Start by marking “Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)” as Want to Read:
Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)

Eggs Benedict Arnold

(Cackleberry Club #2)

Published December 1st 2009 by Berkley Prime Crime

To ask other readers questions about Eggs Benedict Arnold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eggs Benedict Arnold

Sara
May 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I like the characters of the cackleberry club but this story had a very scattered plot that in the end fell totally short and there was no real good rason as to why the culprit even knew to go after Suzanne for "knowing to much"
Susan
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-reads
The story starts out well, but then Suzanne and her friends at the Cackleberry Club spend too much time being worried about a rival, Carmen. The ending felt rushed and there weren't a lot of clues that led me to suspect the killer.
Susan
Jan 22, 2010 rated it liked it
This series by Childs, only two books in, seems slightly less annoying than her other two, but (oddly enough) also seems to have much less sense of place. Widowed Suzanne, one of three owners of the Cackleberry Club diner/knitting shop/bookstore, finds the body of a local funeral director. When the gruff but not incompetent local sheriff lists Suzanne's friend Missy, the dead man's lady friend, near the top of the suspect list, Suzanne vows to help find the murderer and clear Missy. Actually, th ...more
Angela
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Suzanne is the owner of a nice little place called Cackleberry Club. It is a mix of somewhere to eat, knit, read, and relax. She may have had her mystery trouble in the past, but she is so over that...or so she thought. Soon, Suzanne is finding herself in the middle of, yet another mystery. Only this time she is not a suspect, but a victim. She simply went to deliver a pie to Ozzie, the funeral director, then the next thing she knows she is staring at, what appears to be a dead Ozzie sprawled ov ...more
Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs)
Eggs Benedict Arnold by Laura Childs is the second book in the Cackleberry Club mystery series, featuring Suzanne, Petra & Toni. In this installment, Suzanne discovers the body of a local funeral director. After being attacked with chloroform, Suzanne finds that Ozzie was murdered. With her friend Missy a suspect, Suzanne reluctantly agrees to have a look around.

This book was just about as busy as the first, with several intersecting plot points, but it was much easier to follow along. I was
Dawn Michelle
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it

Read~April 2, 2010

This one was way better than the first one. WAY!! The plot was better (and more believable), the characters didn't seem as coarse and there was WAY less swearing (4 times if memory serves me and they only use one word), which was VERY refreshing!

I love the camaraderie of these women, their devotion to each other and the town they love in and the people they love. And the mystery was really good. Once again, I was completely stumped and when it was all revealed, I was stunned.
Lollyletsgo
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this series, and I can't wait until that Carmen comes crawling to Suzanne to help her out sometime- that woman is like a "plastique" from High School- you know the type, not afraid to look her nose down at anyone she's threatened by or her snarky comments thrown around just because she can.

The series is getting better as the characters are unfolding more and more. (I'm reading the 3rd one now.)
Terry
Nov 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Laura Childs can readily "craft" a mystery to meet the need--and this is evidenced by her third series, which features the Cackleberry Club cafe in Kindred, Texas. (Her others are Scrapbooking and Tea Shop.)
Light and easy (motto "Don't put all your eggs in one casket.")the Cackleberry Club brings three loyal friends together--plenty of good food and recipes included--the helpful sheriff and more. Just plain fun.
Sara
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I want to live in Kindred and hang out with Suzanne, Petra and Toni....and work in the Cackleberry Cafe! I love this series and the only bad thing about this book is that I read it so fast and now I have to WAIT for the next one! Write faster, Laura!!!
Deb Sharp
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is another series for Laura Childs And I have to say it is a very exciting series with lots of action.
Helen White
I will admit that whilst this is book two in the Cackleberry Club series by Laura Childs, it was the first book that I read. Whether starting at the beginning would have made much difference to my enjoyment of the book, I’m not sure, but overall I found Eggs Benedict Arnold a struggle to read.

Toni, Petra and Suzanne are the owners of the Cackleberry Club, a diner come bookshop come knitting shop. I found it difficult to connect with these characters - there wasn’t much of a backstory to them an
Guera25
May 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm dumber for having read this. One of Childs' biggest faults as a writer is creating a protagonist with potential in the first novel of a series, only to transform her into a shrill, patronizing, off-putting harpy who condescends to her "friends" and treats local law enforcement like her personal errand boys when it comes to investigating the case. And of course, everything to which she turns her hand is a rousing success and everyone fawns over her. So brave. So smart. So creative.

