Start by marking “Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice For Your Baby's First Year” as Want to Read:
Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice For Your Baby's First Year

Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice For Your Baby's First Year

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  2,013 Ratings  ·  276 Reviews
You are having a baby! Congratulations! Now the reality hits you: what the heck am I doing? What if you could bottle the wisdom of all those parents who've come before you and mix it with the solid medical advice from an nationally-renowned pediatrician? Baby 411 is the answer! Think of it as the ultimate FAQ for new parents.

Baby 411 hits today's hot-button issues head-on

Paperback, Fourth Edition, 576 pages
Published September 25th 2009 by Windsor Peak Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Baby 411, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby 411

Natali
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I am not giving this book 5 stars is because it freaked me out a little. I'm not sure it is wise to read about every little disease, virus, and genetic abnormality that your baby could have before you give birth. Nevertheless, this is a GREAT reference for all things parenting in the first 2 years of a baby's life. I'm glad I read it so that in case anything should go wrong with my little one (heaven forbid!), I'll know where to start.

This book also has helpful guides to online
Apr 23, 2010 rated it liked it
I've read enough of this now to mark it as "read". I really don't intend to read through the whole doom and gloom section on rare illnesses. Much like Baby Bargains, it was helpful, but a bit sloppy and repetitive. It was hard for me to trust the authority of the contributing pediatrician when she has bad reviews from local parents. (I live in the area where she works, so came across info on her practice when I was researching pediatricians.) Nonetheless, I did refer to it many times and did tak ...more
Brian Rosenblat
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
super helpful the first time around. not so fluffy like some fo the other books in this genre. more like a FAQ for how to take care of a baby- which is exactly my speed.

this time around, didn't quite finish re-reading it. much more helpful the first time. 2nd time parent means fewer questions. more than advice i this time i could use sleep....

but would recommend to any first time parent!
A Yao
Mar 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Generally innocuous tips but some snide and sanctimonious bits, which I can do without in an advice book on parenting. Claims that night nursing causes cavities, so makes me worry what other inaccurate information the authors are spreading.
Derek Hao Hu
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This is a great book for me as a new father. I love the way the book is being organized as Q/A pairs where most of the time the authors answer the questions clearly and with REFERENCES! This is really important as there are many controversial and contrasting views about these common baby issues, e.g. how we should perform sleep training. I really enjoy the authors enumerating possible references where I can refer to if I feel I want to know about this topic or where this idea comes from.

Besides,
Melanie
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've really been reading the 6th edition but that doesn't seem to be an obvious option here on goodreads. Anyway, lots of good info that is both reassuring (for what it seems I've already been doing "right") and daunting (the things I probably SHOULD already have been doing by now). I do wish there was more info on babies teething and sort of more-specific info on how to serve babies without any teeth meat, but I guess I'm really just looking for a straightforward how-to guide there. Helpful inf ...more
Andralynn
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this book from cover to cover (who really does that with books like these?), but I have found myself going back to this book over and over with questions about my new baby. My pediatrician gave us this book at our baby's two-week checkup, and I have looked at it for something multiple times a week since. I'm pretty sure I have avoided calling the doctor's office because of the excellent information in this book. It's incredibly reassuring to look something up that my baby is doing ...more
Christina Hager
Good information and tidbits but I could do without some of the chiding and what feels like sanctimonious comments. One example that sticks out in my mind was among the lines of there's something wrong with you if you're still nursing your child to sleep/in the middle of the night by the time they are getting teeth (like 6 months). just kind of struck me that as new parents we don't need passive aggressive lecturing interspersed with important safety information
Becks
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely the best baby book I read. Good for both a straight read-through and for use as reference. I had a few quibbles with a few answers that essentially said "the science suggests that X is OK but why not avoid it out of extreme caution?" but it was far more evidence-based than most books. I also find it interesting that this book was recommended to me by a number of people with wildly different parenting philosophies.
Kristen
Standard fair as every other "Baby's 1st year"-type book, so I would say skip--except for 1 chapter. The chapter on sleep has a great summary and ratings of the basic baby sleep theories out there. Definitely worth the read of that chapter to save you reading all the sleep books--or at least only reading the one for your favorite theory.
  • Expecting 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Pregnancy
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby
  • When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Baby Signs: How to Talk with Your Baby Before Your Baby Can Talk, New Edition
  • The Sleepeasy Solution: The Exhausted Parent's Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep from Birth to Age 5
  • How to Have Your Second Child First: 100 Things That Are Good to Know... the First Time Around
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five
  • Pregnancy Day By Day
  • 1, 2, 3... the Toddler Years: A Practical Guide for Parents & Caregivers
“It depends on the baby. Stick with the perfume-free and dye-free rule, especially for babies with sensitive skin. But, that does NOT necessarily mean that your baby’s laundry needs to be washed separately with his own expensive detergent. The whole family’s laundry can be done with a product like ALL Free and Clear or Tide Free. For the baby with sensitive skin, pre-wash items that will be touching him. It may also be helpful to double rinse the laundry. And remember to avoid dryer sheets (they all contain perfume).” 0 likes