Start by marking “Byline: Ernest Hemingway: Selected Articles” as Want to Read:
Byline: Ernest Hemingw...

Ernest Hemingway

Byline: Ernest Hemingway: Selected Articles

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  488 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Four decades of Hemingway's journalism and reportage from Europe and the Far East.
Paper
Published by Scribner's (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Byline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Byline

Giórgos
αν δεν σας αρέσει το ψάρεμα, το κυνήγι, η ταυρομαχία, η απόβαση στις ακτές της νορμανδίας - ο έρνεστ με λίγα λόγια - δεν γίνεται να μη σας αρέσει ο έρνεστ!
Charles
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will get to all of Hemingway someday and I think the fact that he’s been dead over 50 years (’62) and I am still learning about him make him an incredible literary and historical figure. This book got good reviews, was on Audible and of course is about Papa, so I was in.

There are way too many articles for me to talk about each one. So instead I’ll give thoughts on each time period that is covered here (its over 4 decades and 5 parts).

Part 1:

This is a young Hemingway taking place 1920-1924. Wh
Bill
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short non-fiction prose gems many from 1920's Europe on socio-political-economic observation of post WW I culture; the best on fly-fishing, bull-fighting, food, and money.
Simon Kearney
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this anthology. I wasn't going to read it again, one or two, but I couldn't stop.
Hemingway's journalism informed many of his fictional stories and they are damned good pieces of writing. I read it with a mixture of admiration and jealousy. The second has stayed in my mind from the first reading, it's about free things and Hemingway gets a free shave from the beginners at the barber's academy in Toronto. Then he gets a tooth pulled at the dentistry school, which is something I did when I
Dane Cobain
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let’s face it, we all know that Ernest Hemingway is a phenomenal writer, but this book here is what proves it. See, he started work as a journalist nearly 100 years ago, and the first piece of work in this collection is dated March 1920, a piece on a free shave by an apprentice barber in Toronto. It was journalism which paved the way for Hemingway’s literary career, and this book collects together 75 articles written over the course of 35 years.

As you can imagine, it’s a fascinating read, and no
Margaret Elder
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The older I become, and the more I read the writings of Hemingway, the better I like him. This collection of his published newspaper and magazine articles came to my attention after reading another work about World War II. His essay on fighting in Hurtgen Forest was mentioned in that book, and I knew he was embedded with my Dad's unit during that battle. I really only expected to read that one essay and perhaps scan a few more, but I ended up reading all of them. Some were funny, and I had never ...more
Brian Page
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ambition must be a cruel mistress. Hemingway didn’t seem to put much stock in his journalistic work. The sort of writing in this book filled the time between his literary pieces. Yet, had he never written a word of fiction, these stories would show him as a master all on their own. The articles and dispatches are brilliantly written; and, dare I say it, I like them even better than his novels. This is prose so beautiful that it will take your breath away or bring tears to your eyes.
Eclectic Indulgence
Many parts deserve four stars and if you want to learn some great things about writing, you can do so here better than most places (IMO)
Diane Drake
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m a huge Ernest Hemingway fan. Okay, sure, there’s the philandering and the alcoholism, the excessive machismo and wild animal slaughter (special condolences to the bulls of Spain, the elephants of Africa and the marlins in the Gulf Stream. Though, on balance, he did seem to quite adore his kitty cats.) Regardless, then there is the writing, and that’s the only reason we care about any of the rest of it.

