Start by marking “Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant, #2)

Tyrant: Storm of Arrows

(Tyrant #2)

Kineas must challenge the man he once worshipped in the second entry in the Tyrant series

Published January 22nd 2009 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about Tyrant, please sign up.
Shades It's been awhile since I read this series but if I remember correctly I think this one you could get away with reading without the first one - you…moreIt's been awhile since I read this series but if I remember correctly I think this one you could get away with reading without the first one - you miss out on some character development but the glossary in the front of the book and the early chapters should let you pick up the plot. I would suggest reading the first one before continuing with the 3rd book though. (less)

Mr. Matt
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Kineas and his companions are back. Alexander the Great is smarting from his captain's defeat and vows to subdue the Eastern Scythians on the Sea of Grass. Kineas and Srayanka - his Western Scythian woman - have vowed to aid their Eastern allies. And so begins an epic trek across the Ancient World.

Again, the author captures the feel of the ancient world. The distances involved are staggering. Crossing from Crimea to the Caspian sea is an unbelievable journey. Cameron captures the spirit of this
George Parsons
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable read, the deeper you get into the story the more you want. The detail on tactics is great, and the ending leaves you wanting more of the same. Highly recommended, now for his next one..
Kd
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hate it when the hero dies

I think Cameron appreciates this (reader's aversion for the hero fallen) so he invests heavily in presenting it's inevitability. I am curious as to the author's own religiosity - it takes more than just a mindset of fantasy to weave a tome so rich in spiritual intervention guiding the leader so consequentially...
I challenge Cameron to try a tome on David, son of Jesse, conqueror of Goliath of Gath
Nick
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Was Alexander's army ever beaten? Apparently so, by the Sycthians with the aid of some Greek heroes lead by Kineas.
Finely detailed portrait of the warriors who turned back the 'monster' at the Jaxartes river.
Chris F
This was not in my view as good as the first in the series. The thing that spoilt it somewhat for me was the main character's frequent dreams about his impending death. I found the dreams boring and just an interruption to an otherwise interesting story.
Clay Kallam
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled into this six-book series by way of one of my favorite recent fantasy series, the Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron. I noticed that, for some unknown reason, Cameron also wrote under the name of Christian Cameron, and had a series set in the time of Alexander the Great.

As one who knows way too much about that Hellenistic time period, and one who loved Cameron’s previous work, I was all in from the moment I started volume one, Tyrant. And as this is a connected series that really need
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful and thrilling book is the 2nd volume of the fascinating and exciting Tyrant series.
Again the book has been thoroughly researched historically, for it gives us a well explained historical note as well as an informative author's note, and not to forget at the beginning a well defined glossary and maps.
The storytelling is once more of a superb quality, for it brings vividly to life the beautiful as well as the brutal world of the Ancient Greeks and their immediate surroundings.
This b
David
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book, in a cafe, with tears in my eyes. The waitress looked at me strangely. What a book, what a series, what an author. I’ve read at least a dozen of Christian’s books now, and such a great turn of phrase. You are now my favorite author, surpassing the great Bernard C. Thank you!! Please keep writing.
Rebecca
First things first... I'm in shock about the ending! It'll be interesting to see where the series goes from that. I'm glad there are maps provided too, as my knowledge of ancient European/Asian societies and tribes is rather basic. I liked the story though and will now try and find the next one.
Dean
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anything Christian Cameron writes is going to be freaking fantastic!!!!!! Ancient Greeks, Macedonians, Spartans, Skytheins and of course Alexander the Great, what more can you ask for except lots of action to top it off!!
Brent Morrison
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Didn't like it quite as much as the first, but that's not unusual. Still liking the series overall.
MpaulM
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Picked up books one and two for basically free and I thought I would like them because of my love for ancient history. Just not my style reading historical fiction. Back to the classics:-)
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review is from: Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant 2)
Kineas, the Athenian cavalry commander, has come a long way since being dismissed from the army of Alexander and vengefully exiled by his own city. Together, his mercenary force and their Scythian allies have defeated a mighty Macedonian army at the Ford of the River God, and his adopted city of Olbia is now free once more. But his destiny will not allow him to enjoy the fruits of victory for long. Far to the east, at the farthest edge of th
Jerry Bennett
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book immediately after finishing Tyrant, and found it a really good sequel. I will definitely be reading the others in the series. It was an easy book to "visualise" with good descriptions of the landscape and the buildings in which it is set. The story never flags in any way, and the one slight downside is keeping in touch with the "second tier" of characters, some of whom tend to disappear for several chapters before re-emerging, and if you are reading the book at irregular interva ...more
Venetia Green
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fantastic depth of research, great characterisation, but a plot that lacks forward movement throughout most of the book.
I found Tyrant quite slow going for much of the first half, mainly because of an overall lack of plot motivation, i.e. it is never really clear why the hero Kineas and his friends/allies head east with the Scythians to combat Alexander at the Jaxartes. Without any such driving reason/conflict, there is little ongoing suspense or questions I desired answers to. Towards the end
Stefan
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Tyrant: Storm of Arrows is the second book in an excellent series of historical novels. Christian Cameron has made good use of details, mental imagery, narrative, dialogue, plot, and setting to vividly bring to life the ancient world of Alexander the Great and his empire. This story continues where Tyrant left off, and is in a number of ways, better then its predecessor. Storm of Arrows is a powerful, exciting, and fascinating epic tale because the author writes in such a readable and engaging m ...more
Ruth
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Ron Decaigny
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion there are a few great Historical fiction series that really tie you up in the times and characters being portrayed, Cornwalls Aurthirian trilogy, Gemmells Troy trilogy come to mind. Camerons Tyrant series easily ranks with these. No stereotyped characters to be found here, everyone is well drawn with a complete individual personality. I really like these people. I am usually put off by fantasy but the use of "the dream tree" worked for me as well. The author being Canadian hits a b ...more
Liam
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't know what it is about historical fiction but nothing drives me to read it, but once I get started I really enjoy it. I've picked up two of Christian's books now and they are fantastic. The level of detail is amazing with out getting bogged down in a Homeric description of tabards and spears. If you're a bit on the fence about historical fiction pick up one of the Tyrant series and get in 25 pages. You'll enjoy it.
nigel jones
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Story

