Start by marking “Deep in the Brain: Living with Parkinson's Disease” as Want to Read:
Deep in the Brain: Living with Parkinson's Disease

Deep in the Brain: Living with Parkinson's Disease

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews

At the age of forty-six, philosopher and university professor Helmut Dubiel was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. In the early stages of his sickness, fearing censure and ostracism, Dubiel did his utmost to conceal his condition. But when his symptoms became too obvious to camouflage, he was obliged to admit defeat and decided to undergo deep brain stimulation surgery. F

Published October 27th 2009 by Europa Editions (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Deep in the Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep in the Brain

Acacia Ives
this was very good, and I'll say it's got a great amount of information. I would say if you have interest or questions about the basics of Parkinson's this is a good book to read. I few years old but still gives a good idea of what it feels like to live with and age with the disease. Full review to come on my channel.
Karishma
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Being a student of neuropsychiatry, one can't help being curious about this slim volume of a memoir written by Helmut Dubiel, who was a professor of sociology in Germany when he was diagnosed with young onset Parkinson's disease.

So often considered by me and others like me as one of the more treatable of neurodegenerative conditions, I have realized that I tend to overlook the sheer havoc it wreaks in the life of the sufferer. Its classic description of a triad of slowness, rigidity and tremors
Ken
Jun 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-reads
A brilliantly written book.

Frankly, most books about Parkinson's are a bore, written by people whose literary greatness is largely work-in-progress. In addition, who wants to read another book on Parkinson's disease. Mr Dubiel, instead, merely uses his disease to provide insight into various issues such as stereotying, work life, medical advancement, the psyche etc.

A book that I can certainly relate to (Young Onset Person with Parkinson's as supposed to all the other stories' usual starting lin
Kiane
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast jeden zweiten Satz möchte ich zitieren, mit euch teilen, weil er so viel von dem beachreibt, was ich euch sagen möchte und was ich noch verstehen werde. Dubiel holt mich mit viel Leid und noch mehr Hoffnung aus einem Großteil meiner Angst und vielleicht, vielleicht mögt ihr das wissen. Wie es ist nie wieder Gesund zu werden und die Kontrolle über fast alles zu verlieren. Irgendwann.
Maureen M
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Worthwhile for its insights about the social impact of having Parkinson's Disease. The professorial interludes were too deep for me, but people who did better in philosophy class may enjoy them.
Paul