So I was excited when, years ago, I happened across this collection of articles he wrote wh
Thomas Nelson
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Hemingway, you'll like this. He is telling his daily life struggles and meanderings in a 'Reporter' Style. He was after all a 'Toronto Star Weekly' contributing writer. The books span is from 1920 thru to 1956. He writes from all over the World, France, Spain, Africa, Havana, etc. His adventures and his language fit another age, long before Political Correctness. If you are offended by hunting of big game or Bull Fighting, this book may give you pause.
Dane Cobain
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

As you can imagine, it’s a fascinating read, and no
J. Dolan
Hemingway may have been born a macho jerk, and by the time the world started calling him Papa, as bitter and on his way to nuttiness as a fruit pit. But boy, could he live! And write!
Both are evident throughout By-Line, a collection of dispatches he penned for various newspapers and magazines from 1920 to 1956. No matter their age, though, there is a verve, a freshness to the best of them that has to rank him with, if not above, the most adept adventure/travel/war/human-interest journalists of t
Theresa Glover
This was another literature class read, but one worth of at least a few comments about it. I expected to incur eye-rolling headaches, or perhaps attacks of mid-homework ninja sleep that tend to accompany dry writing/reading. Instead, what I found was a deeper appreciation of Ernest Hemingway's skills, and a deep sadness in the changes to journalism. While there were some passages that took effort to get through (usually related to the subject matter at hand), I was pleased to discover that I enj ...more
Barnaby Thieme
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This is an outstanding selection of Hemingway's professional newspaper and magazine articles. Many of them deal with culture, geopolitics, and conditions in Europe from the 1920s through the end of World War II, with special attention on the rise of fascism in Italy and Spain and the conflict between Japan and China.

Hemingway gives a ground-level narrative of history as only he can, chronicling the Spanish Civil War and advocating a dubious position (with the benefit of hindsight) of isolationi
Abhishek
Hemingway's writing can at times feel a little tense; a little self-conscious, what with him trying to write "the truest sentence" that he knows. So in this regard his articles and dispatches from the 20's to the 50's are refreshingly relaxed in tone. Sure, his sentences still bear his hallmark succinctness allowing him to recount details with clarity but without feeling "strained."

I was primarily interested in his writing on the civil war in Spain and his coverage of the second world war, which
Bistra Ivanova
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, history
Отдавна я бях чела, този път - подробно и внимателно за една курсова работа - с фокус военните текстове. Повечето хора познават Хемингуей преди всичко като белетрист, а той през целия си живот е бил тясно обвързан с журналистиката - бил е репортер, кореспондент и фрийленсър (есета, пътеписи, etc); последните му две жени също са били знаменити журналистки. Наистина смятам, че всеки, който се занимава с медии, трябва да прочете тази книга. Хемингуей слага фокусът върху това да погледнеш човека в о ...more
Amir Dov
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I read on Europe before, during and after WW II. The reason I found it so interesting is that it gives you a completely different experience to read news articles that were actually written during that time, rather than historical books that were written a couple of decades later about that time. Hemingway did not have the benefit of knowing how everything ended and then writing in retrospect. He was reporting from different parts of the world almost on a daily basis, so yo ...more
Anglotopia
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent look at Hemingway's other life as a foreign correspondent - a career that provided ample material for his fiction works. The selected articles here provide an interesting insight into daily life and the geopolitics of the first half of the 20th century. Reading this book really makes you wish we still had journalists who could write like this. Some of the articles are rather banal and uninteresting, but they are few and far between. I've often said that Hemingway is best enj ...more
Wilson Trivino
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ernest Hemingway penned some of the best known works in literature. This story captures a voice of his time. However before he was able to put these masterpieces down on paper, he had to horn his craft. In By-Line: Ernest Hemingway: Selected Articles and Dispatches of Four Decades Edited by William White, the reader is able to peak into Hemingway’s daily work before he put together a large comprehensive work.
These stories read like blog post and are observational, intuitive, and captures a flav
John Stepper
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must for any Hemingway fan as it provides material you may have never otherwise seen. Some of it is from his early 20s, some when he was already famous and reporting World War II. Some are fishing and hunting stories for magazines like Esquire.

If you're like me, you won't like every article. But, as a whole, they let you see his development as a writer while also letting you contrast his approach to reporting from his approach to books.

