Start by marking “The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm” as Want to Read:
The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm

The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  443 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Still one of the immortals of children's literature - Professor Branestawm's continues to amuse generations of young readers.

The wonderfully nutty, fabulously entertaining mishaps of Professor Branestawm. He's madly sane and cleverly dotty. Professor Branestawm is the most absent-minded inventor you'll ever meet and no matter how hard he tries his brilliant ideas never see
Published September 4th 2008 by Bodley Head (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm

Alan
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-at-school
Miss Harrison, my temporary teacher in Junior 3 read this to us at the end of the day and I loved every minute of her readings of the whacky professor and his five pairs of spectacles and his coat done up with safety pins and his great inventions. I think Heath Robinson (hang on I'll check - yes) did the illustrations and Wikipedia have reminded me that the Professor invented a clock that didn't need winding up (this was the 30s)- 'but the omission of an important component ("I forgot to put a l ...more
Rhonda
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible serendipity! Being a strong bibliophile, just lately (I am a senior) have been acquiring as many children's classics I once knew and loved and re-reading them. I make the rounds weekly of every used bookseller within a few local towns. Having not previously been familiar with Professor Branestawm, and seeing this book in a shop once or twice before, took absolutely no particular notice. Now as a new Goodreads member, I've been scrolling through some reviews of children's books. Imagin ...more
Jemima Pett
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, mg, funny
I love the theory of Professor Branestawm - the nutty professor who gets into all sorts of scrapes when his inventions go wrong. The inventions, brought to life so beautifully by Heath Robinson, more or less lived up to my expectations. I don't know whether I'm a little jaded, or I really have lost my humur mojo, but I found some of the stories mildly amusing, more of them irritating, and a couple, just a couple, had me laughing out loud.

There are 14 incredible adventures, and I laughed at the P
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
How is it that this book has eluded me all my life? It should be in every library in the world. Yes, a worthy choice for 1001 Children’s Books You Must Read.

Professor Branestawm (his last name, I learned, is a homophone of the word “brainstorm”) is a classic absent-minded professor. The professor spends his days creating amazing inventions like a Spring-Cleaning Machine and an Elixir of Vitality and a Clock-That-Doesn’t-Need-Winding, always accompanied by his patient housekeeper Mrs. Flittersnoo
Jon Blake
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories possess a lovely logic whereby all the professor's inventions become Frankenstein monsters taking the Professor and Colonel Dedshott to places they would rather not go: I still have my battered old copy from the Sixties which I treasure as my favourite book from junior school days. Norman Hunter has certainly influenced my own writing, particularly my short stories where processes of degeneration abound. I wouldn't say Professor Branestawm is likely to greatly enrich anyone's emoti ...more
Alice
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, scifi, humour
Re-reading for a fanfic project. I had forgotten quite what a wizard of silliness Norman Hunter was, and how he can be hilariously funny using simple, childsize words and sentences.
Yorky Caz
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know this is a kiddies book but it was v entertaining!
Amber Scaife
Professor Branestawm is an absent-minded inventor who has five different pairs of glasses (at the same time) and gets into all sorts of crazy situations.
This one didn't do much for me. It seems like a bedtime story that a parent is making up haphazardly as he goes along, without much thought invested and while trying too hard to be silly.
Aljaž Podgornik
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-up
I just couldn't get into this book. I didn't find it funny, I didn't like the characters, I found it too random and I felt like I was wasting my time. I cannot say if all of the stories are like this, but because I have given up after the 3. story I can only rate this book a 1 star (reserved for books I didn't want to finish).
Henry
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not one for me in particular. I found the stories a little outdated and the slightly odd language he used at times made it distracting to follow.
Dorothea
I've had this book since I was a child and decided to re-read it when I realized that the illustrations are by W. Heath Robinson.

It was lovely to revisit these stories, especially "The Wild Waste-Paper" (Professor Branestawm invents an elixir of life, which the housekeeper, Mrs Flittersnoop, accidentally knocks over into his wastepaper basket), "The Professor Borrows a Book" (the Professor loses the copy of The Life and Likings of a Lobster from the library at Great Pagwell; checks out the Littl
Ana Rînceanu
The zany sense of humor really stood out in this delightful read for all.
Helen
As sometimes happens, a random conversation at work about lost glasses led to me talking about a book I'd read at school MANY years ago. I never forgot daft old Prof Branestawm and his five pairs of glasses, including one pair to help him find the other four. Maybe it was just the rose-colored hue of nostalgia, but I remembered having enjoyed the stories - first read to the class by a favorite teacher, then re-read for myself.
The conversation led me to look up Branestawm on the library catalogue
Helen
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-this
Loved this... with several exceptions. The first chapter "The Professor Invents A Machine" has the Professor & his friend Colonel Dedshott killing off people for a bit of sport. Then there is a cracking racist slur in Chapter 11 "Colonel Branestawm and Professor Dedshott", as well as some other sexist & racist comments in Chapters 12 & 13 ("The Professor Moves House" & "Pancake Day At Great Pagwell").

