Start by marking “Dreaming Metal” as Want to Read:
Dreaming Metal

Dreaming Metal

(Dreamships #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  247 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Scott returns to the world of her earlier novel, Dreamships, and, as in several of her novels, takes up the theme of artificial intelligence. Persephone is a planet racked by class struggle and economic and political upheaval. Celinde Fortune is an entertainer - an illusionist who makes good money but plays the Empire Theatre, a venue that also books socially controversial ...more
Published June 15th 1997 by Tor Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming Metal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming Metal

really liked it 4.00  ·

Just_ann_now
Tautly written, well-characterized, fabulous worldbuilding, extremely topical. If she had written this last year, instead of twenty years ago, she'd be racking up the awards. Life is unfair!
Nora
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
If I were breaking up with this book, I would say, "It's not you, it's me." I don't think I was intelligent enough to understand what was going on in this novel. There were so many technologies, ethnic groups, etc. that were never fully explained. I don't think I have the right kind of brain for world-building of that type. For example, there were two extremist groups, one called Realpeace and the other Dreampeace. Those sound so similar to me I didn't even realize there were two until
Heather
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this novel. The characters are highly original and interesting, from the three main point-of-view characters to the members of Fanning’s band, the workers at Fortune’s theater, and the members of Jian’s piloting team. There are low-key same-sex relationships, nicely presented as completely normal, which I love. The various caste and political troubles can of course be used to reflect on some of the issues of today–and in the case of AI rights, a topic which we’re presumably goi ...more
K.V. Johansen
Dreaming Metal starts more slowly than Dreamships, of which it is a continuation, and gathers force as it unfolds. The focus on artists/performers brings a different perspective to the technology of the world, and to the subject of artificial intelligence, which I very much enjoyed. The suspense, the background of politics and terrorism, the story of people trying to carry on with their lives and work in this ongoing situation, is really well done. In the end, I liked Dreaming Metal, and the new ...more
Charl
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Outstanding! I was riveted all the way through.

(view spoiler)

Interesting characters, a fascinating story, and a major dramatic climax, all set in a plausible futuristic setting. I strongly recommend it.
Kat Heatherington
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
like Dreamships, this one is slow to get rolling, but then gathers so much momentum so fast, you can't put it down. I loved the AI story from the perspective of theatre people, the odd bends that make this sequel run so much more smoothly than Dreamships, and I also love Reverdy's role in the story, the fact of her presence. Haunting and exhilarating.
Paul Calhoun
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I see reviews saying it's a slow start, and I agree with that wholeheartedly. In fact, it's hard for me to review this because I think of them as two different books. The first half is a slow political drama which I never really got into while the second half is a faster, more interesting look at art and the impact of art on society.
Griffin Files
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Took me a few chapters to get into this one but once I did I loved it
Alexandra
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I missed a first-in-the-series, here, which is a bit frustrating; I'm usually pretty good about not doing that. Anyway, if it's going to bug you like it annoys me, go read Dreamships first. This one will wait.
Scott likes tackling hard topics, and here she's asking - when does intelligence become intelligence? When can, in crude terms, a computer be regarded as a being in its own right? Does there have to be a deliberate effort on the part of humans for it to happen, or could it develop accident
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to Melissa Scott's "Dreamships." It mostly functions as a standalone novel, with different (although somewhat overlapping) main characters and a separate (although linked) story, but I would still recommend reading Dreamships first, just because the world that Scott creates here is complex, full of different political and racial factions, which are easier to keep track of if you read them in order (which I didn't).
The planet here is an industrial colony, built underground on a
Benjamin
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-sf, music
While reading this, I had this feeling of gratitude, like, Scott really gets it. The book came out in the 90s and it's about a band and a stage magician and how domestic, nationalist terrorism is messing with them and making every artistic decision a political one. It seems like it is even more right on right now then it was back then. I also appreciate it that although almost all of the main characters are either female or gay, the book itself isn't about that. It's the future, and nobody reall ...more
JW
Jun 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
One thing I love in a story is a setting you can tell the storyteller really put some thought into making unique and real. Which is the reason I stopped watching the new Battlestar Galactica. Melissa Scott has done that and the results are incredible. There’s established ethnic and political and artistic histories and conflicts that are not only detailed and completely natural but actually impact that characters and story.

Speaking of which, fortunately, the story is good, too. I think it’s a sta
Lissa Notreallywolf
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Victoria Gaile
I liked this better on second read. Although in theory it stands alone, it really makes much more sense when read with knowledge of what happened five years beforehand, in Dreamships: those events cast a long shadow over the individuals and societies in this story. The main characters in that book are secondary or background characters in this one.

Two of the viewpoint characters in this book are performers: Fortune is an illusionist -- not the fantasy-magic kind, the smoke and mirrors kind; and
Chris Jackson
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good. The setting and plot are wonderful. I might have wanted a bit more history, but not bad in that department. The reader kind of knows where the story is going early on, but getting there is nail-biting fun.
Only two things about this novel bothered me, and these are "personal preference" things, so if you read this and think "meh" this novel was written more for you than me. First there are multiple POV's (not a bad thing) but some are written first person, while others are third person
Joy
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This early in the year, I already have a candidate for Favorite Sci Fi Read. Melissa Scott's greatest skill is showcased in this book - portraying the creative process. The viewpoint characters are Fortune, a stage magician; Fanning, a band member; and Jian, a pilot who was traumatized by a near-AI a few years before DREAMING METAL begins. Their planet is in the grip of a terrorist movement, but Fortune and Fanning are focused on expanding their abilities in spite of the chaos around them. Now F ...more
John
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book and it's prequel, Dreamships, have a very interesting approach to the connected qustions of ill-distributed human rights and the possibility of artificial intelligences.
Stevelvis
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
DREAMSHIPS and DREAMING METAL by MELISSA SCOTT -- Two books written years apart, both examining the technology and social, legal, and moral implications of Artificial Intelligence in a futuristic space setting.
Niall519
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Unusual and surprising. I never expected to read a book neatly combining the life of musicians and stage magicians, and the development of AI before. Full points to the author for trying that, and for pulling it off.
Riversue
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best Melissa Scott ever. Grabs you and pulls you in right to the last page. Profound insight into the meaning of being human.
Offbalance
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Few cyberpunk authors ever captured the potential for machines (AI or otherwise) to create things that are beautiful as well as Scott did in this book. One of her best, without question.
M. Winslow
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Reminded me of William Gibson. Complicated world, had to concentrate to get into it.
Aeolis
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book. I've read it over and over again.
Beth
Aug 05, 2010
Eva Mostraum
Oct 06, 2014

• Virtual Girl
  • Messiah Node (LINK Angel, #3)
  • The Bohr Maker (The Nanotech Succession, #1)
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • Nekropolis
  • Logos Run
  • The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop
  • Alanya to Alanya
  • Solitaire
  • The Fortunate Fall
  • Mindplayers
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)
  • White Queen (White Queen, #1)
  • Carnival
  • Smoketown
  • The Best of C.L. Moore
  • Picoverse
  • Slow River
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia

Dreamships (2 books)