Start by marking “Ravens in the Library: Magic in the Bard's Name” as Want to Read:
Ravens in the Library: Magic in the Bard's Name

Ravens in the Library: Magic in the Bard's Name

A Limited Edition Collection of Stories and Art dedicated to the health of S.J. Tucker

Featuring Tales by:
Angel Leigh McCoy
Seanan McGuire
Kris M
Published March 2009 by The Ravens in the Library Project

To ask other readers questions about Ravens in the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ravens in the Library

Colleen
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ravens in the Library was a thick book of very short stories that were mostly thick, dense, filling stories, each with its own wild flavor. Despite my usual swift habit for book consumption, I simply could not get through Ravens at any particular speed. It reminded me of an intellectual box of truffles. Two or three stories were plenty enough at one sitting, thanks. I would bite into one without knowing what the center (ending) was going to be, and I was happy not to know. It was all a grand gus ...more
Satyros Brucato
My proudest hour. This book was collected when our best friend, the musician SJ Tucker, landed in the hospital with a serious and expensive illness. Within less than three months, my partner Sandra Buskirk, our graphic artist Sherry Lynn Baker, and a host of top-name and VERY generous authors and artists put together this limited-edition benefit anthology. It was one the craziest periods of my life, and I thank everyone involved for its existence. PS: American "health care" is an ugly joke. MORE ...more
Izlinda
It's almost 4AM here. Too tired to write a more robust review. I really liked this collection of short stories and I have a few I liked more than the others, but no story really stank. I'm glad to contribute to helping Sooj pay for her medical bills. I love her soundtracks for three of Catherynne M. Valente's stories.
Jennifer Brozek
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fabulous. All of the stories are good. Some are stellar. Seanan McGuire's "Lost" made me cry in a good way.
.keli.
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just received this book in the mail, and I cannot wait to read it. WHY? Because my beautiful friend Jaymi Elford has a story in it! Along with Neil Gaiman, Charles de Lint and a plethora of other authors. This book was put together to help with medical bills for a performer, S.J. Tucker (Sooj), and how cool is it that Jaymi has a story in it?!

Congratulations, Jaymi!

ETA: I've started reading this one, and so far love all the stories. Because it's a collection of short stories, it waits on my de
Steven
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
While there were a few stories that just didn't speak to me, this anthology (on the whole) is quite good. As usual, the de Lint and Gaiman stories were my favorite of the bunch, but other standout authors/stories (IMO) were Terry Windling, Shira Lipkin, Angel Leigh McCoy, SatyrPhil Brucato, Alexandra Elizabeth Honigsberg and Laurel K Hamilton. It definitely makes me want to pick up a Sooj Tucker CD and hear the vocals to go with some of her lyrics.

2010 Reread--Even more excellent than I remember
Nicole Bunge
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Go here. Buy it. $25.

I happen to be on SatyrPhil's LJ.
I added it to the website (can't believe I am the 1st one.)
It's only available for a limited time. They're already almost out of the first print run.

So far I've just read the Neil Gaiman and Holly Black stories. But come on! Midori Snyder, Charles de Lint, Terri Windling, Storm Constine, Laurell K. Hamilton, Francesca Lia Block...
is good.
Kat Heatherington
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
i'm not sure if i'm done reading this or not; i have certainly put it down. some of the stories are interesting, but very few so far are memorable for me. it takes a lot for a short story to really get my attention -- there is just not enough time for real character development before the thing is over. the artwork is beautiful, and if you like short stories, this seems to me like a good collection, spanning a range of styles and topics, in the theme of magic.
Omly
Dec 31, 2009 rated it liked it
2 years ago SJ Tucker was the musical guest of honor at Arisia, a local science fiction convention in the Boston area. I had already been a fan of her work so I was very happy to pick up a copy of this benefit book.

There are so many talented authors that contributed to this work. Although I am not generally a huge fan of short stories, I did enjoy the chance to read a bit by some authors in the community I was less familiar with in addition to some of the bigger names.
Diana
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
Overall I loved it. There were a few stories, while still good, that weren't to my particular taste, but the collection brought together over ten authors I'm very fond of. I will say one thing about an individual story though: "Lost" by Seanan McGuire made me break down into tears. Even if I didn't love plenty of the other stories, it would have been worth it to me for "Lost" alone.
Misha
Ravens in the Library is an excellent collection of stories by Laurell K. Hamilton, Seanan McGuire, Neil Gaiman, and several others. I look forward to opening its magic again and again. Created as a fundraiser for bard extraordinaire S.J. Tucker, the anthology just goes to show that fairy tales with happy endings still happen.
Bridgett
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this collection. All the stories seemed to fit together. My favorites were "Ice" by Francesca Lia Block and "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire" by Neil Gaiman and "Fortune" by an author I didn't know of, Shira Lipkin.
Jen
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a charming collection of magical stories, poems, and illustrations. It's a wonderful read. I recommend picking up a copy of it while it's still available.
Everett Ambrose Warren
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful stories, and a beautiful purpose behind this anthology.
Kimberly
Jun 07, 2009 is currently reading it
This is a genre I could like after all.
Rachel Ayers
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of mystical, magical, musical stories.
Deborah Brannon
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology, fantasy
You can read my review of this anthology in three parts at the following site: http://www.deborahjbrannon.com/r-bruc...
Micaela
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lots of lively stories, some lingering.
Leona Wisoker
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The review for this book will appear on the Sleeping Hedgehog in due course. I'm a bit behind, please be patient.
Anna
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book. Some really interesting and different short stories and endings.
Jonathon Green
Dec 27, 2009
Ginger
Oct 02, 2011
Angel McCoy
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Darcy Stewart
  • Mermaids and Other Mysteries of the Deep
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2011
  • Human for a Day
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
  • What's Your Story? (Postcard Collection)
  • Other Worlds Than These