Start by marking “Breath of Fire” as Want to Read:
Breath of Fire

Breath of Fire

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  290 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
A cynical Mattaen monk meets the ultimate temptation: a passionate female dragonrider who claims him as her mate.
Mass Market Paperback, 291 pages
Published June 30th 2009 by Love Spell (first published May 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Breath of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breath of Fire

Erin
Nov 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Kane starts off with a good idea: subvert the standard alpha hero/beta heroine relationship by making her hero a virgin scholar monk-in-training, and her heroine a dragonslayer with some kind of sex magic (I didn't get far enough to learn more than that).

Karl, the almost-monk, is set to take his vows (including chastity) and join his order in two days. He is attracted to Elera but does not want to sleep with her, a sentiment he makes clear early on. Elera, the dragonslayer, is walking GHB. Afte
Sandy M
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I’ve found a brand new author who is now on my auto-buy list after her debut book. This book has it all. It kept me reading, turning page after page, couldn’t put it down, it was terrific to the very last word. Yeah, all of those phrases that readers and reviewers use over and over again when describing a book they love. And add in any others you can think of.

Karl is a Mattaen initiate, men trained as warriors to defend those in need, and he is just days away from taking his final vows on h
Sabrina
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Breath of Fire was a totally original and fun read! It sat on my TBR pile for a bit until one day I decided to give it a try. I wasn't expecting the fantastic story that I got, nor to come to the end and instantly want to find out about when the next book will be released.

This book turns many of the basic romance story rules on their axis. Instead of the virginal heroine being saved by the mighty hero, the book actually opens with the heroine saving the virgin hero's life! What's more, it wasn't
Nicole
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I could not put this book down! It was incredible.
Sexy confident and clearly in charge Elera arrives just in time to save the Initiate Karl from certain death by the dragon he thought could not exsist. However daughter of the dragon slayer named Shane demands payment, in the form of the virgin sacrifice. Karl has pledged his life to attaining knowledge and remains celebate and virgin in his persuits. He will soon join the brotherhood as a full fledged member and finally gain access to the scrol
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Karl does not believe in dragons so when he arrives at a village getting ready to stake out a virgin as a sacrifice he tells them there are no dragons. When they still insist on sacrificing the virgin to the dragon he takes her place. Imagine his surprise when the dragon arrives and he is chained to a rock . Fortunately for him Elera the dragon slayer arrives in time to kill the dragon. Unfortunately for him Elera claims him as her virgin prize. Karl has spent the last 17 years as an Initiate of ...more
Barbara ★
Dragonrider Elera must find a king for her people and settles on Mattaen Initiate Karl. It should take a lot to derail a man from his chosen path but Elera is tempation personified and it really doesn't take all that much effort to persuade Karl to leave everything behind.

Don't they say "turnabout is fair play"? Well in this story, the heroine takes the initiative and enthralls Karl and takes what she wants. It's finally the heroes turn to feel hurt and betrayed and it's about darn time. This is
Darcy
Mar 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
This one was a maybe book for me. The concept of a virgin sacrifice has been done so many times, but this one had a twist, the man was the virgin, so I thought it just might be different enough to capture my attention. Unfortunately the main female character grated on my last sane nerve, she was so abrasive that after 30 pages I gave it up. This one just wasn't for me.
Rachel
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Paranormal romance. The thing that drew me to this is the man is the virgin and the woman is experienced. Complete opposite of most romance novels. Had to read it for that fact alone.

Started out good, but kind of fell off. Got a little boring towards the end.
Missy Fitch
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was really interesting. I loved the dragon lore. The characters were well written and likable. The plot was interesting and made sense. I really enjoyed this book a lot!
Lyra Rose
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Find my review at http://lyraroses.blogspot.com
Paranormal Romance
On his travels in pursuit of knowledge and discovery, the hero comes across an act of ignorance and fear. The villagers have captured a young girl and mean to sacrifice her to the dragon. He is horrified that they should frighten such a innocent, especially considering there in no such thing as dragons. So, he offers a trade. Himself for the girl. All the villagers need, after all, if a virgin. But while he expected to be freed a short time later when the mythical beast did not show up, he is st ...more
Alarna Martin
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
it was a good book. sorta in the middle on the enymoment scale where it was entertains to read but you probably wouldn't read it again. i like the romance between the two characters and how that the h was a strong, conferdent, indepent women but still show vernerbillity and concern for her friends. i think the ending fell a bit flat and there could be improvements in some areas but i have to say some of the spelling mistakes where funny like "steady pounding puke".

