Start by marking “A Spark of Heavenly Fire” as Want to Read:
A Spark of Heavenly Fire

A Spark of Heavenly Fire

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In quarantined Colorado, where hundreds of thousands of people are dying from an unstoppable disease called the red death, insomniac Kate Cummings struggles to find the courage to live and to love. This is a story of survival in the face of brutality, government cover-up, and public hysteria. It is also a story of love: lost, found and fulfilled.
Published May 8th 2009 by Indigo Sea Press (first published November 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Spark of Heavenly Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spark of Heavenly Fire

Karen
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A spark of heavenly fire.
The red death epidemic has hit the state of Colorado and there is a quarantine and Marshall law. Along with merely staying alive; three women manage to thrive and show how strong they really are in the face of adversity. Kate, Dee and Pippy show what it takes to get through the worst. That indeed is a spark of heavenly fire. Kate and Dee work tirelessly to provide for the homeless and a purpose and merely try to save people. Pippy, miles from home must find a way to get
Bonnie Toews
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Pat Bertram is an author who portrays in-depth characters dealing with catrastophic mayhem in twisted tales of suspense and adventure. For new authors wanting to learn how to write good mysteries, A SPARK OF HEAVENLY FIRE is a study on its own.
Glenda Bixler
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: reviewed-books
This is an absolutely amazing book!

I was blown away with her first book that I read, Daughter Am I, but thought I now knew a little about this writer...not so! A Spark of Heavenly Fire...surprising, exciting, realistic, scary, and wonderful all at the same time...

OK, here's the basic storyline...

Kate Cummings works at a clinic, where she is the first to talk to patients, finding out why they are there and gathering information from them. On a personal level, she has lost a loved one and finding
Aaron Lazar
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Who says you can't squeeze romance into a thriller? And while you're at it, how about weaving in a deeply moving story about human redemption?

Author Pat Bertram says you can. And she'll convince you before you can say chimera - the lethal combination of virus, bacterium, fungus, and human genes that causes the rapid spread of the "red death," a bio-engineered weapon threatening the entire state of Colorado.

Kate Cummings is trying to deal with the loss of her husband, who drove his car off a moun
Sheila
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
I tried using Google today. I wanted to find the author of some half-remembered books that I enjoyed as a teenager. And amazingly enough I succeeded. It seems even I can successfully ask ill-defined questions of the internet and get a well-defined answer.

The author’s name is John Creasy, and I loved all his books, but the ones I was trying to remember were the Dr. Palfrey series. They were among my first “adult” borrowings from the local library when I was a kid. I couldn’t believe real grown-up
Linda
At the beginning, the state of Colorado was where 'Red Death' was set in motion. One minute, everything was normal. Then the unthinkable happens: a sweeping infectious monstrosity spreads rapidly. Within a few days, the area was cut off and its citizens were cloistered. Gas was at a premium, food was worth killing for and family member was pit against family member. Humanity had sunk to an all-time low.

Kate Cummings was a 42 year-old childless widow. She witnessed the spread of the disease when
Dellani Oakes
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kate Cummings works in a medical clinic as a patient advocate. Since the death of her husband, she's led a quiet, uneventful life. All that changes when a jogger in the park falls on her, hemorrhages and dies. This event is strange enough, but when the same symptoms appear in a woman at the clinic, Kate realizes that something more is going on.

At the park, Kate meets Greg Pullman, a reporter for the newspaper. He's somewhat younger than she, but they click on many different levels. When his fian
Charlotte
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not a bad story...but but but. I love post-apocolyptic stories - but a common mistake authors fall into with it is to immediately lose the sense of horror - their characters hardly react to dead bodies piling up around them - Bertram did this from the get-go. And this book was so badly edited that it is astonishing. Someone made the author chop this up without any concern for the reader's ability to follow the story and understand the characters...fortunately, I didn't care enough about any of t ...more
Pat Bertram
Mar 27, 2009 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
In quarantined Colorado, where hundreds of thousands of people are dying from an unstoppable disease called the red death, insomniac Kate Cummings struggles to find the courage to live and to love. Her new love, investigative reporter Greg Pullman, is determined to discover who unleashed the deadly organism and why they did it, until the cost — Kate’s life — becomes more than he can pay.
Second Wind Publishing
A flu-like plague, the Red Death, of apocalyptic proportions descends on Denver and the state of Colorado. This is a story of survival in the face of brutalty, governmental cover-up and public hysteria. It's also a story of love: lost, found and fulfilled. Gripping, exhilarating, terrifying and exciting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pat Bertram is the author of the suspense novels MADAME ZEEZEE'S NIGHTMARE, UNFINISHED, LIGHT BRINGER, DAUGHTER AM I, MORE DEATHS THAN ONE, and A SPARK OF HEAVENLY FIRE. Bertram is also the author of GRIEF: THE GREAT YEARNING, “an exquisite book, wrenching to read, and at the same time full of profound truths.”
More about Pat Bertram...