Start by marking “Puff, the Magic Dragon” as Want to Read:
Puff, the Magic Dragon

Puff, the Magic Dragon

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  4,169 Ratings  ·  267 Reviews
Puff, the Magic Dragon is simply one of the most beloved songs of all time—a classic that’s become as much a part of the childhood experience as Mother Goose and fairy tales. Yet singer/songwriter Peter Yarrow and co-composer Lenny Lipton have never allowed a picture book adaptation of this magical tale…until now. With Yarrow’s and Lipton’s blessing, Puff, Jackie Paper, an ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Sterling

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,125 books — 2,150 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
2,317 books — 1,531 voters

More lists with this book...

y, is for Yarrow

5 Stars

Oh man, I can't believe I never wrote a review for this one! This was my absolute FAVOURITE childhood story. Nothing, to this day, brings instant childhood nostalgia to my eyes quite like this story/song.

I remember my tone-deaf father singing me this song, I remember the lilt of his imperfect voice, the feel of his hand running through my hair, EVERYTHING!

I think everyone is familiar with this one, I don't know that I need to go into what this is all about.

I have had the
Dorcas
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I loved this book as a child of 6 being read to by my mum.

But....

It is soooo sad and I remember howling my eyes out til I could hardly see straight. I wouldn't let her stop reading though; I had to know what happened (even though I knew what happened because hey, what kid born in the seventies didn't grow up being lulled to sleep by Peter Paul and Mary, right?)

Anyway, as an adult, we know that Puff is a metaphor for childhood imagination but as a kid it goes whoosh over your head and all you k
Sheila
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My daughter got this book and companion music CD for her birthday, and I have to say that I greatly enjoyed reading it. It is the classic, well known lyrics to the Peter, Paul and Mary song, set to beautiful drawings. But much to my delight, the final pages, where the song becomes sad, the drawings give a beautiful hope for the future of Puff.
Lorraine
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone.
Love it! Love it! Love it! What marvelous memories I have that are attached to this song! Beautifully illustrated! So well done, Mr. Yarrow, and I thank you! There is a four song CD of Peter, Paul, and Mary with Bethany and Rufus. Truly divine!
Linda Gill
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This 50TH BIRTHDAY edition of the song written in 1959 by Peter Yarrow and Leonard Lipton is a delight for the eyes in this wonderful picture book. It is a special reminder of a song that many (in my age bracket) sang and sang again and still do today. Although the song has some sadness to it, this storybook version has a new ending. Puff, the Magic Dragon was originally sung by Peter, Paul, and Mary in 1960. They continued to sing it at concerts for years and years to come.

The song is the stor
Michelle
Aug 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
I know this is a classic (or whatever) but I just didn't like it. The illustrations were beautiful paintings, but it's such a sad story! This magical dragon gets forgotten by his friend because his friend grows up. Judging by the pictures, it seems that another child comes along soon to play with him, but it never even says that in the story. It's sad and not fun to read. The copy we got from the library had a CD in the back, but as soon as the song started, my toddler told me to stop it because ...more
Kaitlin
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: song-books
Awards: N/A
Grade levels: prek and up
Summary: Puff, the magic dragon and his friend Jackie have many adventures, climbing and running and playing in the water. While Puff is typically viewed as an outcast, every so often a child sees the good in him and forms a friendship, once again filling Puffs days with joy. The classic song set to gorgeous images will entice another generation of children.n
Review: A take on the classic children's song-Puff, the Magic Dragon, invites children to follow along
Seung Lee
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Also a book that closely follows the lyrics to the theme song to "Puff, the Magic Dragon." Really liked the song as a kid. I also looked up the video and brought back memories of childhood.
Gerry
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Puff the Magic Dragon, lived by the sea, And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee' sang Peter, Paul and Mary in a 1963 recording. Well, here is the song presented in storybook style with absolutely delightful paintings by Eric Puybaret.