overall i think that this book
Melissa ownsbey
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
omg wow i am a fan of this author
breath of fire was the first book i ever
read an man im hooked
i will be reading everything by her i can find
Felicia (Ferishia)
I'd had this book in my tbr pile for about a year. I picked it to read for my PNR reading challenge and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I like this book. The story was great, it was a different spin on what usually happens when dealing with dragons and sacrificial virgins. Karl is an Initiate, a man that is getting read to take his vows to be a monk. He lives a village that sacrifices virgins to appease the dragons. Or so it seems. Karl comes upon such an event happening, and takes the pl ...more
Sarina Asheford
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Breath of Fire was a surprisingly different take on your typical mythological/fantasy type romance book. I liked Elera from the start. She was strong, wily and could almost be defined as treacherous until you see the reasoning behind her behavior. Karl was a great character with dimension and knowledge who didn't jump into anything, in fact he often needed to be forced.

There were several scenes in this book that I would have liked to see go a bit differently, but it's not my muse, not my charac
Juli
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome new fantasy romance novel about a society of dragon riders, a religious sect, the hatred between them and the love of two of them members. The switching of the classic tale of the virgin sacrifice is an interesting twist that most readers seem to love--and this one was no exception. The world is fantastically drawn and rivals anything once produced in the fantasy genres. The romance is hot and sweet, and I think anyone who loves C.L. Wilson's work will adore Tammy Kane's too. I can't wai ...more
Ellen
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
This was a really good story, excellent world-building and real connection with Elera and Karl. I liked that even though Karl was a virgin there was an almost reason for why he was so good at it almost immediately (study - monks have that kind of information apparently).

I would love to see more of this world. I read this book only because the idea of a male human sacrifice was hilarious and it sounded interesting.
Sarah Winters
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on, fantasy
Ok, I liked that fact that for a change the hero gets to play the part of sacrificial virgin but there was nothing about this story that really caught and held me. I found myself constantly putting it down for something else. The connection between Karl and Elera just didn't have enough to keep me slogging through so sadly I'm putting this in my give up pile. Probably one day, when I'm dreadfully sick and read all my other books I'll finish it - but I'm not holding my breath.
Feminista
Aug 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
DNF: In the first 30 pages, Karl, a man who has honour and a monk who wishes to remain celibate for the rest of his life is forced by Elera(using her magic)into having sex with her. Oh, and she knows that he doesn't want it, but does it stop her? Nope. And then she gets real indignant when he calls her some well-deserved names.
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
The story was decent. The world building was great. The romance was good.

My problem isn't actually the book. It's the summery. This isn't a woman does all the badass and the man is swept off his feet like it's portrayed. This is the typical girl needs saving, and guy, against great odds, saves her.
Rhianna
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love dragon stories! Something very sexy about the girl seducing the monk. My only real complaint was that the bad guy just didn't know how to die. The story ran a little too long, but overall was very entertaining, and left us waiting for book two.
Bradley
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
I thought I had found a grail with this book. Romance & dragons. Sadly the dragons are only second fiddle to the romance in the tale. Not a bad story, but less than what I hoped for. Ah well, back to fishing in my to-read pile. =-)
K.K. Summer
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
actually it is 3.75 Stars ;)
The_Book_Queen
4.5 Stars
Lucy
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fantastic debut novel, especially if you like strong heroines, sexy virgin heroes and dragons!
Karen Stein
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
great book caught my interest in the first few pages
Shy
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
dragon book. good. read.
Lucero ♡♡♡
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I like how Lenen character is shown in this book. But the romance was overall overwhelming. Kind of took most of the book away from the action. But it's good
Elena
rated it did not like it
Mar 21, 2013
Aug 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Lucan (Pendragon Legacy #1)
  • Dragon Heat (Dragon, #1)
  • Dragon Down Under (Dragon Down Under, #1)
  • Naked Dragon (Works Like Magick, #1)
  • Flashfire (Dragonfire, #7)
  • The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4)
  • Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit, #1)
  • Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1)
  • Dragon's Lair (The Drake's #1)
  • Dragon Blues
  • Wings of Change (Dragon Knights, #4.5)
  • Dragon's Blood (Cruentus Dragons, #1)
  • The Taming of Mei Lin (Tang Dynasty, #.5)
  • The Desert King  (Throne of Judar #3)
  • Tears of the Dragon (Dragonshifters, #1)