Start by marking “Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide, #3)” as Want to Read:
Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide, #3)

Life, the Universe and Everything

(Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #3)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  172,678 ratings  ·  2,828 reviews
"HYSTERICAL!"
--The Philadelphia Inquirer
The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads--so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the white killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation.
They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler, who tries t
Published December 24th 2008 by Del Rey (first published December 29th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Life, the Universe and Everything, please sign up.
Rick First of all; this is the third of five books in the Hitchhiker's Trilogy. Read it third, not first. If you'd read the the first two you'd know the…moreFirst of all; this is the third of five books in the Hitchhiker's Trilogy. Read it third, not first. If you'd read the the first two you'd know the answer to your question.

There is no plot. Anything in any of these books that in anyway resembles a "plot" was put there by Adams just to throw you off the scent. Don't expect a plot, don't look for a plot; just read and enjoy. (less)

Petra X
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just read the most extraordinary thing. In the US version of the third novel of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Life, the Universe and Everything, the word 'Belgium' is used to replace the word "fuck" which was in the British publication.

Apparently Douglas Adams' American publishers thought that some of the language in the book was too crude for Americans and asked him to take out the words 'fuck', 'asshole' and 'shit'. Adams' replaced asshole with kneebiter, shit with swut and fuck w
Henry Avila
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Dent finds himself living alone on prehistoric Earth, in a cold, damp cave. His friend Ford Prefect, bored, has wandered off early without saying a word, to Africa, Arthur learns later. The duo time travelers are here not voluntarily, and have tried to adjust, the whole gang's been scattered all through the Galaxy not a fun situation. Marvin, the depressed but amusing robot, has conversations with a talking mattress in a strange planet, Trillian, at a party that never ends and Zaphod Beeb ...more
Barry Pierce
I'm getting very bored of this series. While I like the characters and I understand the humour, I'm not laughing. I read these novels with a smile, not a smirk.
Algernon
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

Another world, another day, another dawn.
The early morning’s thinnest sliver of light appeared silently. Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.
There is a moment in every dawn when light floats, there is the possibility of magic. Creation holds its breath.

... and then a voice from above utters the words:

“You’re a jerk, Dent!”

Arthur Dent has every reason to be both puzzled and angry at
Riku Sayuj
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

42? Really? I don't think so!

42 is the answer! NO! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate!Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate!

Ben
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True fans of the series
A series losing steam, and it's a real shame given the potential of the first two books--both fun, quick reads. This title is less focused on the sci-fi and philosophical underpinnings of the first two books. Instead, Adams here maintains sequences that hinge on bizarre chains of events and silly, ponderous exchanges between characters who have less and less of an idea as to what exactly is happening around them. These felt a long 200+ pages indeed.

The bon mots and clever passages are fewer and
Manny
People may have noticed that I've recently become very interested in theories of physics which involve multiple universes. I've spent a fair amount of time over the last few weeks reading about them and discussing the ideas.

Since it's buried in one of my other reviews, let me present my conclusions explicitly. To my surprise, I discover that there is a great deal of evidence to support the claim that we are only one of many universes, and, moreover, that we know what these other universes are. T
Tudor Vlad
I'm feeling some series fatigue after binge-reading this and the second book over the weekend. I don't know if this was indeed a weaker/more confusing volume or was it just the fact that too much of a good thing can sometimes be bad. Either way, I had some difficulty finishing it and I think I won't be reading the 4th and 5th book anytime soon. It gets 3 stars (2,5 actually) because despite it being really confusing and at time frustrating, it still had a lot of fun and hilarious moments.
Brandon Collinsworth
this is the last book in the series that I really enjoyed and I almost wish Douglas Adams would have called it quits here. The book gives us the chance to laugh at ourselves in going back to prehistoric earth and Adams alternate view of how we ended up the creatures we are, that was extremely clever.