It is a story of an ageless dragon, Puff, and his playmate Jackie Paper, a little boy who 'loved that rascal Puff' and bought him presents as they 'frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee'.

Despite Puff's gigantic tail they managed t
Jared Burton
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english-353
Yarrow, Peter. & Lipton, Lenny. Puff the Magic Dragon. New York: Sterling Publishing Company Inc., 2007.
Genre – Fiction, Dragon Tale.
This book is based off the old song known by most, Puff the Magic Dragon. This version tells the tale of a dragon who plays with his friend Jackie Paper. They do everything together until Jackie Paper grows up and Puff the dragon. In this book however it seems that Jackie Papers daughter comes to take Jackie’s place as the dragons best friend.
This book is a v
Daryl Rothman
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this story because of the beautiful illustrations and text that tell the same story as the song made famous by Peter, Paul, and Mary. The song beautifully depicts the cycle of childhood imagination and provides a singable melody for young toddlers and children. The singable melody and enchanting pictures in this storybook tell a beautiful ongoing story of childhood fantasy. After recently rediscovering this classic childhood story, the book took on new meanings for me since reading it as ...more
Joey Woolfardis
Peter, Paul and Mary had a folk song in 1963 called Puff the Magic Dragon, which this book, written by two members of the band, is based on.

It's a very short story with a lot of repetition; having not heard the song I can't rightly compare and contrast, but it didn't flow quite right in the book as I'm sure a song would. The art work is absolutely lovely, though, in such a vivid style that it is more captivating than the words were.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Ruby Patel
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Puff the magic dragon - even the title gets a child excited! Magic AND dragons?! This story is taken from a song which I remember singing quite joyfully as a child! The story has followed through from here and tells the story of a dragon named Puff who lives by the sea, he and a little boy go on a variety of magical adventures, but when the little boy grows up Puff is left feeling lonely but when a girl comes along curiously looking into the cave it all changes. The artwork is lavished in dark g ...more
Cara
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! I love the way that the book ends. The song ends so sadly, yet the book's illustrations paint a totally different (and sweet) ending! There is a CD that you play while you flip through the pages and it is just so sweet. I think (actually, I know) that I loved it even more than the boys did! This was a great, random find at the library.
Elizabeth
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Both of my kids (five and 18 months) loved this one immediately. I love it because the pictures give a happy ending to what is otherwise the saddest song in the world.

We've had the book in our house for about eight hours and I have already lost my voice from reading/singing it over and over. It's a hit.
Michael D.
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This a great read for teaching phonemic awareness in the category of rhyming. It is also an excellent read for teaching the value of friendships. This fantasy poem is wonderful for addressing standards which focus upon phonemic awareness.
Emerson John Tiu Ng
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
...one of my favorite song... my Dad always play this song when I was young... Peter, Paul and Mary...
Dee
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I have not listened to the cd yet but the book was beautiful. I still wonder about Little Jackie Paper though.
Sue
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Couldn't read the words because the song kept screaming out--very popular in its day [1963] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7lmA...
Jose
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pure amazingness! I love the story and every time I read it I end up singing the song...
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My mom went to high school with Paul Stookey, of Peter, Paul & Mary who wrote & sang this song. I think everyone knows the song.
Emily Cappiello
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: song-books
“Puff, the Magic Dragon” By Peter Yarrow and Lenny Lipton; published by Sterling Publishing Company Inc.; New York; copyright 2007.

