Start by marking “Style on a Shoestring: Develop Your Cents of Style and Look Like a Million Without Spending a Fortune” as Want to Read:

Bag the bargains and glam it up--go from frumpy to fabulous style without wounding your wallet!

Everyone knows a woman who turns heads with her captivating style. Her clothes fit her body perfectly, her use of color is compelling, her shoes are to die for, and her accessories make her whole outfit pop with panache. Is she a fashion-industry insider? A millionaire? If she's
Published April 1st 2009 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Style on a Shoestring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Style on a Shoestring

Maria
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I don't know why I'm persisting with these style books...possibly been watching too much of TLc's What not to wear. I think I got tricked into buying this, didn't read too much in detail- I just did a search for Clinton Kelly and this was the first pop-up but it's by another author. Totally my fault. Anyway there are some useful tidbits on color coordination, accessorizing etc. but still not worth it. Note to self: no more style guides!
Michelle
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fashion
This is the nitty-gritty of the fashion world: when to buy things, how fashion works, why certain things cost more and look better than others.

It lacks color pictures, photos: it was literally produced on a shoestring, so don't go in with the expectation of glossy pictures and color swatches.

Read this to get a better understanding of how the world of fashion works and use that knowledge to get better prices, better fit, and a better style!
Lena
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
It's a good book for getting an idea of some guidelines to follow, even if the definition of style is limiting (no graphic tees! style means trying to look as feminine as possible!) and the style was beyond grating.

The eyeroll was strong with this one, with phrases like:

ripe with the power of femininity and volcanic with the bubbling of creative flair just under the surface.

Femininity is the greatest power we have. In fact, it is the most powerful thing in the universe, it comes in all shapes an
Cori
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My wardrobe is slim pickin's on the best of days. The horrible part about being 5'9" and recently losing over 40lbs is that I officially have nothing to wear and I hate shopping for new stuff because it is so hard to get a good fit on my frame. Since I've been on leave, I've kept to casual basics and I have lots of jeans and hoodies to get me by. Unfortunately, my impending return to work in May has me shaking in my boots (well, not really - my boots ARE actually work appropriate). As I am plott ...more
Amy
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this little gem. While I am not planning to overthrow my wardrobe for the sophisticated wardrobe she writes about, I will take some ideas. Here's one: richer looking colors (darker colors, but not black) look better and well, richer, on us. I looked into my closet and all I see is pastels (pinks and blues) and lots of black. She recommends not wearing black (at least not as a top) and not buying pale, paste colors. I am always drawn to them. And then I think of people I know with great ...more
Anna
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion, nonfiction
Fashion books without pictures to help illustrate concepts are normal something that I avoid. However, I was in a hurry and picked this book up as part of a large stack from the library. I am so glad that I did. There are some great tips, many of which I hadn't heard before. The duct tape bra tip alone is worth reading this book. The only thing that I really had a hard time with was the way in which the author kept referring to breast as "boobies." It was ridiculous. As a grown woman trying to g ...more
Melanie
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
On a rash of fashion reading, I picked this one up. Some good solid tips about how to buy affordable clothing that looks more expensive -- fit is the most important element, and something I strive for in my own sewing. She has definite ideas about the "right" way to look stylish, some of which I don't agree with, and the writing style was infinitely irritating -- way too many chirpy asides, repeated over and over.

But overall, it was not a bad read, and would certainly be of interest to many who
Cynthia
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, interesting
Andy Paige is clearly an expert on clothing, therefore she has written this wonderful book. The most appealing point of reading this book is the mark-down-calendar dates! Some examples would be buying boots in January, Winter white in february, luggage in april, and oh so much more. I agree that there was a lack in editing, although that made the book seem oh so much more interesting to read. She gives the basics for what every woman should know. Really :D
Lisa White
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Although there are some very useful pointers in this book, I found that the author was very rigid in her view of what constituted a stylish outfit. Rather than directing a woman to develop her own unique style, I felt there was a "my way or the highway" feel to achieving a style. It was too cookie cutter for me. With that said, there was good information to be gleaned between the rants: the importance of support wear and the timing of sales. That was worth the Kindle price!
Tara
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
3.75 stars. There is a lot of useful information on how clothes should fit from the point of view from someone who actually sews. I like how she makes the reader feel good about what they have, no matter what age they are or size they are. I found some good tips on when to buy what and when.

In a nutshell: This is how to look great with what your mamma gave ya without having to go into debt or sell crack.
Becca
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
My sister gave this to me, I think to drop subtle hints. That being said, I read it and enjoyed it. First off, it was nice to learn that I follow about 75% of her suggestions; my main problems being accessories (shoes, jewelry, bags, etc). Second, just the general tips on how to get the best jeans and making sure a button shirt fit are great. You know a shirt doesn't fit you well, but now you can understand why! Anyhow, I enjoyed it. If anything it motivated me enhance my wardrobe.
Elizabeth
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction
This book is a straight forward look at fashion and how to shop.
She covers some of the basics of timeless fashion. She explains how to make sure garments fit well. She explains the difference between designer and budget clothing. She gives a calendar of when to buy what sort of item and where to find good bargains. She even goes over cleaning out your closet. Overall it was a good book.
Cat Kwiatkowski
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ladies, pick up this book! It has timeless fashion advice, including how to handle fit and small alterations. If you need anymore incentive, pick it up to find out how to properly fit a bra to yourself. Trust me, it's a 95% certainty that a store is measuring you wrong to make a sale, and this book will tell you the truth.
Elizabeth
Nov 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: style
I've been dipping my toe into the fashion blog world and decided to read a book on the subject of style. Easy read that I almost finished while waiting at the Dr's office.
Plenty of useful advice for the fashion clueless, though as with any advice you need to sift through the obvious and the comments that doe not apply to you.
Lisa
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Great book to help with organizing wardrobe. I used it to get back to basics and have a closet that works for me where I am at this point in life. A lot of great thrifty style tips and the best time to shop for best bargains.
Susan
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This has some very smart ideas
Romany
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: frugalism, fashion
I've read a million of these, but I found this one quite accessible and illustrative of the kind of 'style' I like best. It probably won't suit everyone, but I loved it.
Diana
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty funny and informative. I busted out laughing several times while reading it.
Maggie Davis
May 03, 2016
Carol Saddoris
Apr 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget & Save You Time
  • Branded Beauty
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • Fashion: A Very Short Introduction
  • How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • In Fashion: From Runway to Retail, Everything You Need to Know to Break Into the Fashion Industry
  • Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined
  • Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour
  • Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights
  • The Magic Lamp: Goal Setting for People Who Hate Setting Goals
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • The Little Black Book of Style
  • Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style
  • Perfumes: The Guide
  • The Original Beauty Bible: Skin Care Facts for Ageless Beauty
  • The Pocket Stylist
  • Ugly Beauty: Helena Rubinstein, L'Oreal, and the Blemished History of Looking Good