But don't let that turn you away! As a read aloud, this is fantastic as these ar
Clinton Smith
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this first as a small boy and have not ceased to dip into it with great joy, despite my now considerable age.

Norman Hunter wrote many books about the Professor but this is his first ande greatest appearance. Branestawm, aided by the brilliant Heath Robinson illustrations, is a children's delight that deserves to sit just a little south of The Wind in the Willows and Alice in Wonderland.

The addle-pated professor is an inventive genius. He can knock up everything from a burglar catcher to a
Michael
I read this when I was about 7, so there's not much I remember about it now, some 40-odd years later. However, I do remember it so it obviously made a favourable impression on me at the time. Or maybe it's where I was reading it that makes it memorable, as I have a very strong sense of place about this book. I was staying with my Nana at the time and I recall reading it in my makeshift bed, which was a broken lilo at her bedside. Snuggled under a blanket with her pet chihuahua, Mecksie, the ligh ...more
Sue
Funny stories about the escapades of Professor Branestawn who is an ingenious but incompetent inventor, his housekeeper Mrs Flittersnoop and his best friend Colonel Deadshott.
Cleverly written with lots of puns and silly scenes and a laugh every few seconds.
The illustrations by Heath Robinson are wonderful.
My original copy of this book isn't an edition available on Goodreads, it's from the early 1930's and is rapidly falling to pieces.
Meo
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
Fourteen stories of an absent-minded professor, his madcap inventions and his long-suffering friends, vintage 1930 or thereabouts, and still causing laughter off the scale for today's youngsters. Being mistaken for a living waxwork, inventing a pancake machine and trying to borrow one book from 14 libraries in sequence are just some of the bizarre situations he finds himself in. Still funny after all these years, both boys pronounced it very funny.
Dark-Draco
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was never an author or series that I read when I was young, and now I feel that I was missing out. I loved the bumbling professor, whose mad inventions never quite work out as he planned and who is forever losing his glasses. The writing is funny and very clever, with some great use of 'sound effects' to create the image of each adventure in your head. A great read that made me smile and put me in a good mood.
Adrian Buck
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Bizarre, clichéd pre WWII world, a bit like Jeeves and Wooster for kids. Very difficult to read out loud - took me ages to realise Mrs Flittersnoop was Irish - but we got there in the end. My boy burst out laughing repeatedly, but not sure if that because he understood what was happening, or because he didn't. Now has a love of heath Robinson which can't be a bad thing.
Thomas Murphy
I loved these books as a kid and they helped inspire a different way of looking at the world in me.

I have never returned to the books as an adult and am almost frightened to do so. However, the eight year old deep inside me still has such very fond memories of the absurdity of all these books which used to make me laugh out loud.
Jessica Davis (Eckert)
I read this when I was in 4th grade and it was my favorite book that year. My 9 y o who is in 4th grade is not as impressed.
Absent-minded professor with many pairs of glasses does crazy experiments that often go off the rails.
Andrew
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a favourite while I was in the juniors. I think it was mostly becuase of Heath Robinson's illustrations. There was also a Professor Branestawm's Dictionary which was full of atrocious puns (things like Badminton Court referring to the capture of evil criminal Minton, etc.).
Andy
Brilliant, so glad I found this. About to start reading it to my 6 year old son...

If its half as good as I.remembet its well worth the 5 stars.. My son loved this and insists I read him more branestawm as soon as I can!
Samad norooziyan
May 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
اين كتاب براي مني كه تازه كتاب خوندن رو شروع كرده بودم اونم تو سن نوجواني خيلي خيلي جالب بود،بخصوص اينكه علاقه خاصي به فيلم هاي علمي هم داشتم و با اين كتاب به دنياي كتاب هاي عليم تخيلي پا گذاشتم،البته اونقدر عليم يو تخيلي نبود ولي خوب براي من كتاب بزرگي بود
Layla
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my most favorite childhood books.
Aidan Michael
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It only took one hour and thirty minutes to read it. Mr. Professor Branestawm is always inventing things and forgetting things.He is a complete artist
and he is extremely smart .
Josephine
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Dated but fun; I read this as a child, forgot about it and was reminded in a bookstore when I saw this and two others.
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and easy book. its a great book with lot's of funny moments in it. i think children will love this book and adults will enjoy it as an easy read.
Madamedupin
Very much enjoyed this with Charlie - he chuckled lots and it led to a few serious discussions too.
how to download this book? 1 4 Jul 21, 2010 02:08PM
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Jennings and Darbishire
  • Ash Road
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Minnow on the Say
  • Clorofila del Cielo Azul
  • Brendon Chase
  • Grinny
  • Bijna iedereen kon omvallen
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • A Kid for Two Farthings
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke #3)
  • Uncle
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • Mi Amigo El Pintor
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Way Home
  • The Wind on the Moon
Career
Hunter wrote popular books on writing for advertising, brain-teasers and conjuring among many others. His career started as an advertising copywriter and in the 1930s he was performing as a stage magician in Bournemouth.
It was at this time he started to write the Professor Branestawm series, originally intended for radio. The books were published in hardback, with the first illustrated by W.
More about Norman Hunter...
“Professor Branestawm” 1 likes