1. Awards the book has received: This book has not received any awards.

2. Appropriate grade level(s): This book is appropriate for children from Kindergarten-1st grade.

3. Summary: This book is based on a Peter, Paul and Mary song which is about a dragon and his friend. The dragon loves his friend Jackie and they go on many adventures together. They are very well resp
Jessica
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: songs
1. This book has not received any awards.
2. This book is appropriate for grades preschool-2nd grade.
3. This newer childhood song has been transformed into a beautiful picture book that tells the story of Puff, the magic dragon and his many adventures. With his friend Jackie, they travel the land of Honalee, and frolic in the autumn mist. Peter Yarrow, the original song maker, creates a story that follows the repetitive sing-song of this beloved song.
4. Due to the repetitive nature of this book,
Hope McCabe
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. Awards: None
2. Preschool—2nd grade
3. This version of Puff the Magic Dragon brings the song to life through reading. The song book follows the story of Puff, Jackie Piper, and the land of Honalee. Puff and Jack embark on fantastic, magical, and exciting adventures.
4. Puff the Magic Dragon is such a nostalgic song that is such a classic to bring about for young children. It unleashes the imaginations of everyone and never fails to put a smile on everyone’s faces. The rhythm and sounds is so com
S.S.
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I remember my mum singing this song to me a lot when I was a wee dragonet (about thirty-odd years ago) and was reminded once again of Puff, through seeing a picture of the book's cover on Pinterest! I then went on YouTube and watched a video (created by Nana Kate's Corner) where the story was read aloud. I picked this version as I liked Nana Kate's accent! :D I loved the story, and the illustrations of the dragon were gorgeous. I felt sorry for Puff when his little friend grew up and left him be ...more
Jess Bergoine
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. This book has won no awards
2. Ages 3-7
3. Puff the Magic Dragon lives in a land called Honnah Lee. Together him and Jackie Paper go on incredible adventures. Soon Jackie Paper grows up and no longer plays with Puff, the Magic Dragon.
4. Puff, the Magic Dragon was a favorite song of mine as a child. I was so happy to see that it is a book, and there are such beautiful illustrations to go along with such a beautiful song. It actually makes me tear up, and I think that's what makes it so great.
Maria Thompson
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: d-songs
Awards: None

Grade Level: Prekindergarten-1st

Summary:
There is a dragon that lives by the sea near a land called Honalle. A little boy comes to visit him and brings him food. Puff is a nice dragon and does not harm anyone, he just enjoys frolicking by the sea.

Review:
The song in this book has such a nice melody. Even humming the words to the song, I feel can be soothing. The illustrations were vibrant and appealing to the eyes.

Possible In-class Uses:
1. Teacher can teach the students the words to th
Amalia
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awards: n/a

Appropriate grade level(s): birth-1st grade

Summary: This is the story about Little Jackie Paper and his adventures with Puff the Magic Dragon. Together they fly around the land of Honnah Lee and see princes and pirates. In between each verse, the same chorus is sung and repeated 6 times.

Review: This book has the same chorus that has two repeating lines so it is very easy for kids to learn and sing along to. I also like all the colorful illustrations this books has. It makes it easy f
Jillian Ciferri
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
1). Awards the book has received: none
2). Appropriate grade levels: preschool-1st grade
3). Original 3-line summary: Puff the Magic Dragon tells a story about a dragon named Puff and his best friend, Jackie Paper. Jackie and Puff do a lot of activities together, until one day, Jackie disappears and is never seen again. This makes Puff very sad, until a new child comes along and makes him her new friend.
4). Original 3-line review: Children who are ages 3 to 6 will love this book. The illustrati
Sher
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the many classics that should be shared in each family’s generation. I remembered seeing it in a cartoon show. It is the kind of song that will be automatic LSS. The lyrics of the song brings the child’s emotion to so many levels. The melancholic tune is enough to make you feel Puff’s heartache. But at the end of the story, there is the lesso about hope.
  • Over the Rainbow
  • I'm a Manatee
  • Truckery Rhymes
  • The Peace Book
  • The Cloud Spinner
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses
  • King Jack and the Dragon
  • What a Wonderful World
  • The Tale of Custard the Dragon

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Puff, the Magic Dragon, lived by the sea, and frolicked in the Autumn Mist in a land called Honah Lee, little Jacky Paper loved that rascal Puff, and gave him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff.” 39 likes