Start by marking “Demon Forged (The Guardians, #5)” as Want to Read:
Demon Forged  (The Guardians, #5)

Demon Forged

(The Guardians #5)

Acclaimed author Meljean Brook returns to the darkly sensual world of the Guardians with the tale of a prophecy, a devilish bargain, and a doomed love...

Four centuries ago, Guardians Irena and Alejandro would have succumbed to the need burning between them -- if a demon and a monstrous bargain hadn't shattered the possibility of love. Torn apart by her shame, Irena avoided
Mass Market Paperback, 419 pages
Published October 6th 2009 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Demon Forged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demon Forged

Katie(babs)
Demon Forged will absolutely, positively blow your mind. Where as Demon Bound was a bit restrained, Demon Forged explodes with such rich dialogue, descriptions and remarkable characters we have all grown to love.

The two main characters here are Guardians Irena and Alejandro who I first met in Demon Night. They really didn’t make much of an impression on me at first. But after reading their story, they have become my second favorite couple behind Hugh and Lilith. Irena and Alejandro have a relati
Renégade ♥
5 stars

This book, with Irena and Alejandro (along with the rest of the fascinating cast and crew) was quite the ride.

And (view spoiler)

A number of events in this book had me asking, "What the hell would I do?" S
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
I have to admit that I am a big fan of many pnr series but Guardians series by Meljean brook is by far my favourite. The series has so many great books that I can't decide which is my favourite among those!
Like the rest of the books, "Demon Forged" has a great story and characters. First, we have Irena.
Irena is a very difficult but strong woman. She had a tough life as a human, she was raped and enslaved and had also a tough life as a guardian.Then, we have Alejandro, a strong guardian and a pr
Holly
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Meljean Brook. It dragged a little in the middle, but the end took me totally by surprise. The characters were everything I expected of them, though I'll be curious to see where some newly introduced ones are headed.

Overall? It was amazing.

Ashley
Four centuries ago Irena's shame and Alejandro's pride destroyed a love that could have withstood an eternity. Now Irena's heart is as hard as steel and it only melts beneath Alejandro's dark and smoldering stares whenever they're forced to be in each other's presence.

Irena's sixteen centuries as a Guardian have sharpened her into a quick and blunt instrument delivering pointed comments with developed wisdom and at times, with unveiled anger. She is also often misinterpreted. Recently betrayed b
Kathy Davie
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Fifth in the Guardians paranormal romance series revolving around a group of supernatural beings, guardians to the world against rogue vampires and demons of any level.

My Take
Oh brother, talk about miscommunication! I was a good chunk of the way through this story before I got interested in it. I hated Irena's character. I seemed as though her only concept of communication was by hitting everyone and anyone. You know, a good knock‒out punch to the jaw. Gimme a break...she's had lots of time to g
Vleigh
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Got confused in parts -- the writing wasn't always very clear to me. But it picked up steam by the end with several action-packed scenes and romance.
Melindeeloo
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
`Forged' By Passion And Consummated In Fire - Great Book in an Awesome Series

Demon Forged is absolutely the best of Meljean Brook's Guardian series to date. Character rich and well crafted, Demon Forged is equal parts romance and a story which builds on and adds some surprising developments to the overall arc of this excellent series -- I thoroughly loved this book and I am only barely resisting the urge to gush and rave.

Guardians Irena and Alejandro - whom Irena calls Olek- have a history, i
Erin
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Any book that I can't put down even when I'm starving for dinner and desperate to pee, gets five stars.

If you know Meljean Brook's work already: everything you've heard about the ending of this book is TRUE. By which I mean it is awesome.

If you don't know Meljean Brook's work, here is why I like her:

1. She knows from strong heroines. I know that phrase, "strong heroines," gets tossed around a lot in certain genres (paranormal romance especially), often as code for "has a superpower" or "there wa
Starfire
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really don't know what to say about this book, other than wax lyrical about how much I enjoyed it.

As with previous Guardian novel, I found myself getting at least a third of the way through the book before I had ANY idea where the plot was going - the thing is that I enjoy Meljean Brook's characters and dialogue so much - I enjoy *spending time with them* so much - that I didn't really miss it.

