Start by marking “Rhino Ranch” as Want to Read:
Rhino Ranch

Rhino Ranch (The Last Picture Show #5)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  971 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
In this poignant and striking final chapter in the Duane Moore story, which began in 1966 with The Last Picture Show, Pulitzer Prize- and Oscar-winning author Larry McMurtry takes readers on one last unforgettable journey to Thalia, Texas, a town that continues to change at a breakneck pace even as Duane feels himself slowing down.

Returning home to recover from a near-fata
Published August 11th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rhino Ranch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhino Ranch

Kristin
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it
I gave it four stars because 1) I love Duane Moore and was so happy to have him back for one last book; and 2) I'm just relieved Larry McMurtry hasn't died yet.
The "chapters" are 1-2 pages long and there are some elements in the book that just don't seem to work. Once upon a time we would have gotten a book twice as long and there would have been a deeper exploration of Duane's travails and the new characters in his life.
Someone who has never read any McMurtry should not start with Rhino Ranch,
Edie
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Years ago for my birthday I asked my family to just let me finish reading Lonesome Dove, which they did, and then I regretted it because I missed the characters so greatly. Today, another birthday, my treat was to read McMurtry's latest and I was equally pleased. Duane Moore is in his twilight years, and so is his town, but the interaction between these eccentric yet very real characters just made me both wistful and also whimsical, with chuckles and feelings of loss and decrepitude creeping in ...more
Barb
Aug 31, 2009 rated it did not like it
Really disappointing. Have enjoyed many of McMurtry's book, but this one is just lame. Seemed like he just didn't have much to say, short choppy chapters with no real narrative or character development. I didn't even finish it.
Carl R.
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thalia, Texas, has been a fertile field for Larry McMurtry. We’ve been following Duane Moore through thick and thin ever since The Last Picture Show, and it’s been a winning journey. McMurtry has captured the the soul of small-town America in these characters, and though the results have not been uniformly fantastic, there is no better chronicle of the cultural, economic, and technological changes in rural American society than McMurtry has presented. Not that this is sociology. It’s literature ...more
Pablo
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Disregard the three stars, I'll actually call it three and a half. Started a bit slow, enough to make me think that McMurtry had finally lost his touch. But, after sticking with it,(despite the indulgences of old men's sexual fantasies gratuitously thrown in by LM), it ended up being a pretty entertaining book, more humorous than the McMurtry I have come to expect, but ultimately displaying the pathos I have always known from this author. Well worth a read.
Ed Vaughn
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
McMurtry lovingly writes a 5th novel about Duane Moore, his fictional, autobiographic counterpart.
The Last Picture Show, Texasville, Duane's Depressed, Until the Lights Go Out and now Rhino Ranch all feature our protagonist. Somewhat naive, innocent, guiltless and forever experimenting with what life has to offer, Duane muddles through everything thrown at him with awe and quiet acceptance.
Krob
Aug 17, 2009 added it
Larry McMurtry can really tell a story. This is the last book in the trilogy (or more) about Duane Moore. Poor Duane is getting old and the book is a little reflective and sad, but as usually McMurtry's observations are worth the read.
Landismom
Oct 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I keep going back to Larry McMurtry, because I keep hoping he'll snap out of the malaise he sunk into after his heart attack. I feel, with this book, that it's starting to lift. A little.
Marthe Bijman
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Larry McMurtry knows how to write, that’s for sure. His technique is perfectly suited to his subject matter, in this case, Texas country: strong, no-nonsense and to the point, like the State, by reputation; dry and a bit caustic, like the cowboys and oilmen of whom he writes. His sentences are short, succinct, spare, perfectly expressed. His paragraphs are short but pivotal, always moving the story along. The characters’ words are few and their thoughts are brief – because of how they are but al ...more
Mark Burris
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Of the five in the “Duane Moore series” — Last Picture, Texasville, Duane’s Depressed, When the Light Goes and this one — Rhino Ranch is clearly the weakest, sloppy in editing and proofing and aimless. It reminded me of a TV sitcom that is good in spots, but can’t sustain its quality for an entire season. In a way, I guess, the entire series is like a 5-season sitcom, with each season after Texasville unable to capture the best of the first two books.

I forgive McMurtry for almost anything, howev
  • I Used to Think I Was Normal But Now I Take Pills for That
  • St Agnes' Stand
  • Consuming Passions: A Food-Obsessed Life
  • I Can't Make You Love Me, but I Can Make You Leave
  • Red Sky at Morning
  • Gideon's War (Gideon Davis, #1)
  • Master Pieces: The Curator's Game
  • Whistler's Angel
  • The Eighth Dwarf
  • Wake Up Little Susie (Sam McCain, #2)
  • Won't You Come Home Billy Bob Bailey?
  • The Great Eight: How to Be Happy (Even When You Have Every Reason to Be Miserable)
  • I Should Have Seen It Coming When The Rabbit Died
  • Six Bits a Day
  • The Good Son
  • Kabul
  • Via delle Oche
  • The Middle Heart
Larry McMurtry was born in Wichita Falls, Texas on June 3, 1936. He is the author of twenty-nine novels, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Lonesome Dove, three memoirs, two essay collections, and more than thirty screenplays.

His first published book, Horseman, Pass By, was adapted into the film "Hud." A number of his other novels also were adapted into movies as well as a television mini-serie
More about Larry McMurtry...

The Last Picture Show (5 books)
  • The Last Picture Show