Start by marking “The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  501 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition
Published March 23rd 2009 by Wiley (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition

Undrakh Ganzorig
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. GMAT is not a exam you can be ready for taking it just by casually preparing. My efforts were not enough; I was aware of it before sitting for official test.So, no complaint.
2. Official guide of GMAT was sweet. We had a great time. I thought it liked me, but I was wrong :P ! Surprisingly, I enjoyed working on GMAT problems both quantitative and verbal, particularly critical reasoning.

I need at least another 6 months preparation for getting a good score.
Allisonperkel
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prep
the standard - tons of questions and very little else. Very much worth it.
Ruth
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The review sections covered everything necessary for the test and explained things pretty well before they gave you a quiz over it. The book definitely prepared me well and I would buy it again
Shawn Foust
Good guide - wish it was broken down into two books (one for verbal and one for quant) or even five books (one for each section) because lugging around all the extra problems and solutions all the time is inconvenient.
Jenn Raley
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
The most important way to prepare for any standardized test is to practice, practice, practice.

This book contains a tremendous number of practice questions for all the various types of questions found on the GMAT.

The GMAT Review includes a very straightforward explanation of each type of question, as well as some general suggestions on how to approach each type of question.

I also used the Kaplan GMAT Premier to study, and found that book to have better explanations of the practice question answe
Leonard
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must have if you plan on taking the GMAT.

Make sure that you buy the Princeton Review or Kaplan Review as well. This book alone will not get the job done. Primarily, I used this book as reference material. In other words, it's only use for me were the practice questions - which are taken from old tests.

The answer explanations - while correct - are not helpful. The GMAT is a timed test and if you try and solve every math problem the way the book describes you WILL run out of time. The same is tr
Kimbo
May 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't taken the GMAT yet, but I have to review this book because it kind of sucks and it's frustrating. I have found more than several misprints, and just some weird information in there that just isn't right. I bought this because I wanted at least a feel for what I am going to be up against when I take the actual GMAT, but I can't believe how there are misprints and inaccuracies in this book. How will people be truly prepared, if that's the case?!

The math review is helpful, but there is litt
Haneen Alshujairy
Had to give up on this one, go out and buy the 13th edition.
It has basic explanations and lots of practice questions which is exactly what I want but since they keep renewing the GMAT exam a couple of weeks later I found out that there is a new section called "integrated reasoning" that was added to the exam, so now it's one essay question, one integrated reasoning instead of two essay questions.
It doesn't change a lot but I'd have to recommend buying the newer version since the old one only m
Abdurrahman AlQahtani
A great "practice" guide, with lots and lots of questions and their answers, explained, which are very similar to those you get in the real exam. It also lists briefly some good strategies for each of the GMAT sections. On the other hand, I don't believe this can be a great "study" or "prep" guide simply because it lacks tools and techniques on how to improve your score and learn how to do better.
For serious GMAT takers, I recommend this book only after getting another source on GMAT preparation
Lowell
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I purchased Kaplan 2010-2011 GMAT Premier to study GMAT concepts (EXCELLENT resource for techniques and application), then the GMAT Review 12th Edition (with 800 actual test questions) to practice the Kaplan concepts.

Result: I did better on the GMAT than I could have ever imagined. I highly recommend using Kaplan for the concepts, and the GMAT Review for practice.
Kim
Jul 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
This book has testing, but I ended up skipping the "study" section. It's explanations were the equivalent of
What is 2+2
4 - Because 2 + 2 is 4.

Not the best example, but the point is they just basically restated the correct answer as the explanation.

But, I think this book is a necessary study material because its written by the test makers
Ahmad Shuhait
this book is really awesome, it moved me to another world, learned a lot about the different way of thinking and judging the subjects.

thanks for all team members involved in writing this book

kind regards,
Ahmad
Radhika
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: myshelf
I used the book for my GRE preparation. The verbal section is easier as compared to what you see in GRE exams, so I started with this book to make myself comfortable with the arcane passages coming in for the exams.
Dan Schiff
So many amazing practice questions! Data sufficiency still sucks though.
يوسف زهدى
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
A structured approach to study GMAT with small chapter to study then many long chapters of questions on various sections with answers detailed to the extent of why each wrong answer is wrong!
Kyle Jones
With few new questions and none for the new section, it's a weak upgrade
Amiruddin Nagri
Jul 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Prospective MBAs
Shelves: personality, book
One of the best MBA book written to date, I will be preparing for GMAT and this is a must and top of the list to read
Colin
Nov 13, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
stay away from this book. it makes you feel dumb.
Kristine
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic
Basically a book of prior GMAT questions to study and review. Good to use in conjunction with the Princeton Review book.
Mr Graham Allison
Mar 01, 2014
  • Cracking the GMAT 2008 [with DVD]
  • How To Get Into the Top MBA Programs
  • Essential Words for the GRE
  • Complete Guide to the Toefl Test: IBT/E(Complete Guide to the Toefl Test)
  • Essentials of Organizational Behavior
  • Business Essentials (MyIntroBusinessLab Series)
  • I Always Look Up the Word 'Egregious'
  • TOEFL iBT: The Official ETS Study Guide (McGraw-Hill's TOEFL iBT)
  • Physical Chemistry
  • The Computer Music Tutorial
  • On Course: A Week-By-Week Guide to Your First Semester of College Teaching
  • The Cross and the Crescent: Christianity and Islam from Muhammad to the Reformation
  • Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes [With CDROM]
  • Financial Accounting [with CD-ROM]
  • Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
  • The Philosophy of Language
  • ASVAB For Dummies
  • Organic Chemistry a short course text book and studyguide/solution manual set