And then when it finally DID kick in... whoah. The stakes were raised, and *stuff* was suddenly happe
Anita
I gave up on this paranormal romane after the first chapter (18 pages). I expected to like it more, because I liked the first 3 in this series, but I skipped book 4 (this is book 5), so maybe the series goes downhill. I disliked Irena, the protagonist. Maybe I'm just fed up with characters who feel a whole lot of guilt and shame, or maybe it was just too over-the-top in this particular book. Whatever it is, I set the book aside weeks ago and can't bear to go back to it.
Christine
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really ought to write something up for these books other than slapping 5 star ratings up here, but they kind of get my speechless when I've finished them! If you're a fan of this series, I bet you know what I'm talking about! I need to think about this..
Dina
Jan 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr, lib
The story is still interesting, but darker and more depressing. Romance between protagonists was missing something. The anger and fights between them were somewhat artificial and left me uninvolved
Edie
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Irena is the awesomesauce, just so you know.
And this book has also firmly cemented (7 foot into the ground) my adoration of Brook's work.
Lena
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr
So much series plot = good, but tbqh, I didn't quite care for Alejandro or Irena. I was way more invested in Rosalia/Deacon based on the scenes in this book alone (and I admit I rushed a bit to get to Demon Blood).

Irena and Alejandro fell in love long before the book starts, and I didn't feel like we saw enough of that. (Also, apparently it started with them as a teacher/student pair, and I was...meh on that.)

On the other hand, Savi/Colin and Jake/Alice! (And Drifter, being cool as he always is.
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
NOTE: If you haven't read the previous books in the series, it's probably best if you don't read this review. I'll try to avoid spoilers for previous books, but this far into the series, I'm pretty sure some will slip in. And anyway, if you want to read this series, you really should be starting at the beginning. I mean, there's certainly enough information in each book to allow them to be read as standalones (it's useful for us who've been reading the other ones, too; this is a fabulously compl ...more
KindleJo Jo
Magnifique. Seriously: the drama, the angst, the love, the sexy times, the pain, the heartache, the characters, the sorrow, the joy, the world building, the story arc, the everything.
Meljean Brook my own a piece of my soul.
Patricia
Read review here on BookExhibitionism.de

Dear Patricia,

with all due respect, sometimes I am not sure why you like certain books and hate others, coming to the conclusion that you are insane. You are convinced that this book is made of awesome, but not because of the main couple, two folks you don't really care about, but because of the many Michael glimpses you got here. (Which is a shame, because the main couple is spectacular.)

Meljean's Guardians-series is about a group of people who once sacri
Laurla2
"she had revealed a stubborn streak comparable to a deaf ox."

"she hadn't just lost faith in him, faith had been torn away from her."

"do you still grieve for her?"
"when i think of her. when i have to speak of her."

"i dont need your protection, you stupid jerk."
"you'll likely find that when she needs it, and when she wants it, will rarely coincide."

"no matter how hard you wish, that will not be my head."
he saw her lip twitch. her gift pulsed, and the steel on the anvil became a miniature sculpt
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
In the past I had read the first four books in the Guardians series and then stopped - not lost interest so much as got distracted. Lately my personal and professional lives have been pretty demanding, so I picked up Demon Angel as a re-read. I remembered that I liked it, and vaguely remembered the plot, but my interest got totally captured! I found myself re-reading all the way through the four books I owned, and then continuing on to this book - book five.

And I found this to be one of the bett
Jen Davis
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book sure changes things, doesn’t it?

I thought this is one of the strongest (if not the best) installment in the Guardian series to date. Not only is the romance good, but there are major developments in the series arc. Plus, we get a really big dose of Michael here. We get to find out who will be his HEA. And our team takes on a more difficult fight than ever, with at least one surprising casualty. Not a drop of boring to be found.

We got a pretty good setup on the romance in the last
Jocelyn No
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
This is one of those very rare books where I never totally warmed up to the main characters, but I loved the book anyway. Will re-read repeatedly, solid keeper shelf material. I'm only taking the one star off because of my lukewarm feelings for Irena and Alejandro.

This is the 8th installation in this series, the 5th full book, and it's where the series plot really starts to hit freeway speed. After the last book (my favorite of the series so far) I didn't think Brook would dole out the series pl
Jill Dunlop
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Demon Forged is the fifth book in Meljean Brook's Guardian Series (that's if you don't count the anthologies). Irena and Alejandro are Guardians who have been protecting mankind from Demons. They have a past history together and can't seem to make their friendship/relationship work. Many centuries have passed and they still harbor feelings for one another but neither Irena nor Alejandro can seem to get past their pride to make things work. Now, Irena and Alejandro are being forced to work togeth ...more
Darcy
Nov 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, angels, demons, magic
It was interesting at the beginning quarter of this book to watch Irena and Alejandro seemingly circle around each other whenever they were near, they had such a long and conflict ridden history. They were both super aware of each other but just couldn't face the things that happened in the past, being forced to work together on the lastest threat against the guardians.