But Krikkit was the best part, this story was amazing and I can't help but wonder if Adams religous views are at work here. A group of people that just can't accept the idea that there might be anoth
Jonathan Terrington

As a continuation of Douglas Adams' famous The Hitchiker's Guide Series this was, as indicated by the foreword, one of the most plotted in the series. But as also indicated by the foreword, you don't read The Hitchiker's Guide Series for the plots. So, you ask me, what do you read it for? You read it for the sense of wonder about the crazy place the universe is. You read it for the comedy of Douglas Adams, for his creative and zany use of made up people, places, words...for his use of language.
Cecily
Hitchhiker's, volume 3.

Mostly about Krikkit - and the Bistromathic Drive, which is better than mere Infinite Improbability.

The immortal Wowbanger the Infinitely Prolonged gave himself the task of insulting everyone in the universe - individually (but nearly did Arthur twice).

It has the usual wonderful Adamsness:

The "knack" of learning to fly is to "throw yourself at the ground and miss".

"Aggressively uninterested".

"One thing has suddenly ceased to lead to another".

Slartibartfast, who has on
Ferdy
As fun and silly as the previous instalments. The best part was that random guy going around insulting everyone.
Olga
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital
Maybe 2.5 stars. Half the time I didn't understand what the hell was happening. These books are usually a little crazy and over the top, but this one was specially weird.
I'm giving it a 3 star rating, because of the audiobook. Martin Freeman's narration made this really enjoyable and I laughed out loud a lot of times. Arthur is still an amazing character, not much change about the way he's written but still my favorite.
Katie
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, comedy
I appreciate Douglas Adams a bit more each time that I read him. This was unsurprisingly lovely and funny and very enjoyable. It's a wonderful thing to read if you're having a bad day and it's rainy outside (or hey, even if it's sunny).

I don't think I really noticed it before, but reading through this I kept finding myself thinking that Douglas Adams could easily have been a very successful "serious" writer too, if he had wanted to be one. He's a wonderful writer, and there are a couple of turn
Amparo
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simplemente una lectura inteligente, ingeniosa, divertida, ocurrente, cruel, tierna, crítica y fabulosa. Me ha encantado este episodio de la Guía. Si el algún momento del Restaurante del fin de Mundo llegué a desconectar, no me ocurrido con la Vida, el universo y todo lo demás. Me sentía como Alicia en el universo de las Maravillas.
Samet
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Çok iyi gitmiyor mu ya, evet çok iyi gidiyor. Gelsin devamı...
Joe
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'From the studios on the unstable fourth moon of Vega four; it's The Ua show!' The announcer shouted as Ua emerged from behind the curtain to the applause of her live audience.

'Thank you, thank you.' She called to her adoring fans. 'And I must say I love you all. Even the reptiloids. Oh what am I saying; especially the reptiloids.' Light laughter followed.

'Today we have with us the stars of Life, the Universe and Everything.' She called out while making a horizontal slash through the air; a pant
David Firmage
Audiobook.
J.G. Keely
The universe is a joke.

Even before I was shown the meaning of life in a dream at 17 (then promptly forgot it because I thought I smelled pancakes), I knew this to be true--and yet, I have always felt a need to search for the truth, that nebulous, ill-treated creature. Adams has always been, to me, to be a welcome companion in that journey.

Between the search for meaning and the recognition that it's all a joke in poor taste lies Douglas Adams, and, luckily for us, he doesn't seem to mind if you
FlibBityFLooB
How can you go wrong with the zany mind of author Douglas Adams? Arthur, living alone on prehistoric Earth, decides happily to himself that he will go mad and announces it to the empty world. Ford, who unexpectedly reappears after being gone for four years, tells Arthur that he went mad for a while and it did him a lot of good. I loved Ford’s description of his bout of self-imposed madness: “And then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. I kept myself amused all that time jumping in an ...more
Susi Lopera
Wasn’t much into the plot with the planet Krikkit. Too much going on. You get Douglas’s usual lovely nonsense and chaos, but in this book it goes too far. Too much nonsense and chaos, and so some of the joy and humor is lost. Enjoyed Agrajag and the weirdness of Arthur’s having killed him accidentally and that being tied to Arthur’s fate. Also loved the silliness of Arthur learning how to fly and the couch on the cricket field being a space time eddy.
Gauri
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My rating simply reflects my enjoyment of the novel.

