Start by marking “The Quantum Frontier: The Large Hadron Collider” as Want to Read:
The Quantum Frontier: The Large Hadron Collider

The Quantum Frontier: The Large Hadron Collider

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The highest-energy particle accelerator ever built, the Large Hadron Collider runs under the border between France and Switzerland. It leapt into action on September 10, 2008, amid unprecedented global press coverage and widespread fears that its energy would create tiny black holes that could destroy the earth.

By smashing together particles smaller than atoms, the LHC rec
Published February 4th 2009 by Johns Hopkins University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Quantum Frontier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quantum Frontier

Mark
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is a very good intro to the basics of the LHC, but then changes gears in the middle of chapter 4. Here he tells you that the book is going to go into more details so general readers should just skip to the next chapter. It read to me like he had written the last half of the 4th chapter first, then was told to dumb it down for real people and just wrote around it. He really should have gone back and put some more time into that part.
Still, it has lots of interesting stuff throughout. It
Dee Eisel
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
I got this one from the library, which is good - it's a decent book, but it doesn't quite make it to "book I'd have on my shelf." (I actually recommend the film Particle Fever, which is available on Netflix, for good information on the topic of CERN and the discovery of the Higgs boson.)

Lincoln does a decent job talking about the history of CERN, and detailing some of the past accelerators and the work they did. I liked his description of quarks and how they might work. But, ultimately, his writ
Jason Furman
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a well written, well organized book on the Large Hadron Collider that is now operating at CERN. The five chapter titles pretty much tell you what you'll get out of the book: (1) What We Know: The Standard Model; (2) What We Guess: Theories We Want to Test; (3) How We Do It: The Large Hadron Collider; (4) How We See It: The Enormous Detectors; and (5) Where We're Going: The Big Picture, the Universe, and the Future.

It is written by a practicing physicist who writes well and uses lots of d
m.
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
świat nie wybuchnie przez Wielki Zderzacz Hadronów.

mniej-więcej tyle zrozumiałam z całej książki. dla mnie nie do przebrnięcia, jeśli chce się zrozumieć całość - i generalnie wydaje mi się, że nie do przebrnięcia dla jakiegokolwiek laika. niby chwyty z Hawkinga (wyobraźmy sobie, że rzucamy bananem w ołowianą ścianę) ale poprzedzone ogromną ilością tekstu, który dla mnie brzmi jak fizyczny bełkot, którego nie potrafię zrozumieć. miałam nadzieję na więcej historii powstania LHC i na proste ujęc
Todd Martin
Jun 17, 2009 rated it liked it
The Quantum Frontier provides an overview of particle physics, the Large Hadron Collider and some of the discoveries that might occur.

Though the book itself is not particularly well written and presents the information rather dryly, the science behind the collider is fascinating and certainly the discoveries that it produces could provide insight into the fundamental nature of the universe including: verification of the Higgs boson (the force particle thought to be responsible for mass), insigh
Ken Rideout
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Great first couple chapters - one of the best introductions to the standard model I have ever read (he kept it simple and clean with very little clutter). But then I glazed over with the details of the collider at CERN and its detection equipment. A good read for people who don't have any idea why particle physicists do the things they do.
Cassandra Kay Silva
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
This book was extremely basic. If you know anything at all about particle physics you will be very bored. I think there is more pertinent time sensitive information about the "frontier of research" on the CERN website.
Riccardo
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An interesting overview on fundamentals of contemporary particle physics.
It offers an exciting assessment of the Large Haldron Collider.

The book is written in a readable style, and can be appreciated to anyone with even a vague interest in science.
Kelly
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it
The first half of this book is quite approachable for a rather complex subject. But the book gets kind of long in the tooth in the second half. Still for an overview of some of what this area is about it isn't a bad read.
Shane
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
An okay, but somewhat dumbed down description of how the LHC works and its importance to physics.
Joseph