Irena was a fun character to read as she is such a strong badass, that even the novice guardians are somewhat scared and in awe
Ana
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Samantha
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I was really excited for this one, but sadly it didn't live up to my expectations. However, it did make me really flipping excited to read Michael's story. I can't wait for that book to come out sometime this fall. *crosses fingers that the release date doesn't get pushed back*

Guardians Irena and Alejandro have been at each others' throat ever since a bargain with a demon destroyed their relationship hundreds of years ago. Now circumstances are pushing them to work together and the guilt each ca
Laurie
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Simply amazing! I was not crazy about Demon Angel, but I won this new book in a giveaway and gave it a try. It's a better book on every level: the complexity is still there, but it's much easier to follow and thus easier to feel invested in the characters. (I will admit that this may be because I've read one book now, as opposed to coming to the series "fresh".)

The heroine, Irena, does take a while to warm up to -- and many seem to agree with this -- but I love her straightforwardness. She hate
Llaph | No Frill | No Shill
I was feeling rather "meh" about the book and irritated @ Irena and Alejandro, they are both very stubborn and prideful people. Once they get over themselves, and man does Alejandro have some patience, they fit together so well. They're not my favorite couple of the series, but I still enjoyed reading their story.

The book just hit a point mid-way through where everything after that was full of action, wtf betrayals, moments where I wanted to do some head-bashing,oh and a dragon (though the drago
The Window Seat
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Well, it had to happen. It seems that in every series, there is a couple that gets the short end of the stick. In the case of the Guardian series, poor Alejandro and Irena are "that" couple....

Alejandro and Irena have a past that none of the Guardians really understand. The two met 400 years ago when Alejandro first graduated from the initial Guardian training. Seeing each other across a crowded courtyard, the two fell in love. But Irena was a powerful Guardian that was centuries old and Alejand
Lin
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I cried, so much, at the ending. The story was insane!! (in a brilliant way)

Pros:
*The ending!! Oh it's massive and brilliant and heartbreaking
*Major Michael love from this one. He was always great but this time I love him even more
*Major sob fest twice over (yup this is a pro)
*Dragons!
*Jake gave Alice a bomb and is now The Weapon
*As per usual brilliantly written with more awesome world building

Meh's:
*As much as I love Irena the crazy secondary character I didn't really warm to her as part of a r
  • First Blood (Laws of the Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #3.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5)
  • Trinity Blood: Reborn on the Mars, Volume 2: The Iblis
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea #3.5; Psy-Changeling #0.6; Iron Seas #0.5)
  • Hot Spell (Demon World, #2; Breeds, #5.5; The Guardians, Prequel)
  • Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy
  • Angel Betrayed (The Fallen, #2)
  • A Witch's Beauty (Daughters of Arianne, #2)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • Sword And Sorceress XVIII
  • Shady Lady (Corine Solomon, #3)
  • Midnight (Dark Age Dawning, #2)
  • Forged Of Shadows (Marked Souls #2)
  • Frostbound: The Dark Forgotten
  • Must Love Hellhounds (Sookie Stackhouse #9.2; Guild Hunter #0.5; Kate Daniels #3.5; The Guardians #5.5)
  • Skin Game (Skin, #1)
  • In the Dark of Dreams (Dirk & Steele, #10)
  • Angels Of Darkness (Alphas, #0.5; Guild Hunter, #3.5; The Guardians, #7.5; Samaria)
Book info: I am the author of the Iron Seas steampunk romance series. I've written a guide to the world (including a map) on my website.

I also write a paranormal romance series, the Guardians. That series guide is also on my website, including a "The Story So Far" feature, which allows you to catch up on all of the books that previously released in the series if you start after the first installm

The Guardians (8 books)
  • Demon Angel (The Guardians, #1)
  • Demon Moon (The Guardians, #2)
  • Demon Night (The Guardians, #3)
  • Demon Bound (The Guardians, #4)
  • Demon Blood (The Guardians, #6)
  • Demon Marked (The Guardians, #7)
  • Guardian Demon (The Guardians, #8)