This book has everything ,characters that are exciting and full of life. The story is well written and easy to follow. One of the problems with e.books is the difficulty to refer back to the maps at the start and this can get you lost. The large number of Greek characters and pronunciation can also be hard work at times other than those small criticisms it was a great story so full of life and death. Look forward to the next book.
Mark
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
So close to being a 5 star book. the ONLY thing I didn't like about the book is it's portrayal of Alexander. While Alexander possesses many, many, many. many great qualities, I admit he did have some flaws (hubris, egomania, etc). Storm of Arrows only shows Alexander's negative qualities. It failed to show any of the things that made Alexander, ...well,.... Great!
David
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book continues to mantain the incredible and fast reading pace that the first one had. As you approach to Kineas fate you want the Gods to change destiny but at the same time you can't stop reading.
I have to say though that I found some of the dreams Kineas had a little long, but despite that, the book amazed me!
Joseph Sellors
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another sterling effort from Cameron, who ranks among my favourite historical fiction authors. His ability to create strong characters and an atmosphere, especially during battle scenes is second to none. Indeed the book only fails to gain 5 stars due to its slow start. Nevertheless, I look forward to the next book in the series.
Brian
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While I was still distracted by my TV binging and work, I enjoyed this second novel in the series a lot more than the first. I need a break from historical fiction, but I will definitely be reading the rest of the series in the not-too-distant future.
Katie Boggs
Nov 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Not Cameron's best work...but I was completely immersed in the plot and couldn't stop reading. The character Philokles is one of the most 3-dimensional characters I have ever met in a book and fascinates me. I'm looking forward to continuing the series.
Liviu

A very powerful conclusion to the first part of the series (now scheduled to go 5 not 3 as I thought); the author site has a lot of information about the books and their setting as well as some short stories set both before and after these two volumes. I am eagerly awaiting the next installment.
Fenella Miller
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Tyrant series and I enjoyed it almost as much as the first one. It wasn't quite as good as the first book but I was so invested in the characters and it helped me to the last page. However, I do admit that there were passages I skipped in order to get on with story.
Paul Bennett
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
full review of this riveting tale coming soon :-)
Jerome
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyed it...entertaining...but I still like Mary Renault and Peter Green more. Christian Cameron's portrayal of Alexander and his companions didn't convince me.
Pete
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it

Same as last book ,it only really gets moving about half way through. But still enjoyed it.
Goodreads Librari...: Adding a short story to Series 7 25 Jan 16, 2016 01:31PM

• Fortress of Spears (Empire, #3)
  • Lion of the Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • Avenger of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #3)
  • The Invasion of Gaul (Marius' Mules, #1)
  • False God of Rome (Vespasian, #3)
  • Praetorian (Eagle, #11)
  • The Legate's Daughter
  • The Bleeding Land (Bleeding Land Trilogy #1)
  • Over the Wine-Dark Sea (Hellenic Traders, #1)
  • Land of the Sacred Fire (Legionary, #3)
Aka Miles Cameron. Also publishes as Gordon Kent with his father Kenneth M. Cameron.

Christian Cameron was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1962. He grew up in Rockport, Massachusetts, Iowa City, Iowa,Christian Cameron and Rochester, New York, where he attended McQuaid Jesuit High School and later graduated from the University of Rochester with a degree in history.

After the longest undergraduate

Tyrant (6 books)
  • Tyrant (Tyrant, #1)
  • Tyrant: Funeral Games (Tyrant, #3)
  • King of the Bosporus (Tyrant, #4)
  • Tyrant: Destroyer of Cities (Tyrant, #5)
  • Tyrant: Force of Kings (Tyrant #6)