Start by marking “Alien Hand Syndrome and Other Too-Weird-Not-To-Be-True Stories” as Want to Read:
Alien Hand Syndrome and Other Too-Weird-Not-To-Be-True Stories

Alien Hand Syndrome and Other Too-Weird-Not-To-Be-True Stories

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  140 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This collection of too-weird-not-to-be-true stories gives the freakish details behind odd curiosities, from unusual drug side effects to the Alien Hand Syndrome--a disorder wherein a person's hand develops a will of its own.
Published July 10th 2009 by Workman Publishing (first published July 1st 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Alien Hand Syndrome and Other Too-Weird-Not-To-Be-True Stories

Alan Bellows
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the primary author of this book, so naturally I'm a fan. I'm not crazy about the title, cover, or alphabetical organization, but the publisher was indifferent to my protests. So it goes.
Intplibrarian
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
If you like websites like Mental Floss and Damn Interesting, this book is definitely for you. Since I'm really into that kind of trivia, I'd heard of most of the phenomena listed in the book, but there were some I hadn't heard of before, which is a nice surprise, and even the entries I already was familiar with were good reads.[return][return]I've passed the book on to my 66 year old mom after convincing her she'd be interested in it. She, in turn, has unsuccessfully tried to pass it on to a fri ...more
stormhawk
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love curious stories about stuff. All kinds, not restricted to topic. I've been fascinated by this sort of thing since elementary school, when I would find little gems in my Scholastic Book Club newsprint flyer every month, and beg my mother to give me the money for books like Strange but True Tales. As the years passed the books were lost or given away, but my love for the oddities and curiosities of life continued. I was overjoyed to find in this book details of some of those old scraps of i ...more
Jamie
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Interested in interesting facts? Like it even better if you can follow up those trivia bombs you drop with enough follow-up information that you don't look like an idiot trying to sound smart? I think I've got something you might like.

This afternoon I was reading an article about a mining disaster and I started thinking about Lake Peigneur. I was trying to remember its name because I'd seen a really great documentary about it once on Youtube that I'd like to watch again, when it suddenly occurre
Brent
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Alien Hand Syndrome and Other Too-Weird-Not-To-Be-True Stories is basically a compilation of articles from damninteresting.com. While many of the stories are only found in the book, a lot of them are taken directly from the web site. This may make you wonder why you would buy the book if you can just read most of it on-line for free. Well, you really need to read both the book and the web site. The stories are just that good.
While the stories are all intriguing and very well-written, I found tha
Edward B.
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Strictly a light-reading, bathroom-type book.
Fine for what it is.
From damninteresting.com, apparently.

The most interesting thing about it, for me, was the way I came across it: I happened to be walking down a street not far from home that I had apparently never walked down before, and found a house with a small cabinet by the sidewalk, labelled "Community Library". It contained an odd assortment of books. This book seemed like about the most interesting to me, so I took it.
My wife tells me that
Robert
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: other
I did not really know where to shelve this one as it falls under so many odd little niches. A fun book to pick up when one has a little moment here and there as most of these stories are only a few pages long. Lots of odd history here as well as very bizarre scientific items. Consider the interesting story of the Japanese soldier that carried on for 30 years after WWII had ended, hiding out in the jungle, next to a scientific piece about a doctor that considers eating your boogers is good for yo ...more
Scott
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the first Early Reviewers "win" that I can whole-heartedly say I loved receiving. I'm a huge fan of Workman Publishing -- every book I've ever bought from that publishing house has been attractively designed and packaged, and "Alien Hand Syndrome" definitely falls into that category. The book itself is like a treasure trove of oddities -- an updated and expanded Ripley's Believe It or Not! I've only scanned through about 1/3 of the content (at random) so far, but I've enjoyed most of th ...more
Dave Armstrong
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book and the blog is full of great stories. Each story is well researched, has humor and the flow keeps you engaged and entertained. I often keep it near by for a quick story read for myself or with my kids.
Kim
I have read a lot of weird facts and stories over the years, but this book was filled with surprises and far more new information than I ever expected. Fascinating.
Holly
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I knew some of these, others I thought were urban legends. Fascinating book for those who love obscure and bizarre stories
Susan Gallagher
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Good to have around for when you have a few minutes to spare, and can fit in a few pages. I just skipped the few stories that didn't interest me. A roughly even mix of science and history.
Heidi Day
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The title of the book doesn't quite do it justice. It's filled with lots of random facts and historical events. Very interesting and fun to read!
Liana
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Lots and lots of short articles on very unusual topics. Fascinating reading, and easy going.
Andy Mitchell
I'd never heard of the web site DamnInteresting.com. Their stories are surprising and informative. I give this compilation book my highest recommendation.
Gerald J. Normandin Jr.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Circumstantial Evidence: Death, Life, and Justice in a Southern Town
  • Fetal Abduction: The True Story of Multiple Personalities and Murder
  • This Will Kill You: A Guide to the Ways in Which We Go
  • The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious
  • A Dance with the Devil: A True Story of Marriage to a Psychopath
  • Cranioklepty: Grave Robbing and the Search for Genius
  • The Last of the Tribe: The Epic Quest to Save a Lone Man in the Amazon
  • No Kids: 40 Good Reasons Not to Have Children
  • Criminal Minds: Sociopaths, Serial Killers, and Other Deviants
  • Living with Evil
  • True Stories of Law & Order: Svu: The Real Crimes Behind the Best Episodes of the Hit TV Show
  • OMG My Kids Said WHAT?
  • 365: Great Stories from History for Every Day of the Year
  • Laws of Media: The New Science
  • The Big Book of Hoaxes: True Tales of the Greatest Lies Ever Told! (Factoid Books)
  • Your Flying Car Awaits: Robot Butlers, Lunar Vacations, and Other Dead-Wrong Predictions of the Twentieth Century
  • Friends: Making Them & Keeping Them [With 5 Mini Friendship Posters]