I get the humor, but I didn't laugh. There were several clever little plot sequences and lines, but nothing much more than that, it seems. The first book presented some great ideas. The second book presented, more or less, two good ideas. The third book... I couldn't find anything worthwhile. Please do comment below if you noticed something I didn't, because I really don't want to set down this book without gaining anything from it.
David Sarkies
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It's all just a game of cricket
25 October 2016 - Clifton Hill

I'm going to have to be honest here and admit that I really wasn't all that impressed with this book. In fact the story was originally meant to be a six part Doctor Who series which was rejected by the producers, and I can see why – it just really didn't seem to be what I would expect from Doctor Who. Okay, the Doctor can be pretty tongue in cheek at times, and while there are suggestions that some Earth practices have extra-terrestri
Lebenistmeer
Hab leider des Öfteren den Faden und die Lust am Weiterlesen verloren. Der vorherigen Bücher gefallen mir bis jetzt besser.
Evan Leach
The third entry in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series probably has the most coherent plot of all five books, for what that’s worth. In Life, the Universe and Everything, Arthur, Ford and friends get roped into preventing the destruction of the universe. A group of sinister robots have been appearing around the galaxy collecting specific items, and if their efforts are successful all creation as we know it will be destroyed. Unlike the other books in the series, where the characters ofte ...more
Eric Allen
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the series that has an actual storyline, where there's an ancient evil that needs to be, and is eventually, dealt with in the end. The really amazing thing is that this series went two entire books before it even really needed to happen, and no one really seems to care, because the first two books are so entertaining without any real plotline tying all of the random events together in them. I mean, for a book that doesn't have a girl who discovered a way that everyone c ...more
Yvonne Mendez
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book made sense and I met my new love: Marvin the Paranoid Android. The second book "The restaurant at the end of the universe", made sense, sorta, kinda, but I can't explain why it made sense. Marvin was depressingly charming and I even had a small bout of depression in his honor. In this third installment, there is less of Marvin and more saving-the-universe type action. I constantly feel like Arthur Dent with all these things and new concepts being thrown at me from the lips of the ...more
Jim
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure there has ever been a point to any of this, but this one seemed to lose any sign of cohesive narration toward the end. Again, it ended abruptly & on a cliff hanger. Still kind of funny at odd moments, but so pointless as to be tiring. I thought I'd try one more & queued it up, but then found some better books at the library. I think I've spent enough time on this series. I now get many of the references FWIW. Ugh. Next I'll be watching football or some other ridiculous sport ...more
Becky
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still funny, still absurd, still pretty deep really, but Adams was definitly starting to lose some of the threads here. This is the first one where I found myself asking, "wait, what?". There are some pretty decent time jumps between chapters that will leave eyebrows waggling in confusion. But, there ARE still some really great pieces, I'm particularly fond of bistro math.
Chloe Simpson
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always this parody of life made me smile and realise that life and the universe are basically a large joke. every time that i read this trilogy of 6, i feel better about life and how i am handling my placement in it.
  • Starship Titanic
  • Witches Abroad (Discworld, #12; Witches #3)
  • Foundation's Edge (Foundation #4)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles #2)
  • Mona Lisa Overdrive (Sprawl, #3)
  • Callahan's Secret (Callahan's #3)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)
  • And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
  • Imzadi (Star Trek the Next Generation)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist 2: Conflict (Night's Dawn 2)
  • Last Human (Red Dwarf, #3)
  • The Road to Mars: A Post-Modem Novel
  • Job: A Comedy of Justice
  • The City of Gold and Lead
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was co ...more

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (5 books)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.” 4737 likes
“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.” 856 likes