Reading them all, one at a sitting, was a real treat.
Jeff
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m still working my way through the library of Ernest Hemingway’s books. In the last 2 weeks I listened to “The Short Stories: Volume I” which includes “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” and yesterday I finished “A Moveable Feast.” Now I’m currently on Hemingway’s “By-Line” which has many of the stories he published as a journalist for the Toronto Star as well as various magazines and other periodicals. What a fascinating life he led. After I’ve finished most his major works I must write in more detail ...more
Riley
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No surprise, some of these Hemingway pieces were very good, and some, not so much. I found the ones from World War II on strangely sad, as Hemingway increasingly because of caricature of the image of himself -- whether as the heroic war correspondent, or the hard-drinking and fearless big-game and big-fish sportsman. With the hindsight of his 1961 suicide, it is hard not to find something elegiac about the joie de vivre some of those later writings try to present.
John
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In contrast to Hem's novels, this collection of articles is often light and laugh-out-loud funny. Of course there is scathing sarcasm and abundant stories about shooting and fishing. Some of his political writing is worth skipping and some of his hypotheses about marlin (e.g., striped, white and blue are all one species)are simply wrong--yet, he is very readable and still the master of outdoor sports writing.
Justin
Oct 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
from a biased perspective (Hemingway being my favorite author), half the book is great. his observations of 1920s Europe and his times/experiences as an expat are the key to this book. his explanation of trout fishing, marlin fishing, whale fishing, bullfighting, antelope hunting, elephant hunting, lion hunting, etc., all with exhaustively exquisite detail, are why I think only half the book is great.
Kristen
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I think this is the book that I have, although mine is an old edition, probably one of the originals. I love it. More than Hemingway's fiction, his coverage of Europe during the wars is beautifully written and gives me such a sense of what it would have been like to live and work in that era. I can pick this one up and turn to any page and get caught up in the history and language that Hemingway captures beautifully.
Nicole Marble
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I listened to this book 2 years ago and found it boring.
Tried again and saw, or rather heard, something a bit different.
Hemingway was a fine reporter and put himself in Europe in the 1920's as the fuel of WWII was just organizing. And Hemingway noticed, and absorbed it and predicted that the extremists/activists of the 1920's could lead to war.
After that, and after success, he became quite full of himself - and that was VERY boring.
Meg
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in 20th century history
Recommended to Meg by: my son gave it to me
This is some of the best journalism it's been my privilege to read. He's a master at this craft and now, of course, it's a fascinating look at history. If you're at all interested in the Spanish Civil War, the reports from that conflict are useful, and interesting to compare to George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia."
Issaquah
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My edition looks different. It is a green/blue paperback.

This features what purports to contain the best of Hemingway's writing from his reporting. I have found that this greatly influenced my perception of France and Germany in between the wars. It features his brilliant writing describing these tough times.
Zardoz
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The book is divided into sections. My favorite were the Esquire articles and the After The Wars section.
If your new to Hemingway start elsewhere. His short stories perhaps.
For the true fanboy there are lots of intimate details of Papa's daily life. His account of the two planes crashes were very amusing.
Jason
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media, nonfiction, war
Much of Hemingway's stylistic and thematic features are present, especially in the later works, but it's hard to recommend reading this all at once. The essays themselves range from just OK to great, but this is likely for Hemingway completists only.
  • Hemingway
  • Masterpieces of Illumination: Codices Illustres the World's Most Famous Illuminated Manuscripts 400 to 1600
  • Portrait of Hemingway (Modern Library)
  • Hemingway: a Life Story
  • Doré's London: All 180 Illustrations from London, A Pilgrimage
  • The Best American Essays 2008
  • Selected Writings
  • The Everglades: River of Grass
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
More about Ernest Hemingway

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
    $13.99 $1.99
“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.” 74 likes
“All the passengers were crowded over on the landside of the ship, watching through the narrow windows the careened hulk of a freighter, visibly damaged by shellfire, which had driven ashore to beach her cargo. She lay aground, looking against the sand in that clear water like a whale with smokestacks that had come to the beach to die.” 2 likes