Start by marking “Making Work at Home Work: Successfully Growing a Business and a Family under One Roof” as Want to Read:

As of 2004 nearly three million self-employed women worked at home, and women continue to start home-based businesses at twice the rate of men. Many of these women left the workplace by choice in order to stay home and raise their children. And though their numbers increase each day, resources for this growing market of entrepreneurs are scarce. Making Work at Home Work sh ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about Making Work at Home Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Work at Home Work

Start your review of Making Work at Home Work: Successfully Growing a Business and a Family under One Roof
Kaylea
Jun 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Writer, speaker, mother, wife – those are but a few of the roles Mary M. Byers juggles every day.

In her newest book, “Making Work at Home Work,” Byers explores how at-home entrepreneurs can develop and hone their business skills, while successfully balancing personal and professional life in a home office.

“I certainly knew I didn’t have all the answers and this gave me a legitimate excuse to talk to others and learn from their experience and suggestions,” Byers said. “I learned that there’s no “
tinythunder
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you’re interested in starting your own business and have children, this would be a great book to read to see what you’re getting yourself into (TLDR: not for the faint of heart).

The book is divided into two sections. The first deals with the home side/what you’re getting into, and the second with the actual business-building side of things. Profiles of actual people sprinkled throughout and overall very practical. Definitely recommended.
April Motl
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Good practical thoughts for managing a business from home, but disappointed that it came from a Christian publisher and really lacked any tie in to Scripture or prayer....
Ellen Christian
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Many people would rather work at home than leave the home every day for work. I know that I would certainly rather stay home with my family each day than go to work at an outside location. However, working at home brings with it a whole new set of challenges.

I've been both a work away from home mom and a work at home mom. When my daughter was born, I went right back to work full time in an office. When my son was born, I stayed home for 18 months. I also stayed home for a year while I was homesc
Christy Lockstein
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Making Work at Home Work by Mary M. Byers is a perfect book for any mom who has an at-home business or is considering starting one. The book is split into two sections: saving your sanity and preserving your profit. The first section focuses on how to manage things like child care, balancing family and work, and making time for yourself as well. Byers tells the reader to ask herself certain questions: what exactly does success mean to you? how much money do you want to be making? and why are you ...more
Virginia
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of nonfiction, but Mary Byers is a really good writer, and I have enjoyed her previous books, so I knew I'd enjoy this one. Mary is an author, editor, professional speaker, wife, and mom – and she somehow manages to be successful at all of them. Her success came through years of hard work, and sometimes from learning the hard way how to juggle a rapidly growing business with her family responsibilities. In Making Work at Home Work, Mary shares her wisdom by presenting practica ...more
Allison
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mothers who work at home
I'm a self-employed entrepreneur and a mom-to-be, so this seemed like a good book to pick up. The second half of the book on improving your business and profits was what really grabbed my attention, since the first half is dedicated to that work-family balance that I haven't had to experience much yet (it will be good to know going into motherhood though!).

Excellent advice and I highly recommend it to mothers who run a business from home. Parts of the book didn't speak to me personally because
Sarah Sundin
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great advice for how to work at home - everything from setting boundaries, office management, dealing with guilt, handling child care, to financial advice. What I enjoyed most was the advice to take yourself seriously so others take you seriously. This book helped me increase my productivity as a writer significantly.
Heather
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have read a number of books about working at home, and this was the best for people who have already started businesses but need some help organizing their lives and businesses so both can be successful.
Stephanie
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
really helpful. need to buy and use as a reference.
Stephgarvey
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great informational read on what it takes to be a successful work at home mom. Funny stories and lots of information from several WAHMs.
Lauren
Feb 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book for work-from-home moms getting started in any business. Full of great tips regarding business and life balance, and a very easy read.
Patricia