish it but I won't be reading books 2-9.
Brenda Collins
  • Chariots of Fire
  • The Further Adventures of Robinson Crusoe
  • The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle
  • Aaron's Rod
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
  • The Absentee
  • Bunner Sisters
  • Marius the Epicurean
  • The Life and Death of Harriett Frean
  • A Tale of a Tub
  • For Whom the Bell Tolls (Sparknotes Literature Guides)
  • Caleb Williams
  • The D. Case or The Truth About The Mystery Of Edwin Drood
  • News from Nowhere
Samuel Richardson was a major English 18th century writer best known for his three epistolary novels: Pamela: Or, Virtue Rewarded (1740), Clarissa: Or the History of a Young Lady (1748) and Sir Charles Grandison (1753).

Richardson had been an established printer and publisher for most of his life when, at the age of 51, he wrote his first novel and immediately became one of the most popular and adm

Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady (9 books)
  • Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady - Volume 2 (of 9)
  • Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady - Volume 3 (of 9)
  • Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady - Volume 4 (of 9)
  • Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady - Volume 5 (of 9)
  • Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady - Volume 6 (of 9)
  • Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady - Volume 7 (of 9)
  • Clarissa Harlowe; or, The History of a Young Lady - Volume 8 (of 9)
  • Clarissa Harlowe; or, The History of a Young Lady - Volume 9 (of 9)
“For love must be a very foolish thing to look back upon, when it has brought persons born to affluence into indigence, and laid a generous mind under obligation and dependence.” 5 likes
“to be courted as princesses for a few weeks, in order to be treated as slaves for the rest of our lives.” 2 likes