So stupid s
Marty
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Despite the silly name, the book was OK. Three middle-aged ladies are enjoying running a café called The Cackleberry Club; not only do they serve delicious breakfasts and lunches, but have a book room and a knitting nook. They certainly are a hub of activity for their small town. As in any small town, there are rivalries, but who would believe they involve not only mischief, but murder.
Susan Edmondson
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is another great book in the series. I enjoyed that all of the main characters are women that I can relate to. Suzanne stumbles on a body and has to find out who did it. Along the way we get to tag along with her antics and the others at the Cackleberry Club. As always the book includes some great recipes to try out.
Rebecca
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book to be just a lot of fun. The characters are engaging, and I wasn't able to guess the villain until the very last moment. There are some really good recipes in the back of the book, and since I have a weakness for cozy mysteries that have cats, recipes, or are set in whatever state I am living in, this is right up my alley. Out of 11 recipes, there are 6 that I MUST try!
Margaret
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I read this book in the past. Or maybe I am just noticing a similarity to any of the more than a dozen books I have read by this prolific author. Either way, a slapdash but very readable mystery. With recipes that look both delicious and fairly simple.
Isaiah Vianese
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Eggs Benedict Arnold has a strong start but the end falls flat. The charm of the book is Suzanne's friendship with the other Cackleberry Club owners, Toni and Petra. Some of the food details are enticing as well, but the overall plotting leaves something to be desired.
Beth
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the 2nd book in the series. Each character is developing to be quite likable and it makes the book like visiting friends. The murderer was a little harder to peg although it was clear before the “reveal”. Awaiting the next installment
Marnie
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining and yummy!
Julie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I was disappointed with the sudden ending with a villain with no clue for the reader.
Gale Wilkinson
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying another Laura Childs series. This was a great read. Great character interaction and great plot.
Lyn Soulia smith
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a great cast of characters. I feel like a part of the story as they go along. Love laugh out loud areas and the light fun heart lines of these women.
Diane Hernandez
Mar 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: requests
This book is a light mystery. I read the previous book in the series so I picked this one up to read next. This book was poorly plotted. The mystery was solved almost on the last page without any clues to the murderer's identity beforehand. It seemed like the author just randomly selected a minor character within the book to create a surprise ending. There was only a scant explanation of motive and it made little sense. A poisoned cake is served to someone in the final 20 pages but none of the c ...more
Catherine
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book.
When Cackleberry Clubber Suzanne delivers a pie to funeral director Ozzie Driesden, she discovers him not working at the embalming table but lying on the embalming table. She barely has time to recognize his corpse before she's drugged with chloroform. With more suspects than breakfast specials, the Cackleberry Club scrambles to crack the case before one of their own ends up six feet under.
Loraine
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
When Cackleberry Clubber Suzanne delivers a pie to funeral director Ozzie Driesden, she discovers him not working at the embalming table but lying on the embalming table. She barely has time to recognize his corpse before she?s drugged with chloroform. With more suspects than breakfast specials, the Cackleberry Club scrambles to crack the case before one of their own ends up six feet under.

I have to say I was really torn by this book. I have read several of Laura Child's cozy mysteries and reall
Mason
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Three independent ladies in the town of Kindred ban together to open the Cackleberry Club Café where they serve up delicious dishes while solving crimes.

Suzanne, Petra, and Toni operate the café, which also features a Book Nook and a Knitting Nest. Suzanne’s husband recently passed away, Petra has lost her husband to Alzheimer’s Disease, and Toni’s womanizing husband has left her (again).

In the quiet town of Kindred the ladies stay busy serving dishes such as “Cackleberry Club Brown Sugar Meatl
 Gigi Ann
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this book October 11-15, 2010.

This is the first Cackleberry Club Mystery I have read. It's about a group of three women--Suzanne, Petra and Toni. Suzanne's husband recently passed away. Petra's husband has Alzheimer Disease, and Toni's womanizing husband has left her (again).

The cafe' also features a Book Nook and a Knitting Nest, which sounded like an interesting place to spend an afternoon. I would love to set in the Book Nook reading or in the Knitting Nest crocheting, I don't knit.

Suz
Michelle
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the second book in the Cackleberry Club mystery series. Suzanne goes to deliver a pie bought at a bake sale to funeral director Ozzie. She finds him on his own embalming table and is knocked out by an unknown assailant. When a friend who was the victim's girlfriend is suspected of the crime, Suzanne begins to investigate on her behalf. Is it the ex-husband of her friend, the mortuary partner, the obnoxious romance novel writer who wants to buy the property, a drug ring, or the corporate ...more
Lani
I enjoyed the first novel in this series enough to read this one but it was pretty bad. I thought maybe the annoyance of the killer in the first book was a fluke, but I didn't enjoy the outcome of this one either.

And I didn't enjoy the story as a whole either. It was pretty boring to be honest.

The first one mentioned feminism a lot and the women (mainly Toni) would call the Sheriff out when he was being misogynistic (i.e. "We're forty year old women, not girls."). But this one had a tiny bit a
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second in the series of the Cackleberry Club. Suzanne Dietz once again stumbles into a murder, this time the co-owner of the Funeral Home. When she tries to deliver a cherry pie to Ozzie, she finds his dead body sprawled out on the table in the embalming room and before she can check to see if he is dead, she is chloroformed. When she comes to, she finds out he is dead. Meanwhile, Toni is still trying to decide what to do about her deadbeat husband Junior. While trying to see if he i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Eggs Benedict Arnold 1 2 Sep 05, 2012 07:13PM

• Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Has a Sweet Tooth (A Cooking Class Mystery, #5)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #2)
  • The Diva Takes the Cake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #2)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard, #2)
  • Black Beans & Vice (A Supper Club Mystery, #6)
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)
  • Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2)
  • String of Lies (Craft Corner, #2)
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Eggsecutive Orders (A White House Chef Mystery, #3)
  • Dial Om for Murder (Mantra for Murder, #2)
  • A Wedding to Die For (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #2)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1)
Laura Childs is a pseudonym for Gerry Schmitt and she is the best-selling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, the Scrapbook Mysteries, and the Cackleberry Club Mysteries.

Laura Childs is the New York Times bestselling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, Scrapbook Mysteries, and Cackleberry Club Mysteries. In her previous life she was CEO/Creative Director of her own marketing firm and authored several

Cackleberry Club (8 books)
  • Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1)
  • Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #3)
  • Stake & Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #4)
  • Eggs in a Casket (Cackleberry Club, #5)
  • Scorched Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #6)
  • Egg Drop Dead (Cackleberry Club, #7)
  • Eggs on Ice (Cackleberry Club, #8)