Start by marking “Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)” as Want to Read:
Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)

Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan #6)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  694 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
An encounter with alien intelligences has life-changing consequences for Captain Will Riker and the crew of the Starship Titan.
Mass Market Paperback, 391 pages
Published October 27th 2009 by Star Trek (first published October 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Synthesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Synthesis

Jarrah
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, star-trek, sci-fi
The marketing of this book (front cover and inside excerpt) make it seem like this book would centre around a return of Minuet as a love interest for Riker, which I was pretty skeptical about.

Fortunately that angle was a little misleading - the actual story is much more about Titan's encounter with a race of intelligent machines, who are locked in an intergalactic war that could have far-ranging consequences. I won't spoil how Minuet gets involved, but she's much more complicated than the holog
Lance Schonberg
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans
This is probably my favourite of the Titan books so far. While the cover makes it look like a romance novel, don't be fooled; just enjoy the characters and the story. And, really, it's the first book in the series where I really bought into all of the characters beyond just being familiar with the ones borrowed from pre-existing TV series. In part, that may be due to appearance in multiple books prior to now, but it's starting to feel like they're a crew, which is nice.

Once again with the univer
Jerry
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fun and exciting entry in this series.
Crystal Bensley
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I got really bored with this one. My least favourite Titan story. The AI species is interesting but man the story drags.
John Cipolla
Sep 14, 2015 added it
Shelves: star-trek
Interesting book. The titan's computer was turned into minuet. The other society they meet gives computers the right to be intelligent
Emma
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
Micah
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
After a Torrent Sea this was a great recovery novel for the Titan Series. After the dismal set of events surrounding the plant Droplet, our explorers again find themselves randomly picking a planetoid/system and falling into anther adventure. The plot unfolds rapidly after the crew discovers the remains of a spacecraft that is sentient. This sentience brushes against the Titan computer increasing its self awareness creating a Data like dilemma about the rights of non-human beings. All of these e ...more
Matthew Purnell
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Synthesis" by James Swallow is not only a great Star Trek story, it is a wonderful tale of science-fiction all by itself. You will experience the grand dynamics of the USS Titan's entire crew, all the diverse aliens who make up the ever expanding Federation are also a huge part of the story's main group of characters.

The main antagonists in this book are the artificial life forms found by the crew of the Titan within an unexplored region of the galaxy. They are "living computers" or more exactl
Morgiana
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
"It was okay" just about sums it up. I liked it better than Nightfall, one of Swallow's Stargate novels, but I just don't care for his writing that much. According to his bio in the back of this book, he pitched the story ideas for two episodes of Star Trek: Voyager, "One" and "Memorial"--but did not actually write the screenplay for either. I liked both of those episodes, and I think he can come up with some great stories. I just don't like how he writes them.

My main problem with this book was
Wayland Smith
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
The Titan series continues in their next big adventure. Riker's ship is back to its main mission of exploring, and they find a new race of self-aware machines in uncharted space. This leads to a series of complications, including the Titan's own computer getting something if an evolutionary boost.

After the series of cross-overs and grim events, this is a much better read in my opinion. There are a lot of plot twists and some really good scenes that should appeal to sci-fi fans. I really liked t
Nis
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Not much Destiny or Typhon Pact influence here, which I guess is OK. The Titan series tends to visit fairly alien environments/cultures, and the machine culture in Synthesis is quite interesting. One thing I really like was that they were neither obviously superior or obviously inferior to the Starfleet crew, just sufficiently different that both sides could surprise the other.

Spoiler ...

