Start by marking “Hope for Today” as Want to Read:
Hope for Today

Hope for Today

daily thoughts and meditations on living in a family with alcoholism
Published March 1st 2007 by Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc. (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Hope for Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope for Today

Jonathan Tennis
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Of the three primary daily readers for Al-Anon (One Day at a Time, The Courage to Change, Hope for Today), I found this to be the one I enjoyed most. It’s easy to read and with more modern examples of the impacts of addiction the older books could not provide. Daily readers offer an opportunity to learn new things in small, bite size nuggets of only a page. Not all pages will apply to every reader but almost every page will have something worth noting / knowing.
Bj
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my 4 daily Devotional books I read each day b4 I do ANYTHING....I can tell when I have not started my day off reading them, they are excellent short daily reading that may or may not apply to you. However, I rarely find a page that I do not....
Colleen  Quinn
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of all the al anon books for morning quiet time!
Becky
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
specifically written for ACOA's - good daily reads
C.J. Prince
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read and re-read this book daily for years now. I am so grateful for the insights offered!
Michelle Sweetland

Amazing daily thoughts! Changed my life.
Kat
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I pick this daily reader up constantly because it of all it says that I am able to relate to. I've been reading it for 3 years now, and even when I am.rereading a passage I get.something new from it.
Noreen
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!! Every morning it helps to adjust my attitude and perspective. Never know if t
he topic will be step,tradition or slogan.
Chris Gager
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The newest daily reader in Alanon. Aimed more at adult children of Alcoholics. My own contribution is on Oct. 31st.
Chrysta
May 26, 2008 is currently reading it
This is my favorite Al-Anon daily reader, focused on Adult Children of Alcoholics.
Siobhain
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I do not currently have anyone close to me who is an alcoholic, but alcoholism has touched me distantly through grandparents and others. I came across Al Anon materials accidentally but have found them to be hugely helpful in living an emotionally healthy life. Most of our lives are touched by dysfunction and dysfunctional people in many ways. Hope for Today provides a little daily dose of sanity and spiritual guidance in a world that is full of insanity and a denial of God. I highly recommend t ...more
Olive
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Daily reader... kind of always reading this one but have been through it several years in a row now and each time find something different.
Jessica Bozeman
Aug 30, 2014
W
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • As Bill Sees It: The A.A. Way of Life...Selected Writings of A.A.'s Co-Founder
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics/Dysfunctional Familes
  • Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps: New Stories
  • Twenty-Four Hours a Day
  • The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women
  • Setting Boundaries® with Your Adult Children: Six Steps to Hope and Healing for Struggling Parents
  • Making Peace with the Things in Your Life: Why Your Papers, Books, Clothes, and Other Possessions Keep Overwhelming You and What to Do About It
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • Struggle for Intimacy
  • I Just Hope It's Lethal: Poems of Sadness, Madness, and Joy
  • Adult Children: The Secrets of Dysfunctional Families
  • Laugh Your Way to Grace: Reclaiming the Spiritual Power of Humor
  • Spineless Wonders: Strange Tales from the Invertebrate World
“When I first stopped trying to fix other people, I turned my attention to 'curing' myself. I was in a hurry to get this healing process over. I wanted immediate recovery from the effects of growing up in a family riddled with alcoholism and from being married to an alcoholic. I looked forward to the day I would graduate from Al-Anon and get on with my life. As year two and year three passed, I was still in the program. I began to despair as the character defects I had worked so long to overcome came back to haunt me, particularly during times of stress and during periods when I didn't attend meetings.

I have severe arthritis in my joints. To cope with my condition, I have to assess my body each day and patiently respond to its needs. Some days I need a warm bath to get going in the morning. On other days I apply a medicated rub to the painful areas. Yet other days some light stretching and exercise help to loosen me up. I'ave accepted that my arthritis will never go away. It's a condition I manage daily with consistent, on-going care.

One day I made a connection between my medical condition and my struggle with recovery. I began to look at myself as having 'arthritis of the personality,' requiring patient, continuous care to keep me from 'stiffening' into old habits and attitudes. This care includes attending meetings, reading Al-Anon literature, calling my sponsor, and engaging in service. Now, as long as I practice patience, recovery is a manageable and adventurous process instead of an arduously sought end point.”
1 likes