Start by marking “The Obsolete Man” as Want to Read:
The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
James Duran no longer fits in the world. At forty-five years old, his wife has left him, and his job as a pre-press technician was not just downsized, it was completely eliminated.

With no reason to stay in the world, James makes plans to jump in front of the train that took him to work every day for twenty-five years. But before he does, he’s finally going to introduce hi
Published March 2009 by Amber Quill Press/ Amber Allure

To ask other readers questions about The Obsolete Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Obsolete Man

Daisiemae
This book was pretty short. It's only about 58 pages or so. For such a short story, it had a pretty serious plot. Too me, it's a solid 3.5 stars, but I'll bump it up to 4 because I DID like it better than just 3.

James Duran has decided to end his life. At 45, he has lost everything. His wife, his job and somewhere down the line he has lost himself in the process. Tired of being unhappy, he plans to be bold and do things he wants, but was afraid to the day before he schedules his suicide. Making
Yuu Sasih
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
2,5 stars

Actually this is a good premise for a story. James, who had lost his mediocre job at a publisher company and wife at the same time, felt like his life was worthless and decided to end his life in a train he usually took to his office. Felt like he could do anything for the last time, he braved himself to confront the man who always took the same train with him everyday, the man who got his attention from the first time he set his eyes on him. He decided that he would have Chad company f
Kati
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A short, but deeply moving story about a man who decides to commit suicide - but first, he wants to talk to the gorgeous guy who rides on the same train with him every morning. A good portion of this ebook consists of sex, slightly kinky one to that, but it's not a PWP. John, the obsolete man, is such a likable character that some parts of his story, his loneliness, his despair, moved me to tears, literally. On the other hand, the description of the happiness that he finds with Chad, the gorgeou ...more
Jimmy Hanson
Apr 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, m-m
Kind of bland and pretty predictable, this short story held the possibility of a lot of promise. From the idea, it could have gone in many different ways - all unique, and all good.

The only true upside is the chemistry between Chad and James. The sex scene[s:] were spot-on, and left me wanting more.

I would have enjoyed a scene or two where Chad worked through the truth of James and his suicide attempt, or a bit more emotion and conflict within James himself over the end of his life.

A decent rea
Michael
This short story packs a lot in it's limited space.

Other reviewers have already summed up the story but I'd like to add a comment.

One of the best things about this story is that it grips you until the very end. The character of James may be about to take his own life by jumping in front of a train...will he or won't he? Each page turned is like that approaching train. Can James be saved?
Kira
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m

So, this is a fast read, extremely angsty and you don't really know how it's going to end, which is good. You hope for the positive ending but are afraid of the negative. That's all I'm really going to say. A nice read indeed.
OkayKim
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this a 4.5
Even though it had a dark theme, it just goes to show that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Things work out, if allowed, and this just isn't fiction when it comes to real life!
Pepper, this one needs a follow-up!
Julia
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought the writing was really good, the plot was sad and sweet and kept me interested. I would probably call it erotica, but at the same time, none of the sex felt forced or out of place. Very well done. I really enjoyed this quick read.
Alina
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-romance
2.5

Entirely too short to deal with the subject matter (extreme depression, desire for suicide) appropriately.
Kristy Maitz
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Story plot is to short to gave the book 5 stars but even so its full of emotions and reason to just not giving up.
Rod
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Unbelievably good for a short story. Takes you on a story where unlikely risks lead to a chance of redemption.
Arzu
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a nice quick read I really liked!!
Charles
Nov 22, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked the story, unfortunatly it was too short :(

The dialoge was funny
Lenore
For such a short read, this was surprisingly good. Simple but not seeking to be anything more than that. Beautiful.
Aleksandr Voinov
Nice one. I enjoyed this.
Luke
Aug 27, 2013
Laura M
Jul 24, 2011
Jnet1999
rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2010
  • Furtive Liaison
  • Easy
  • The French Have a Word for It
  • Bound to Him
  • Sacking the Quarterback (Campus Cravings, #3)
  • Bring The Heat
  • Daybreak (Eight Nights #2)
  • Letting In the Light
  • One More Soldier
  • In a Wolf's Eyes
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O'Shaughnessys #2)
  • When Love Comes Back Around
  • Get What You Need
  • After Dark (After, #1)
Pepper Espinoza has published several books with Liquid Silver Books, including The Zebra Wore Fishnets and The Zebra Wore Red Stockings, Amber Quill Press, Whiskey Creek Press, and Samhain Publishing. She currently lives in Utah with her husband and two cats. She hopes to complete her Masters degree in Literature in May, 2008.

Ms. Espinoza also collaborates with Vivien Dean, and they publish as Ja
More about Pepper Espinoza...