The extradimensional Null and the awakened computer were both a bit to deus-ex-machina to me though. They can
John
Jul 27, 2011 added it
A very entertaining book, though not what I expected. Author James Swallow doesn't have a lot of Star Trek novels to his credit, so perhaps that is part of the reason this book seems a little less "Trekie" and a little more "Heady" that your run-of-the-mill ST novel. Still, quite entertaining and a must-read book for those following the exploits of the former crew members of the Enterprise and Voyage, in the "post Destiny" Star Trek Universe.
Angela
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Titan find a completely artificial race that seems to be at war, and who don't like organics. Don't get too excited Minuet isn't actually in the novel, and the character that looks like her isn't in it until halfway through. It's a good creation of an alien society, and you do actually start to care about them. I like how Titan does proper exploration stories that aren't tied into the big events. A really good read.
Dan
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek, titan, e-books
An interesting story, but a little plodding in some places. Interesting ethical questions are raised, and while they should be universe-shattering in implication, the effects are confined to this one story and don't seem likely to be explored in a wider forum. Interesting world-building and a new, unique life-form are the saving graces of the story.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2012/01/s...
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Another great installment in Titan. My only disappointment is in the few tiny pieces of information we got concerning the larger ST Universe. Those who follow the novels know there have been a few major "whacks" to the plot and continuity in the last couple of years and each new book that comes out I anticipate how they will deal with all of that. This one mostly skirts those issues...though those not happy with the overall direction of the novels might take that as a strength.
Jimyanni
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This was a pretty good read; the concept was worthwhile and fairly well handled. But without going into details that could provide a spoiler, I can't say much other than that the climax seemed like a real copout, not unlike the stories in the original TV series (or many other series) in which the main character falls in love, so you know that the love-interest has to die at the end.
Stephen
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bryan Williams
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
New Star Trek writer, but Mr. Swallow did a great job in keeping the Titan momentum going. Titan's travels have been some of the most "alien" of the Trek franchise I have read so far. The authors that have created/write Titan stories really strive to truly "explore strange new worlds," and to promote the best qualities of the Federation and humanity.

Bravo!
Alex
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, star-trek
Hands down the best book in the series. A surprisingly interesting machine civilization, tons of space battles very well described and the birth of Titan's newest crew member, even though it did not possess a physical form, bring forth an exciting story of exploration, trust, the cycle of life and death and how the mistakes of a species can centuries after threaten to doom entire solar systems.
Anni
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Miket01
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
One of the surprisingly few Star Trek tie-in books I've read that really captures the feel of watching a great episode of the series. Typically hand-wavy science spoils the ending a bit, but otherwise one of my favorite Titan books so far.
Brendan Waite
Apr 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
An interesting concept in the Null, the Avatar & The Sentries. The book drags a little at times, but it is still over-all a good read and an enjoyable entry in the Titan series.

Nice little reference to 'Serenity' in there as well!
Steve
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. While this book was enjoyable, it fell into obvious plot twists and what I felt was lazy writing. Having said that, it was a good story and with the exception of the obviousness, I am looking forward to raging more of the authors work.
Nicolas
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A promising story that loses steam with its sluggish plot and parade of ridiculous characters.
Scott Williams
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I've said before, I quite like the direction these Titan novels take. They really get back to the core of Star Trek: seeking out new life and new civilizations.
Jay
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
A good continuation of the Titan series. Great to see a new set of Star Trek stories.

Overall a goot book, worth the read.
Francisco J.
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading:)
Peter Wilson
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fiction
another great titan book, however i was a little gutted at the end that the hologram was unable to be saved.
Richard
Jul 24, 2010 added it
Shelves: gave-away
was good, new life, new civilizations, and AI to boot
Audrey
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
It reads just like a TNG episode, which I enjoyed.
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • A Time to Die
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
James Swallow is a New York Times, Sunday Times and Amazon bestselling author and scriptwriter, a BAFTA nominee, a former journalist and the award-winning writer of over forty-five books, along with numerous scripts for videogames, radio and television.

His writing includes the Marc Dane action thriller series, the Sundowners steampunk Westerns and fiction from the worlds of Star Trek, Warhammer 4
More about James Swallow...

Star Trek: Titan (10 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fortune of War